How to use a Nikon R1 speedlight system

NatLightPhotoNatLightPhoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 7, 2009 in Holy Macro
I have looked in lots of places, but I can't find a place that describes in detail how to best use the R1 speedlight system.

There is the Nikon site that has the PDF file with some examples, but I am looking for how to utilize ALL of the components that come with the system.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I know we have tons of macro shooters here, how many shoot with dedicated manufactured flash systems I don't know.....I for one use no flash but fill with reflectors (no batteries requiredmwink.gif).....but it might be helpful also to take this question to a very good free nikon forum......NIKON CAFE .......yes I refer people over there to here a lot also......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Can only give you some general ideas I've seen based on canon MT-24 users.

1. You need some diffusers for the heads - think Nikon make some (you may have them in the set) or gary fong puffer diffusers or copies seem popular.

2. You will either need to set the power ratios on the heads from around 2:1 to 4:1 to prevent flat looking shots or Position the heads so one is pointing more at the subject and the other pointing more at the background.

3. Not sure how used you are to using flash in macro but certainly on canon systems you have to get used to using FEC to adjust the exposure, this is assuming you are using the Nikon ttl. Normal to set the camera in manual and dial in settings such as F11,ISO100, 1/200th with the flash in ttl mode.

Brian v.