8693.jpg

again tried to use different styles
--
Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Fantastic Yuri! Number 8 is my favourite.....seems like a shot that you would see on a billboard somewhere for an advertisement. Love it!

There is one question that I want to ask, and I think it is a cultural thing, but please correct me if I am wrong. I find that in the Eastern European countries, people don't tend to smile and show teeth. I have a huge amount of family in Croatia and it seems that none of them ever show their teeth while smiling. Is there a reason for that? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Joe

EDIT: Opps, sorry, I meant number 5 is my favourite!
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I find that in the Eastern European countries, people don't tend to smile and show teeth. I have a huge amount of family in Croatia and it seems that none of them ever show their teeth while smiling. Is there a reason for that? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Joe

EDIT: Opps, sorry, I meant number 5 is my favourite!

Hello, Joe! Yes, you are right.
    Must say that one must have special mood for a smile (in Russia we say 'laughter without reason - indication of fool').
    I myself mostly consider smile on the photo as an artificial thing, cause smiles are fleeting, transient and photographer must show what was the reason for it.

I prefer semi-smiles from time to time. Such a mystery so to say...

'Smiles and photo' - is a standard. I am happy - tells the hero. I am healthy. I am rich. and so on

For those who treat photography as 'not an art', snapshots.

Russian beauty is in grief.

Serious face tells much more about a character.

Just look at thousands of thousands of painted portraits of different countries and different times - rarely you will see smiling faces. And each portrait is a Story!

Hope you'll understand me. I am trying to make portraits not stock, but closer to art as you can see at my site. Portraits which force viewer to think.

Of course I make portraits of smiling faces from time to time...
    But only from time to time.
    Yuri
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hey Yuri,

Thanks for the response. I completely understand what you are saying and agree that serious portraits definitely can tell a story on their own.

I myself do find that a smile can be very inviting and warm. It can also be very mischevious also, which lends itself to something totally different depending on the setting.

Oh well, we're all different and we all enjoy different things. That's what makes life interesting I suppose.

Yuri, I do love your work, and look forward to seeing each new set that you post! :D Keep doing what you're doing because it is working out great for you. clap.gif

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hey Yuri,

Thanks for the response. I completely understand what you are saying and agree that serious portraits definitely can tell a story on their own.

I myself do find that a smile can be very inviting and warm. It can also be very mischevious also, which lends itself to something totally different depending on the setting.

Oh well, we're all different and we all enjoy different things. That's what makes life interesting I suppose.

Yuri, I do love your work, and look forward to seeing each new set that you post! :D Keep doing what you're doing because it is working out great for you. clap.gif

Take Care,
    Joe
    Thank you Joe for your kindest words - God gave me this gift - I am trying not to disappoint him :-)
    Yuri
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Oh, I love 3 and 4.

3 - Those eyes! But, that's what Yuri does sooooo well!!! I think I would remove some of the "fly-away" hairs from around her head, but this is a real winner of a photo!!

4 - her expression just draws me in. Lovely!!thumb.gif
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    I always enjoy your work and thanks for sharing your insight on the smile.

4,5,and 6 are the winners for me.
    #4 shows her beautiful eyes.
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Hi Yuri, once again another very nice set of photos. My favorite is #5, great colors. Your b&w seems to be your weak point for this set. The skin texture in #3 is a bit detracting. #6 needs a contrast adjustment, it appears flat. Keep them coming.thumb.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Very nice, Yuri thumb.gif I really dig #3, love the eyes and her look! I think I would have preferred it without the black thing on her left (her right on the photo) though.