Options

Finding Exif

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited December 15, 2009 in Finishing School
Tomorrow night I am doing a navigational car rally shoot and I thought I would check on the settings of my previous shoot. I am on CS4 and when I selected a photo I then clicked on File and then File Information. To my amazement it was blank. How do I go about getting my Exif details.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Howdy.

The data should be available in Bridge.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    Howdy.

Thanks for that but I never use Bridge.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 7, 2009
    Bob, go to your smugmug gallery and check your shot for the exif data there as well. It is probably there unless you saved the image for the web.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    If the EXIF is there, it should be the same in Photoshop and Bridge. You shouldn't need to use both. What type of image did you select, a raw file, a TIFF/PSD from raw, or an exported JPEG? The reason I ask is that if you export a JPEG from Photoshop with the settings a certain way, the EXIF will be stripped. Also if you download an image from Smugmug and it isn't the Original size, the EXIF will be stripped.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    There is also freeware from OPANDA that lets you view exif that is in any photo you clik on.......it is fun to use also where a person just shoots and uploads and has nothing in their signature about what cam they use and the other particlulars of the photos and you reply to their post with a WOW did not know that such and such cam would make pix that good....you shot this at 2 AM at f69 and it was without flash.....holy moly that is really good......and normally the response at least for me has been.....HOW THE H*** DID YOU GET THAT INFO......mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifwink

I find it amusing at how many people do not know about OPANDA..........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Bob, go to your smugmug gallery and check your shot for the exif data there as well. It is probably there unless you saved the image for the web.

Thanks for replying Pathfinder. I am probably doing this all wrong. The only photos I have put on Smugmug are the photos I have shown in Dgrin. Needless to say the photos I wanted to check are not in Smugmug I have saved them with the rest of my photos on a couple of external hard drives.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    If the EXIF is there, it should be the same in Photoshop and Bridge. You shouldn't need to use both. What type of image did you select, a raw file, a TIFF/PSD from raw, or an exported JPEG? The reason I ask is that if you export a JPEG from Photoshop with the settings a certain way, the EXIF will be stripped. Also if you download an image from Smugmug and it isn't the Original size, the EXIF will be stripped.

Thanks for replying Colourbox. I shoot raw and use CS4 and then Save As a Jpeg and then place that image in a file on my external hard drive. Is there a way of changing the settings to save the EXIF?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    There is also freeware from OPANDA that lets you view exif that is in any photo you clik on.......it is fun to use also where a person just shoots and uploads and has nothing in their signature about what cam they use and the other particlulars of the photos and you reply to their post with a WOW did not know that such and such cam would make pix that good....you shot this at 2 AM at f69 and it was without flash.....holy moly that is really good......and normally the response at least for me has been.....HOW THE H*** DID YOU GET THAT INFO......mwink.gifwinkmwink.gifwink

I find it amusing at how many people do not know about OPANDA..........................

Hi there Art. I am sure you know all the software in this game as you have advised me so many times in the past. I have never heard of Opanda but I will certainly look at it and let you know how I get on.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi there Art. I am sure you know all the software in this game as you have advised me so many times in the past. I have never heard of Opanda but I will certainly look at it and let you know how I get on.
    Regards
    Bob

I have looked at Opanda and it gives an excellent EXIF on the raw files I have yet to put through Photoshop but when I click on an image which I have processed through Photoshop into a Jpeg Opanda has stripped the EXIF. Is there any way of saving this EXIF in Opanda using my procedure?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I have looked at Opanda and it gives an excellent EXIF on the raw files I have yet to put through Photoshop but when I click on an image which I have processed through Photoshop into a Jpeg Opanda has stripped the EXIF. Is there any way of saving this EXIF in Opanda using my procedure?
    Regards
    Bob

When you are finished in Photoshop how do you save your jpeg?? do you use "SAVE AS" or "SAVE FOR THE WEB"??
    Save for the web strips ALL of the exif info from you images......SAVE AS preserves all of the exif data in an image........

Hope this helps.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    Howdy.

I have looked in Bridge and when I right click on the Jpeg image and then click on File Info once again I see the Exif has been stripped.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I have looked in Bridge and when I right click on the Jpeg image and then click on File Info once again I see the Exif has been stripped.

Still thinking about why it got stripped, but just mentioning that in Bridge you don't have to open File Info. The Metadata panel will tell you the same thing without opening a dialog.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    When you are finished in Photoshop how do you save your jpeg?? do you use "SAVE AS" or "SAVE FOR THE WEB"??
    Save for the web strips ALL of the exif info from you images......SAVE AS preserves all of the exif data in an image........

