Options

People or Places?

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in Street and Documentary
My first post - I hope you like it.

I wasn't sure where to post this as it's about a day spent in Cairo but captured through it's people.

I recently had the good fortune to go to Cairo on business. It was my first visit to Egypt and one I'd been looking forward to for a while. I had one day free to do some sightseeing before heading back home. I made an early start and headed out to Sakkara where the first pyramids were built.

Unlike most of the tourists that day I was trying to capture the essence of the place through some candid shots of its people rather than the picture postcard shots of the pyramids that have been photographed on countless occasions.

This was easier said than done as most of the characters were there to make a quick buck by offering to pose for a photo in return for a fee. I wanted to avoid the stage managed aspect of this and fortunately had a lens that allowed me to do this. (Canon EOS 50D with 18-200mm lens)

720442705_ocaXn-M.jpg

After Sakkara I headed to Giza which was truly awe inspiring. it's difficult to find the words to express the scale and grandeur of the pyramids and the sphinx - you just have to see it in person.

720452052_7Ymen-M.jpg

From there I headed to the bazaar where these four girls were sat on a bench looking fabulous in their brightly coloured clothes.

720681579_cWHFf-M.jpg

The day was rounded off with a visit to the Egyptian museum where I reacquainted myself with Tuntankhamun after queueing for 3 hours to see him in London back in the 1970's - he hadn't aged one bit!

After the museum I headed back to the hotel and managed one last shot before the sun went down.

720449778_Y3pp3-M.jpg

Cairo was a fantastic, vibrant dynamic city. A real mixture of a frenetic pace of life underpinned with ancient customs and traditions going back centuries. I can't wait to return .

720452010_waAys-M.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    WOW...Great Captures clap.gif

I was surprised to see all the guys on the camels with baseball caps on.
    I thought all the men would be wearing turbans.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Nice photos, I especially like #1, 2 & 3.

I love Cairo / Egypt. It's almost too overwhelming to take any pics! thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I wasn't sure where to post this as it's about a day spent in Cairo but captured through it's people.
    I moved this to 'street & pj' for you. It's often a close call where something should go. If I do move threads, it's usually because I think it will get more/better views/replies in the new forum. It doesn't necessarily mean the original forum was 'wrong', though thumb.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    A really, really nice series. The first four especially.

My favorite is #3.

I really like the idea of the last one (modern vs ancient forms of transport) but something - maybe the crop - keeps it from working for me.

Thank you for bringing back memories of Cairo.

Looking forward to more posts from you!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    My first post - I hope you like it.

I recently had the good fortune to go to Cairo on business. It was my first visit to Egypt and one I'd been looking forward to for a while. I had one day free to do some sightseeing before heading back home. I made an early start and headed out to Sakkara where the first pyramids were built.

Unlike most of the tourists that day I was trying to capture the essence of the place through some candid shots of its people rather than the picture postcard shots of the pyramids that have been photographed on countless occasions.

This was easier said than done as most of the characters were there to make a quick buck by offering to pose for a photo in return for a fee. I wanted to avoid the stage managed aspect of this and fortunately had a lens that allowed me to do this. (Canon EOS 50D with 18-200mm lens)

First two are pretty typical tourist snaps...But that said, 3.4+5 are quite nice - four and five especially!clap.gifclap.gif (Three would be if the head of the girl on the left was turned like the other three)

Number 4 is a great catch - well composed. (You might want to try it in black and white rolleyes1.gif ). And five is a terrific capture of clashing cultures/worlds. Very nice.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Thanks
    Firstly, thank you for moving my post - I'm not sure how I missed this category first time round. Secondly, thank you for your comments - it's always interesting and often useful to hear what others have to say :D
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I really like the first one -- it shows a person thinking something and I like seeing that portrayed in a photo.

Thanks for sharing these with us :D