InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited December 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
30 meters deep!
_3030299.jpg

Inside a sunken building.
_3031674.jpg

Taken with the Nikon 10.5
_3031696.jpg

Diving is really a great opportunity, but its really serious stuff. Most of the time, I get up and realize none of us had any fun. We were all busy with watching out depths, times, air quantity. Make no mistake, diving is serious business for serious people. You will never see a smile underwater.

There are incredibly dangerous animals underwater.
_3030630.jpg

You must ask the fish for permission to enter their world.
_3030616.jpg

This one didn't say much though.
_3030622.jpg

There is no one to ask directions from.
_3030522.jpg

Your regulator could fall out at any time, and you could die.
_3030605.jpg
_3030610.jpg

Its nearly impossible to tell up from down underwater.
_3030633.jpg

Yep, its serious business down there.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    That's something I could never do, but I love looking at photos taken under water. Your 3rd one thumb.gif I love the light coming through.
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Nice pics and great narration. Fun set!
  • TW0RTW0R Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Liar! You said there are no smiles underwater!!

What kind of housing did you use for your cam?
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Thanks! Some dives I'll get quite a few I like, and others, I'll run into some problem or another that results in nothing I like.

The housing I use is the Ikelite housing, with my D300. I also have some strobes. Its an absolute BEAST underwater. I'm also so busy with training dives and taking customers down, its difficult to find dive time to use it. Pretty much, when you bring something this big underwater, it takes all your attention. I'm sure a smaller setup would be better and get more use. but oh well. I really hope to have some more time in the future to take it down. Thanks for looking!
  • WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Those are great! clap.gif Two things I want to do in life: scuba dive, and then take my camera with me.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Quite different!!! You will have to explain your set up!
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Quite different!!! You will have to explain your set up!

Thanks!

I've got a D300, and I normally use the Sigma 10-20 or the Nikon 10.5. I've tried to get the Nikon 50mm to work, more for the close up of fish, but haven't quite got that to work yet. Really, I've been so busy with other things, I haven't had much opportunity to try.

Anyway, the housing is an Ikelite housing. They are faily generic. Housings only differ from one camera to the next by placement of the controls. Other housing makers for example have housings that fit around the curves of the camera. The advantage of the Ikelite system is reduced cost, since the basic housing can be massed produced to fit every single SLR out there. The disadvantage is since the generic housing must fit every DSLR, its actuallly quite large. Larger than it could be.

I do have strobes which are mounted on arms. U/W I find that strobes really help in many cases. Helps with the color. Sure, some photos work really well with the whole "mysterious green" look but below say, 5-10 meters, you really need additional light to bring back the color. For example, there tape on my strobe cord. RED TAPE. But at 30 meters, I spotted it the other day and it looked purple brown. Sometimes, I shock myself at depth when I move my torch over some part of a ship wreck and the coral flashes red, orange and yellow. So, yeah, if you want to see the real colors, you need strobes.

Of course, using them riight is another can of worms.

The last part of a UW system in, IMO, is a wide angle lense. If you are shooting a single fish, then a macro is useful, but its important to get up close to things, and for that, you really need a wide angle lens. Hence why both of the lenses I use primarily are wide angles. I've seen other divers who have smaller systems. There are Wide angles usually available for them, but you can instantly see the difference a WA makes. Opens up new angles and possiblities.

A lot of people just swim along, shooting down on the fish, which believe it or not, blend in really really well when looking down on them. They are stunned in the immediate improvement they get when I tell them, at the very least to shoot on the level, and its often best to shoot up at things. Wide angles allow you to do that better than say, a 24mm lens. The downside in my system is that the lens port on my system is this ginormous 8" dome. Its heavy as a sack of bricks and adds to the bulk of the sytem.

But, I do enjoy taking all this down and trying to get it to cooperate with me!:D

Just remembered, the final part of a systemm like this is insurance, GOBS OF IT!