Options

Shooting into the Sun

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited July 22, 2005 in Holy Macro
Yeah Yeah not suppose to do that, but this little boat crossed just at the right time I think :D

29180772-L.jpg

Kinda like selective color without any PS work, honest!!

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Not supposed to do that? Says who? I love shots taken into the sun! Then again, I don't like to follow rules that much... Your shot shows how it feels to be on a boat when the sun sets. Great job!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    The sun is your friend...i do it all the time...it gives the shot a lot of expression in my opinion. Love your shot.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    rules should only be applied when they apply to the situation.

I like the shot - to hell with the rules...
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    headscratch.gifI always do it too. In some cases I think it works very well...Like in this case!thumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    From what I know it is not the photography in the sun that is bad, it is looking towards the sun via a viewfinder lens that can be damaging for your eye.
    I have always been told not to look straight into the sun via a camera...
    I am a convinced rulebreaker but for this one I adapt because it can be true...
    and our eyes are our most precious possesion I think as photographers
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Way to go Ben. If it look sgood shoot it that is the only rule to follow! Excellent shot.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Not supposed to do that? Says who? I love shots taken into the sun! Then again, I don't like to follow rules that much... Your shot shows how it feels to be on a boat when the sun sets. Great job!
    I don't know who said that, but they were wrong lol3.gif
    Glad you like thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    The sun is your friend...i do it all the time...it gives the shot a lot of expression in my opinion. Love your shot.
    Afternoon Gus
    How's life ??
    Always enjoy seeing you reply to my work thumb.gif
    I did kinda figure you'd dig this one :D
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    rules should only be applied when they apply to the situation.

I like the shot - to hell with the rules...

thanks Phil
    works for me the "H" with the rules thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    headscratch.gifI always do it too. In some cases I think it works very well...Like in this case!thumb.gif

Thanks RahMonster
    Appreciate your input thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    From what I know it is not the photography in the sun that is bad, it is looking towards the sun via a viewfinder lens that can be damaging for your eye.
    I have always been told not to look straight into the sun via a camera...
    I am a convinced rulebreaker but for this one I adapt because it can be true...
    and our eyes are our most precious possesion I think as photographers

You are so right thumb.gif
    Just waited for the boat to cross and fired off a few shots, didn't spend a long time looking thru viewfinder.
    Very good advise
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Way to go Ben. If it look sgood shoot it that is the only rule to follow! Excellent shot.

thanks Eric
    glad you liked it !!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Afternoon Gus
    How's life ??
    Always enjoy seeing you reply to my work thumb.gif
    I did kinda figure you'd dig this one :D
    Life is good mate...got the biggest photographic challenge of my life in 2 days (big car race) & im charged up & ready to go.

The sun is ment to be photographed...why else would it be so bright.

19838403-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Ben, can I play? Love your shot
    Mine here needs some contrast, IMO, but i used to like it. They have filters that make stars when you shoot into the sun, or they used to. Probably any bright light.

Often I do try to put the sun "behind" something so it is not as intense, does not wash stuff out, but other times...................well the light and the sun can be part of the photo.

I like your shot and looks like you were at a fun place.

20293044-S.jpg

Another one, this one no one liked. Those bridges, the girders, the thing we were driving on, they are set to be knocked down and put in the ocean as a false reef for fish. Soon, very soon. It is already closed. The new bridge is open.

20671141-S.jpg

I have taken a lot of photos while driving over this bridge, knowing that they were going to tear it down..
    Photoshop has a filter with a star effect to put around the sun. I used that, people really hated it. I thought it was cool, I deleted all of them. I was trying to use this in a challenge.

Thanks, Ben, sorry for the hi jack, I do like your shot!

We are doing this for fun? Yeah, uh, huh. I have to take my dog to the vets today. Terrible skin stuff, both Corgis, actually. I think it is the heat. I was going to shoot. And the vet is going to use my "photo" money. But gotta do it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    I really like your black and white Ginger. Even with the star effect you are mentioning. I find it very interesting and eye catching.
    Hope vet for pups is fine...
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Life is good mate...got the biggest photographic challenge of my life in 2 days (big car race) & im charged up & ready to go.

The sun is ment to be photographed...why else would it be so bright.
    know what you mean. Went to another blues concert last night, am working on those tonight, and they asked me back for a sunday concert. Had a little problem, not with equip but with another so called pro photog type eek7.gif. But nonetheless was all pretty good, I'll try and post some tonight? Now I need a faster shorter lens and an SB800 Flash, Geeeeeeeezzzz I better get a better job :D

I remember the kite surf in the sun shot, I try not to forget good images!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Mine here needs some contrast, IMO, but i used to like it. They have filters that make stars when you shoot into the sun, or they used to. Probably any bright light.

Often I do try to put the sun "behind" something so it is not as intense, does not wash stuff out, but other times...................well the light and the sun can be part of the photo.

I like your shot and looks like you were at a fun place.

20293044-S.jpg

Another one, this one no one liked. Those bridges, the girders, the thing we were driving on, they are set to be knocked down and put in the ocean as a false reef for fish. Soon, very soon. It is already closed. The new bridge is open.

20671141-S.jpg

I have taken a lot of photos while driving over this bridge, knowing that they were going to tear it down..
    Photoshop has a filter with a star effect to put around the sun. I used that, people really hated it. I thought it was cool, I deleted all of them. I was trying to use this in a challenge.

Thanks, Ben, sorry for the hi jack, I do like your shot!

We are doing this for fun? Yeah, uh, huh. I have to take my dog to the vets today. Terrible skin stuff, both Corgis, actually. I think it is the heat. I was going to shoot. And the vet is going to use my "photo" money. But gotta do it.

ginger
    Yo G that's not a hijack these are added goodies :Dthumb.gif
    Let me know how your dogs are doing, fine I hope? Rotties get heat soars also, have to keep em clean and brush daily!!