edited July 1, 2006 in People
"I got somethin' to say
It's better to burn out than fade away......."

Def Leppard, July 10th, Frontier Field in Rochester NY

Canon 20D, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 ISO100-800 F2.8-F4.0

29146124-L.jpg

Lead singer Joe Elliot - Pour some sugar on meeeeeeee

29146117-L.jpg

Bassist Rick Savage - What do ya want? What do ya want? I want Rock and roll....you betcha

29146113-L.jpg

Guitarist Viv Campbell - Bringin' on the Heartbreak

29146110-L.jpg

Lead Guitar Phil Collen - Fa fa fa Foolin'

29146118-L.jpg

One-armed drummer Rick Allen getting his props

29146105-L.jpg

To see more web-sized shots click here

I had a ball shooting these guys and Bryan Adams (pics to follow). This was the first venue I was able to bring a decent camera into. Everyone around me was "chimping" right along with me....lol

I'm finally back after 12 days in NY. I hope you enjoy these shots :D And yes I saw the concert thread, but I've waited 10 days to share these with my friends here and thought they deserved their own thread :rolleyes

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    party on, dude! ylsuper.gifDJ.gif
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    Keep on rockin in the free world, old dude:D
    Nice capturesthumb.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yeah...cheerleader.gif oh sorry... best I could do..rolleyes1.gif (great shots)
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    You must have been pretty close to the front to get that detail with a 200mm lens thumb.gif(and a Sigma at that :giggle).

Thanks for sharing
    regards
    alan
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Hey again Steve!
    Wow, really cool rock and roll shots you got there!
    They make me really want to go to a big rock concert (something I haven't done in a while, and I really miss it).

Thanks for sharing the goods! ylsuper.gif
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Those photos make me wish I were younger (or my husband were, he is younger what is wrong here?), and very glad that I can turn my hearing aids down.

Looks like a blast! WHAT??! A BLAST! ........ nevermind,glad you enjoyed!

ginger (been there, in my dreams..)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Andy,
    It was a blast. I just wish I was about 6 inches taller.....lol

Thanks for all your help on the other matter :D My wife and daughter enjoyed the tour and were gushing about it for days thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 21, 2005
    Keep on rockin in the free world, old dude:D
    Nice capturesthumb.gif
    Laughing.gif Thanks John (I think) :D

I was so excited to finally be able to get a decent sized camera/lens into a concert that I was shaking rolleyes1.gif Good thing I was able to get some fast speeds...lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 21, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    yeah...cheerleader.gif oh sorry... best I could do..rolleyes1.gif (great shots)
    Thanks Lynn :D

I was fairly close, but always behind some tall person with a big head....lol Isn't that always the way it works out? ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 21, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    You must have been pretty close to the front to get that detail with a 200mm lens thumb.gif(and a Sigma at that :giggle).

Thanks for sharing
    regards
    alan
    Thanks Alan :D

Yeah, I was pretty close. The first shot was at full wide, I believe (110mm FOV). I can't complain about the Sigma. I got some really nice results despite lights flashing all over and people's hands and heads in the way rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Laughing.gif Thanks John (I think) :D

I was so excited to finally be able to get a decent sized camera/lens into a concert that I was shaking rolleyes1.gif Good thing I was able to get some fast speeds...lol

Steve
    How did you get the camera in? Most shows I go to will not let "professional cameras" in. They just let P&S and camera phones in. So far I've only got my 20D into one show.
    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited July 22, 2005
    Wow, really cool rock and roll shots you got there!
    They make me really want to go to a big rock concert (something I haven't done in a while, and I really miss it).

Thanks for sharing the goods! ylsuper.gif
    Take care!

-- thiago
    Thanks Thiago :D

I've always longed to have a camera at concerts but after having my 717 and 828 "held at the door" a couple of times, I had pretty much given up taking cameras to concerts. The only ones I ever saw at those concerts were those tiny ones that could be snuck through security. When my daughter told me we were going to this concert, I asked her to check the camera policy. She found out that still cameras were fine, but no video or tape recorders were allowed. I was still leery until I walked through the turnstile with my 20D. I only saw one other Dslr there and I think the person using it worked for the local newspaper (my shots looked better than what I saw in the paper the next day rolleyes1.gif )

Bottomline is that many venues won't allow decent sized cameras so unless you want an usher "babysitting" your camera during a concert, make sure you can get it in before you leave home ne_nau.gif

I hope you have similar luck as I had on my trip to NY thumb.gif While it's tough to move to the music and shoot, it was an experience I will never forget :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Those photos make me wish I were younger (or my husband were, he is younger what is wrong here?), and very glad that I can turn my hearing aids down.

