Shooting Santa!!!

DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
edited December 8, 2009 in People
I volunteered to take photos at a car club event. The club had a Santa and wanted to offer photos with him to their members for a donation to a local kids charity. My lovely wife helped with the process:

734009140_NyyEV-X2.jpg

A couple of shots:

734010639_tZPE5-X2.jpg

734008260_PJ4gn-X2.jpg

Set up was 2 SB 800, one for fill, one for hair light, a SB 900 for key light. Key and fill were through umbrellas, hair light was high and wide angle cover -1.7 exp. I had no idea of the setting, the chair they had was super overstuffed and Santa sunk to new lows so we changed to a firmer more upright one. Downside, no one could sit on his lap. No holiday decorations in the room so we stole a fake tree with ornaments to move back behind the shot to hide a door and blond paneling that we covered with a red table cloth. Used gaffer's tape to create folds etc to get rid of the creases.

Camera was tethered to laptop for processing. We would take several shots and quickly crop/adjust the most pleasing one for the party to view and then immediately printed them on a Epson PM 290 that produces 4x6 borderless prints. We put them in a 5x7 photo folder with our card and the SMUGMUG address for the photos so they could have additional prints or products made.

Each photo took about 3 minutes to shoot process and print while we collected the fee which I donated to the charity. Had a lot of fun and got the guests involved in the posing and critique of which photo was best (could have been risky) but all comments were kind in fun.

Biggest challenge was getting proper exposure with Santa in the middle with all that white hair and beard.

As usual, C & C always welcome.

Deacon

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Great Shotsclap.gif

I took photos at the Christmas parade in Weaverville, NC and got some shots of the local mustang club. I contacted them and let them know I got photos of there members. They e-mail everyone in the club and I have already got picture sales from them. The parade was this last Saturday so I am very happy to already have a few sales from the event.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Very nice, Deacon thumb.gif The last one seems a bit underexposed, but nothing major. Well done, the one of your wife is really nice, too thumb.gif Good karma for you for volunteering and donating :D