Options

Pineapples

jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in Finishing School
Hope you all can give me some advice on a photo challange I've been given. My mom would like a photograph of a pineapple for her new kitchen. I started with a black backdrop and available light. Before I even started shooting I thought I'd need some creative PP to make this work and now I feel more so. I will try some lighting for my next shoot, but does anyone have suggestions to make this look like more than just fruit?

Here's the pineapple with basic PP

DSC_1787_01.jpg

Here's with some artistic filters

DSC_1787.jpg

Thanks for any input you can give me.

P.S. Mods please relocate if necessary.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    The "filter gallery" in CS3 has a bunch of things you can do to it. I just ran it through artistic/poster edges and then distort/diffuse glow, and it came out looking quite print like. I'd just experiment until you find something you like!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    Thanks,

I reshot with a light background and added some textures. Any input?

yellow3copy2.jpg
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    The second iteration is much better IMO. If you could brighten up the pineapple a bit it would look great.
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Why do you feel like you need "creative PP" to produce a satisfying photograph of a pineapple?

Does your Mom have a requirement that the pineapple has to be presented in the same boring position one sees at every grocer and supermarket in the country? I'm not trying to be facetious here, as there is an existing decor and you want your art to work right.

Consider different perspectives, lens renderings, lighting setups, and color qualities. Pineapples have a lot more going on visually than most fruit--try to exploit that characteristic. Also, consider all the real and imaginary associations we have with pineapples. Surely some of these have visual and humorous value that you can tap into.

M
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Does your Mom have a requirement that the pineapple has to be presented in the same boring position one sees at every grocer and supermarket in the country

Yes, at least that's how I interpretted her request.

I did try to vary my lighting, but I'm simply not good enough a photographer yet to get it looking like more than your description above.

I value your frank criticism and would like to know what you think of it as presented below (beyond the same old boring position part).
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I'd run it by her again, as I would find that constraint to be pretty limiting. Position matters and is far more important that any post processing. But if all the art in the kitchen is similar, then you are doing fine.

RE: your image, I think you can do better. This looks like a pineapple pasted in front of a backdrop. Which it is, I guess. But it's very flat lighting wise. No depth, nor shadows. Unlike some fruit, pineapples have a significant three dimensionality to them plus unique texture, and it would be nice to have that brought forth in the image. Play with gooseneck lights.

I encourage you to think about the larger context of her kitchen. Are there going to be other prints hanging? Are they similar in concept? Will this clash? If this fits in just right with the other art, then declare victory, print, and frame.

M
    jsqueri wrote:
    Yes, at least that's how I interpretted her request.

I did try to vary my lighting, but I'm simply not good enough a photographer yet to get it looking like more than your description above.

I value your frank criticism and would like to know what you think of it as presented below (beyond the same old boring position part).
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Okay, thanks Miguel. I'll keep working with my lighting (I don't even know what a goose neck light is).

Maybe I'll try some other angles and see what I get.

Thanks again.