Looks like a blast! WHAT??! A BLAST! ........ nevermind,glad you enjoyed!

ginger (been there, in my dreams..)
    Thanks Ginger :D

Younger? This concert crowd was mostly made up of middle aged folks. Some even brought their kids. At 55 years old I fit right in...lol Plus, the music wasn't so loud that I continued to hear it long after I left the concert (like some concerts I've attended).

The best part of the concert was that I was able to enjoy it with my 22 yo daughter who has excellent taste in music.....lol She loves that oldtime rock-n-roll thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 22, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    How did you get the camera in? Most shows I go to will not let "professional cameras" in. They just let P&S and camera phones in. So far I've only got my 20D into one show.
    Nick
    Nick,
    See my response to Thiago. I was amazed that they not only let my 20D in, but let it in with the, fairly large/long", 70-200mm attached ne_nau.gif I was just glad I didn't have to use the "lens in the pants" scheme that Andy used for the Sting concert :lol Is that a 70-200 in your pants, or are you just happy to see me? lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I've also called ahead of time but sometimes they have told me I could bring one in on the phone but at the venue it was a whole different story. Glad you got yours in, very nice pictures.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    What's all this old dude, old time rock n roll stuff.
    I'll have ya know we set the world on fire and rockin and haven't stopped yet :D

Extremely kewl, Steve, good work good shots great you got to take your daughter. Thanks for pointing me here thumb.gif

Rock on Dude, makes me want to talk like Jeff Spicolie!! :lol4
    Here I'll trade a link with ya. Got myself involved in shootin for SoCal Blues Org. and boy it's fun with some really old times and rockin Blues. Check it out when you get a chance:

Aunt Kizzys Boys

and

Melvin Eddy Blues

and link to galleries here

Events
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Great shots thumb.gif I remember when the drummer lost his arm in a car crash not far from where i live on one of my favourite motorbike roads
    Regards
    Gary
  • AnnabellaAnnabella Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005

I was fairly close, but always behind some tall person with a big head....lol Isn't that always the way it works out? ne_nau.gif

Steve
    HEY! That "tall person with a big head" was me rolleyes1.gif

Excellnt! clap.gif
  • CharlemagneCharlemagne Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Wow.. Steve, these are all great, bringing back memories alright.. and I can't believe that Phil Collen looks no different.. that is amazing... everyone else looks aged.. he looks the same.. wierd..

Charles
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 29, 2005
    Def Lepard is still alive!!! lol3.gif

Nice shots Steve thumb.gif (I learned how to solo on a guitar to those guys in the background)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited July 29, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    What's all this old dude, old time rock n roll stuff.
    I'll have ya know we set the world on fire and rockin and haven't stopped yet :D

Extremely kewl, Steve, good work good shots great you got to take your daughter. Thanks for pointing me here thumb.gif

Rock on Dude, makes me want to talk like Jeff Spicolie!! :lol4
    Here I'll trade a link with ya. Got myself involved in shootin for SoCal Blues Org. and boy it's fun with some really old times and rockin Blues. Check it out when you get a chance:

Aunt Kizzys Boys

and

Melvin Eddy Blues

and link to galleries here

Events
    Laughing.gif and thanks Ben,

Hey we may be old, be we ain't dead rolleyes1.gif yet!

You're right about old rock. I just wish there were some new rockers that I could enjoy watching or listening to ne_nau.gif All of my favorite bands have at least one foot in the grave lol3.gif Some, like the Stones, look mostly dead even if they are still technically alive :lol

I've been shooting some Bay Area landmarks for Baldy, so I'll check out your blues links later tonight. I'm sure they rock ylsuper.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 29, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Great shots thumb.gif I remember when the drummer lost his arm in a car crash not far from where i live on one of my favourite motorbike roads
    Regards
    Gary
    Thanks Gary :D ,
    Yeah , I was amazed that he didn't miss a beat. My daughter told me he plays the "missing arm" part with his other foot. So I guess he's a two-footed, one-armed drummer :): Kinda rare.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 29, 2005
    Annabella wrote:
    HEY! That "tall person with a big head" was me rolleyes1.gif

