Options

flash follies

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited July 22, 2005 in Technique
How do I synchonize my camera (D70) and flash unit (SB600) so the camera knows the flash is mounted, ready to fire and get a meter reading based on that?

Currently I never know what will happen because the camera acts as if there is no flash.

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Angelo,

I also have a D70 and SB600. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'll take a stab at it. The key to using these two together is to mount the flash on the camera shoe and then turn both units on. It may seem strange, but several functions on the SB600 cannot be set until the unit is on the camera (D70). Once they recognize each other, everything else should be automatic if you have the SB600 set on iTTL.

Let me know if this helps. Maybe you can learn from some of my painful flash experiences!!

mitch
    Angelo wrote:
    How do I synchonize my camera (D70) and flash unit (SB600) so the camera knows the flash is mounted, ready to fire and get a meter reading based on that?

Currently I never know what will happen because the camera acts as if there is no flash.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Angelo,

I also have a D70 and SB600. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I'll take a stab at it. The key to using these two together is to mount the flash on the camera shoe and then turn both units on. It may seem strange, but several functions on the SB600 cannot be set until the unit is on the camera (D70). Once they recognize each other, everything else should be automatic if you have the SB600 set on iTTL.

Let me know if this helps. Maybe you can learn from some of my painful flash experiences!!

mitch
    Mitch - thanks for your help. I've done all of that except perhaps the iTTl thingy. What's that?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    What mode is the SB600 set on when you look at the display? You can cycle through the different modes by pressing the mode button. Start out by keeping the D70 on P.

Hope this helps.
    Angelo wrote:
    anybody?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    What mode is the SB600 set on when you look at the display? You can cycle through the different modes by pressing the mode button. Start out by keeping the D70 on P. Hope this helps.
    I didn't know there were different modes on the flash. I'll have to check. Is there a prefered mode?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Mitch - thank goodness you're willing to help because clearly I can't get another response in here.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I don't have any Nikon experience. However, briefly looking at the online manual:
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/CATALOG/SB600_UserManual.pdf

On page 13 is instructions for resetting the flash to default values that will make the flash go into TTL mode.

If that doesn't get things working, then page 25 goes into the various modes and how to enter them.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    You might want to check out the Speedlight forum over at nikonians.org.

I found this link there to Nikons Singapore site that has some good info.....

Nikon Singapore Tech Support

The SB 600 and 800 are very powerful tools, but they do have something of a learning curve. I've been working on refining my technique for a while, but I still have a way to go.

I'm trying a new scheme this weekend for a wedding that I've been practicing this week. If the results are not totally hideous, I'll post some after.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Thanks guys, I will certainly review the information at those links and try to resolve the problem.

The flash functions and I am able to adjust it, my problem is getting a meter read in the camera (eg; underexposed) as if the flash were not mounted at all.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    With Canon cameras there is a flash exposure compensation (FEC) that can be set from -2EV to +2EV that controls the flash output. Maybe the Nikon has the same and the setting is at -2EV?

Just brain-stormin' mwink.gif
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks guys, I will certainly review the information at those links and try to resolve the problem.

The flash functions and I am able to adjust it, my problem is getting a meter read in the camera (eg; underexposed) as if the flash were not mounted at all.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Angelo,

I'm here for you!! I feel your pain. If you recall, I was bemoaning the poor documentation regarding the use of the SB600 several months ago. Although I'm no expert now, my flash shots are turning out pretty darn good.

Shay brings up a great point. I have inadvertently changed the flash value compensation a few times (near the on/off switch). Personally, I find our camera/flash combo underexposes a bit. I do sometimes play with the compensation +.3 or +.6.

You should start by setting the camera on P, EV 0, and the SB600 set to iTTL mode. Trouble getting to these settings? Just let me know and I'll try to help. Take some shots with these settings. I think you will be pleased. Perhaps you may need to bump up the exposure compensation a bit.

Good luck!

mitch
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Angelo,

I'm here for you!! I feel your pain. If you recall, I was bemoaning the poor documentation regarding the use of the SB600 several months ago. Although I'm no expert now, my flash shots are turning out pretty darn good.

Shay brings up a great point. I have inadvertently changed the flash value compensation a few times (near the on/off switch). Personally, I find our camera/flash combo underexposes a bit. I do sometimes play with the compensation +.3 or +.6.

You should start by setting the camera on P, EV 0, and the SB600 set to iTTL mode. Trouble getting to these settings? Just let me know and I'll try to help. Take some shots with these settings. I think you will be pleased. Perhaps you may need to bump up the exposure compensation a bit.

Good luck!
    mitch
    Mitch - I'm going to try your suggestions as well as Shay's and David's on Sunday (I'm working a trade show through Saturday night). I'm sure the exposure settings will work fine. I'm hoping to learn how to get the camera to give me a proper meter read. (gosh I hope I'm explaining this correctly) I can use my flash and I know how to adjust the flash's settings but if I'm looking in my camera and setting up a shot the meter will indicate that flash is needed because the scene is too dark. Doing my best guessing, I get a decent flash shot with proper adjustments but I AM guessing.

I think the mode setting and this iTTL thing you mentioned will probably fix this. (seems logical) I can't wait to try. Thanks again... to everyone!