Racetrack Valley

kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Posted some shots of the rocks on the playa a few weeks back (thanks for some great advice and pointers on those, BTW). Anyway, I also grabbed a few of the area. Wanted to show some context of the playa itself which is in an amazing location even without the moving rocks. And of course, you can't pass Teakettle Junction without taking a picture...

716676173_NjcTX-XL-1.jpg

716676612_deCMk-XL-1.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure on the processing of the first, fought with it a few times. And the bokeh in the 2nd is a bit crazy (oh well, too many photos of that sign anyway).

C&C always greatly apprectiated!

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I really like the Teakettle B&W. Did you camp out at the Racetrack? That's quite a hike you took to get the first photo. I like how lonely the Grandstand looks. Nice photosclap.gif
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Hi Aaron,

Thanks! No, fortunately I didn't have to walk from the playa to that vantage point. There is an old mine called "Lost Burro Mine" which has a rough road going to it from Hidden Valley (the valley just east of Racetrack Valley). That shot is taken from a ridgeline above the mine, so I only had to walk less than a mile and three or four hundred feet up to get there. I actually camped at the mine, took some shots at sunrise, did the playa at sunset, and then headed in to Saline Valley and over to the springs. It was a long day!

Ken
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Great captures!

The playa looks amazing, nice balance of shadow and light.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    bowdown.gif on the first shot!! I love everything about it (especially your story)