Excellnt! clap.gif
    Laughing.gif Annabella, since I found out that you live in the Rochester area, I stongly suspected that one of those big heads belonged to you rolleyes1.gif J/K

Being almost 6 ft tall, the big heads didn't bother me as much as the waving arms in the air. I tell ya, those chicks were goin' nutz....lol I guess that's why most boys dream of becoming rock and roll stars rolleyes1.gif "Money for nothin' and the chicks for free" biggrinbounce2.gif

Thanks for your nice comments :D
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 29, 2005
    Wow.. Steve, these are all great, bringing back memories alright.. and I can't believe that Phil Collen looks no different.. that is amazing... everyone else looks aged.. he looks the same.. wierd..

Charles
    Charles,
    I have seen lots of "oldtime" rockers with my daughter. Groups like Aerosmith, The Scorpians, Lynard Skynard and the Stones. They all looked OLD. I was amazed at how good the whole group looked. No makeup and they all looked to be in their 30's rolleyes1.gif I thought sex and drugz and rock and roll were supposed to age a person ne_nau.gif These fellas have aged very well. But, I have to agree with you about Phil. He looks like he's still in his 20's :uhoh And he sure does play a mean lead iloveyou.gif

Thanks for your comments :D
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 29, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Def Lepard is still alive!!! lol3.gif

Nice shots Steve thumb.gif (I learned how to solo on a guitar to those guys in the background)
    Thanks Doc :D

Yep, still alive and still rockin' and a rollin' They are my 22 year old daughter's favorite band. She sees them whenever they play Upstate NY. I was glad for her company and she held my beer while I was shooting :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mgmphotographicsmgmphotographics Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Awesome dude!
    Great shots!!! clap.gif I live in Rochester too! How did I miss this? Must be the tumor. Keep on rockin'! thumb.gif

Mara
    edited June 28, 2006
    Great shots!!! clap.gif I live in Rochester too! How did I miss this? Must be the tumor. Keep on rockin'! thumb.gif

Mara

Laughing.gif MGM, ain't those tumahs a bummer? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the kudos :D Looking back at these, I can see where I definitely needed some post processing help rolleyes1.gif The first pic was rotated a few degrees and I didn't crop it, so there is white showing in the upper righthand corner....Laughing.gif Plus some of them could have used some added saturation.

I have since re-editted most of them and given them their own gallery here, including full size versions, if you are interested mwink.gif

My daughter says lots of acts come to Frontier Field, so keep checking the D&C. Plus, it's one of the only venues that ever let me take a "pro" level camera and lens inside clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mgmphotographicsmgmphotographics Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Laughing.gif MGM, ain't those tumahs a bummer? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the kudos :D Looking back at these, I can see where I definitely needed some post processing help rolleyes1.gif The first pic was rotated a few degrees and I didn't crop it, so there is white showing in the upper righthand corner....Laughing.gif Plus some of them could have used some added saturation.

I have since re-editted most of them and given them their own gallery here, including full size versions, if you are interested mwink.gif

My daughter says lots of acts come to Frontier Field, so keep checking the D&C. Plus, it's one of the only venues that ever let me take a "pro" level camera and lens inside clap.gif

Steve

No, I really have a brain tumor. Hard to shoot with onna those man.

Mara
  • leekleek Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    It was good to see your shots Steve - Thanks...

I saw Def Leppard when they were just starting out back in 1979 when they played at my University in London.
    The drummer still had two arms then and they were playing the college circuit...

Not meaining to hi-jack the thread, but I just rummaged around in my shoeboxes and found a couple of faded prints from the concert...

78916747-M.jpg
    78916746-M.jpg

Good to see that they're still rocking...
    Cheers, John

Leek's Smugmug Gallery
    Nikon D200, D70; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4; 18-70mm; 105mm; 80-400VR; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Thanks Doc :D

Yep, still alive and still rockin' and a rollin' They are my 22 year old daughter's favorite band. She sees them whenever they play Upstate NY. I was glad for her company and she held my beer while I was shooting :lol

Steve

The pics show that you had a great time steve and I always knew there were advantages to having children "she held my beer while I was shooting :lol "

Shay.