Hope this helps.............

Hi Art
    I always use "Save As" unless I inadvertently hit "Save"
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Still thinking about why it got stripped, but just mentioning that in Bridge you don't have to open File Info. The Metadata panel will tell you the same thing without opening a dialog.

Hi Colourbox,
    I have looked in the Metadata in Bridge and under Document Type is my Jpeg I scrolled right down and no mention of Shutter speed or Aperture and this was what I was really after.
    My other alternative is to do as Pathfinder said go into Smugmug and see if I can get it from there. As I replied to Pathfinder I have only been in the habit of putting photos in Smugmug that have appeared on Dgrin.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

Hi Pathfinder,
    I put the image through Smugmug but the EXIF only showed:- 1. Photo Dimensions 2. File name and 3. Photo size. To be honest I don't think there is a way to bring up an EXIF having processed a raw image through Photoshop CS4 into a Jpeg and saving it under "Save As" If this is the case all my previous photos which I have filed in Jpegs on a couple of external hard drives, I have no EXIF's for them and nothing to refer to.ne_nau.gif
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Pathfinder,
    I put the image through Smugmug but the EXIF only showed:- 1. Photo Dimensions 2. File name and 3. Photo size. To be honest I don't think there is a way to bring up an EXIF having processed a raw image through Photoshop CS4 into a Jpeg and saving it under "Save As" If this is the case all my previous photos which I have filed in Jpegs on a couple of external hard drives, I have no EXIF's for them and nothing to refer to.ne_nau.gif
    Regards
    Bob

I really am concerned about this and I am quite sure there are a lot of our DG members are in the same position.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I really am concerned about this and I am quite sure there are a lot of our DG members are in the same position.
    Regards
    Bob

Am I right in saying there is no way I can find the EXIF's of my saved images?
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Am I right in saying there is no way I can find the EXIF's of my saved images?

Curious ... why are you only saving the JPG but shooting in RAW? You should be saving and archiving the RAW file. That way all original data will remain with the file.

Aparently you are somehow inadvertently stripping the EXIF data when you convert to and save JPGs. Generally this is only done in PhotoShop by using "Save for Web" as I believe Art mentioned. Could you have inadvertently changed some settings in CS4 that allow removing EXIF with a simple "Save"? (I use CS2 and am not familiar with CS4 settings)

Anyway, to answer your question, if you have not saved the original "negative", the RAW file, and have inadvertantly stripped the EXIF on the JPG, then the answer is "Correct. You have lost the EXIF permanently".
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009

Curious ... why are you only saving the JPG but shooting in RAW? You should be saving and archiving the RAW file. That way all original data will remain with the file.

Aparently you are somehow inadvertently stripping the EXIF data when you convert to and save JPGs. Generally this is only done in PhotoShop by using "Save for Web" as I believe Art mentioned. Could you have inadvertently changed some settings in CS4 that allow removing EXIF with a simple "Save"? (I use CS2 and am not familiar with CS4 settings)

Anyway, to answer your question, if you have not saved the original "negative", the RAW file, and have inadvertantly stripped the EXIF on the JPG, then the answer is "Correct. You have lost the EXIF permanently".
    Once again I am probably totally wrong but the reason I shoot raw is because I understand more changes can be done to the raw image when putting it through Photoshop. This is getting more weird. I have rechecked some of my folder files on my hard drive and the majority of folders all have the EXIFS in the images. I find in three separate folders half of the images have had the EXIF stripped and the remainder have the EXIF. I processed all the images the same way through CS4 as raw and Saved As Jpegs. I am totally gobsmacked and beat why some images are stripped and others ok.
    Regards
    Bob
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Once again I am probably totally wrong but the reason I shoot raw is because I understand more changes can be done to the raw image when putting it through Photoshop. This is getting more weird. I have rechecked some of my folder files on my hard drive and the majority of folders all have the EXIFS in the images. I find in three separate folders half of the images have had the EXIF stripped and the remainder have the EXIF. I processed all the images the same way through CS4 as raw and Saved As Jpegs. I am totally gobsmacked and beat why some images are stripped and others ok.
    Regards
    Bob
    Regards
    Bob

I really hate to labour this, but is there anyone out there who can answer my problem.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 12, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I really hate to labour this, but is there anyone out there who can answer my problem.
    Regards
    Bob

If you just used Photoshop, there are only two things that occur to me. 1) You used "Save for Web" rather than "Save As." when you created the JPGs. 2) Your JPGs were composites from multiple sources: panos or HDRs.

