edited December 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Randy

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I think I found Amelia

Remarkably well preserved too! :D

Interesting image here Randy. You really created the vintage effect well. I like the way one only sees a portion of the plane which reinforces that the primary subject is the aviatrix.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Howdy Randy,

I'd say your PhotoShoot was quite a success if this shot is any indication.

Really like the Vintage Post Processing style and the Composition.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Thanks Jack and Craig,

I added a couple more images with different processing.
    Randy
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 8, 2009
    Way cool, indeed, Randy!

Sorry I missed this event, it looks like a lot of fun!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hi Randy :D

The vintage process worked really well for this type of photo. Your first photo is my favorite thumb.gif

Ha..I have a pair of googles that look almost like that with my Dad's old flight gear.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hi Randy,

I prefer #1 as it, to me, best imparts a sense of the era you were after. I do wish the gal had slightly more definition to her face....perhaps just a tad more contrast to bring out her features, but not as much as evident in #2.

I'm amazed how picky I'm getting in my old age.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited December 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Way cool, indeed, Randy!

Sorry I missed this event, it looks like a lot of fun!

It was a big event for us, and was very successful. Over 45 people to keep herd on, so I didn't get to shoot but about 15 minutes worth right as we were shutting it down.

6 warbirds, cool bikes, and I don't even know how many hot-rods/roadsters we had. (I was working in another hanger from the main location) 12 models, 1 MUA, 3 stage lighting guys. I really don't know how we'll ever match this event again.

Here are links to two galleries ( 1 and 2 ) from the shoot.

Thanks for looking Jim thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited December 8, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Randy :D

The vintage process worked really well for this type of photo. Your first photo is my favorite thumb.gif

Ha..I have a pair of googles that look almost like that with my Dad's old flight gear.

Hey Mary,

Put those goggles on and find you an old airplane! Were waiting :D
    Randy
    edited December 8, 2009
    Hi Randy,

I prefer #1 as it, to me, best imparts a sense of the era you were after. I do wish the gal had slightly more definition to her face....perhaps just a tad more contrast to bring out her features, but not as much as evident in #2.

I'm amazed how picky I'm getting in my old age.

Take care,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Hope all is well with you!

I worked this one back and forth on the exact issue you stated. When I brought more definition into the face, it really changed the image's vintage look, strange enough. Made it look too clear/modern.

I find it much easier to get the vintage look that I like on old cars. Maybe someday I'll get it down pat on people shots. ne_nau.gif

As always, thanks for looking and your insights thumb.gif
    Randy
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2009
    I think the first one is fantastik!!!! It looks like a magazine cover!!! Wonderful!clap.gif
    edited December 9, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    I think the first one is fantastik!!!! It looks like a magazine cover!!! Wonderful!clap.gif

Thank you kindly Eia
    Randy
  • rcofrcof Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Great shots Randy. Hard to pick a favorite. The only thing missing was a nice vintage motorcycle. Well done.clap.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Randy -- I just took a look at the 2 links you provided -- There's some really neat photos in there. Looks like it was fun :D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Hey Randy,

I understand, and appreciate, the dilemma you faced in photo #1 of balancing the girl's face and keeping the desired vintage look. I feel you made the right decision in this case because it is a striking photo that successfully takes a person back in time. Well done.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    A fantastic series Randy.......YOu are a hard act to follow....clap.gif azzaro
    edited December 9, 2009
    rcof wrote:
    Great shots Randy. Hard to pick a favorite. The only thing missing was a nice vintage motorcycle. Well done.clap.gif

Thanks rcof
    Randy
    edited December 9, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Randy -- I just took a look at the 2 links you provided -- There's some really neat photos in there. Looks like it was fun :D

It's a great opportunity to learn, practice and just have fun. You should join one in your area.
    Randy
    edited December 9, 2009
    Hey Randy,

I understand, and appreciate, the dilemma you faced in photo #1 of balancing the girl's face and keeping the desired vintage look. I feel you make the right decision in this case because it is a strikning photo that successfully takes a person back in time. Well done.

Take care,

Tom

Tom,

I'm just glad that I'm on the same page as you about the image issues. It shows that I haven't driven off in the ditch yet :D
    Randy
    edited December 9, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    A fantastic series Randy.......YOu are a hard act to follow....clap.gif azzaro

That's extremely kind Azzaro, but you know even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while - I usually only post acorns that I've found rolleyes1.gif
    Randy