There's one other case I'll mention because it's possible, though I can't see why anyone would want to do this. If you start processing in Photoshop by creating a New document as the background layer and then paste a copy of the pic in as a new layer, there will be no EXIF data from the pasted copy in the resulting file.

I'm guessing that you accidentally used "Save for Web." ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    If you just used Photoshop, there are only two things that occur to me. 1) You used "Save for Web" rather than "Save As." when you created the JPGs. 2) Your JPGs were composites from multiple sources: panos or HDRs.

There's one other case I'll mention because it's possible, though I can't see why anyone would want to do this. If you start processing in Photoshop by creating a New document as the background layer and then paste a copy of the pic in as a new layer, there will be no EXIF data from the pasted copy in the resulting file.

Thanks Richard I have checked some images where I have endeavoured to lighten up to reveal shadow detail by copying and pasting the image and I have discovered there is no EXIF. However, there are far too many without an EXIF and it would appear I probably have clicked SAVE instead of the SAVE AS. I will look into this and see what happens. I appreciate your reply as it really is frustrating to say the least.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Try going back to a raw file and immediately converting to JPEG without any edits, see if you get EXIF. If you do, something you are doing in the middle is stripping it, like the copy and paste mentioned above.
    canon400d wrote:
    I have looked in the Metadata in Bridge and under Document Type is my Jpeg I scrolled right down and no mention of Shutter speed or Aperture and this was what I was really after.

Well, this is what I see on a JPG in Bridge made from a raw...

738841500_4BKNy-S.png
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:

Hi Richard, I have tried several images and clicked on the Save and have discovered that the EXIFs are there in every image.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Try going back to a raw file and immediately converting to JPEG without any edits, see if you get EXIF. If you do, something you are doing in the middle is stripping it, like the copy and paste mentioned above.

Well, this is what I see on a JPG in Bridge made from a raw...

738841500_4BKNy-S.png

Hi Colourbox, I have done as you have said and tried a raw image and converted it to a Jpeg and the EXIF is there. I also get the same in Bridge as you have displayed. I have discovered that copying and pasting does away with the EXIF but as previously said there are too many images in various folders that have had the EXIF stripped and I haven't done any copy and pasting. Now I know there are so many images withing my system without EXIFs I will just have to monitor the situation more closely to try and see what is causing this.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    On a Windows PC, you can view basic Exif data in My Computer or Windows Explorer. Right-click on any JPG, select Properties, go to the Summary tab, and click the Advanced button. Basic Exif data shows as part of the Summary.

windows-exif-summary.jpg

You also have the option of turning this info on in the Details view in Explorer or My Computer. Switch a folder to Details view, right-click on the column headings at the top (where it says Name, Type, Size, etc), and a long list of available columns will appear, including a lot of the Exif data. Simply check any that you want enabled. Once they are enabled, you can drag them back and forth to put them in any order you prefer.

windows-exif-details.jpg

These tips work in Windows XP and above.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob

Hey Bob, did you use ANY other software on some of your pics? Maybe a batch rotator, or a utility to clean up noise, or adjust color, or compress the JPG for smaller file size, or anything else? Or even any kind of viewer or browser other than Photoshop, Bridge, or Windows Explorer? Any of those could explain why your Exif data disappeared from some of your pics but not all.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    Bob, are you absolutely certain you did not "Save for Web"? That does strip the exif data, routinely.

If you save 8 bit jpgs in the sRGB color space for uploading to smuggy it should have your exif data in it. I can find my exif data there in most of my images on smuggy.

Once again, why is this data so vital?

Here is a screen grab from my smuggy with the exif data displayed
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:

Opanda is great. However, I think you'll find this freeware program is even better:

http://www.photome.de/

Highly recommended.

Of course, neither program is going to help if the EXIF has already been stripped from the file.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    WillCAD wrote:
    Hey Bob, did you use ANY other software on some of your pics? Maybe a batch rotator, or a utility to clean up noise, or adjust color, or compress the JPG for smaller file size, or anything else? Or even any kind of viewer or browser other than Photoshop, Bridge, or Windows Explorer? Any of those could explain why your Exif data disappeared from some of your pics but not all.

Hi Willcad, that is brilliant one can learn something brilliant every day on here. A big thanks.
    Cheers
    Bob