my little worrier

travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 23, 2005 in People
This is my two year old, apparently she had a "boo boo" on her finger. I really like her expression, but my husband doesn't like the picture because she's not looking at the camera. What do you think?

Catherine

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    I think that some people just don't know what makes a good photograph. I also think that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If you like it tell him he has the taste of a racoon, and we all know what they eat. Besides photographs aren't about looking straight into the camera and getting everything crisp. I like this one the way it is. It has emotion, tells a story, has drama, etc. Much better than if it was a mug shot. You husband doesn't happen to work for a police department in booking does he? rolleyes1.gif What can I say it's one of those smart:buttkiss nights.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2005
    its a beautiful memory you created filled with the mood and innocence only a child can display.... would have lost all of that if she was looking at you...

thanx for sharing one of your cherished moments...

troy
    travcat wrote:
    This is my two year old, apparently she had a "boo boo" on her finger. I really like her expression, but my husband doesn't like the picture because she's not looking at the camera. What do you think?

Catherine
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 20, 2005
    tell your husband to stick with the TV! :D

This is a great shot thumb.gif
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

This is a great shot thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif Sometimes a portrait works best when you are merely an observer of a moment. This picture is wonderful. Makes you wonder what she is thinking about and its a very natural, innocent observation of a child. Thankyou for sharing this little darling with us:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    that's funny.

cool shot too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I do not agree with your hubby that looking at the photographer is a must.
    This is candid photography in the best way possible. Photography for me is capturing the moment, and this moment in time, she was looking at something on her finger, so be it...
    Great shot. I think your husband needs to read up on photography... rolleyes1.gif
    And as a previous poster said: if YOU like it, it is a go...
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thats a great shot ! thumb.gif
  • BrianLowtherBrianLowther Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I have a similar experience with my Brother-in-law
    I like the shot.
    I have a favourite shot of my 11 month old.
    My brother-in-Law can't understand why I like the photograph because my daughter is not smiling.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they dislike: it was a wise man, and it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed"
    - W. Somerset Maugham
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I agree with everyone else's comments above me. While it's often true that "eyes make a portrait", photography (any art in general) can not and should not be fit into a mold. I'm not much of a people photographer but some of my favorite shots (I really only do candid) involve people looking down or otherwise away from the camera. This is because of a certain mood/moment being captured.

Here you have captured a moment. You know she's looking at a "boo boo" and that's the moment for you. Someone else looking at the picture (without knowing the reality) may look at it as a retrospective moment. Either way it expresses a mood/feeling to the viewer. That's what it's all about.

Anyway, it is a great photo. Print it and hang it.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Anyway, it is a great photo. Print it and hang it.
    Agreed 100%.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thanks everyone!! My family thinks I should be taking portraits like they do at Wal-mart, but I like candids that tell a story. I'll send my family some of my portraits and they just say " but when are you getting the kids portraits REALLY done at a studio!! GRRRR!!

So I never know if I am just totally totally clueless about photography!

Thanks again for the kind words!

Catherine
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Wonderful capture, and nice treatment. That's a memory you'll treasure for years :)

Lee
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    HI Catherine,
    I think the difference here is that this is not a family snapshot for a family album. Family wants a picture that reminds them of an event or just an individual. Here, you've captured a moment that noone else shared but you. Photographically, it's very nice and I like it a lot. There is a lot of expression being shown. As a family shot, it's not showing anything to them so I understand their point, just don't agree with it. I also like to shoot candids where the person is preoccupied with something other than the camera. Keep shooting what makes you happy. If they want the Wal-Mart special, let them take their own pictures. Trust me, you have a clue about photography.

Looking forward to more portraits,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Hello Catherine!
    First of all, let me say this is an outstanding shot in my opinion, and I don't use that word very often. :D
    There's just so much goodness in it, both technically (the composition, exposure, light, sepia treatment and overall post processing) and emotionally. It really communicates so much to the viewer, being much more akin to what I think of a nice memory than a more traditional portrait.
    Way to go! thumb.gif

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    travcat wrote:
    Thanks everyone!! My family thinks I should be taking portraits like they do at Wal-mart, but I like candids that tell a story. I'll send my family some of my portraits and they just say " but when are you getting the kids portraits REALLY done at a studio!! GRRRR!!

Loooove this shot! That subtle wrinkle in her brow would be lost if she were looking up. Start your portfolio with this shot.
    I'm sure your family means well, but "portraits like they do at WalMart" should never be added to your list of goals; you have more talent than that if this shot is indicative of your typical captures.

~mel
    edited July 22, 2005
    travcat wrote:

Thanks again for the kind words!

Catherine
    Cath,

They are clueless. But its the clueless who make portrait photographers money. Hopefully they will eventually start making me money to buy new equipment with for the fun stuff. Just remember those who can do (which you are obviously doing), those who can't call themselves critics.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    They are clueless.
    Now now...there is no "right or wrong" taste. I have a mentor of sorts who's critiqued my photography over the years and has helped me move beyond "say cheese" type photos.

At the same time, my family still LIKES "say cheese" photos. So I take all manner of photos when I'm shooting because different people like different types of photos.

On my vacations I try to get "great photos"....AND....I'm just as apt to take "we were here" photos. As in this one:

27374126-L-2.jpg

There's nothing in this photo worthy of posting it on the web and saying "look at how great a photographer I am". But in MY family album, it has a place because it reminds me "we were there".

This shot:

27373120-L.jpg

is an attempt at "photography" :)

There's a place for both.

Lee
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    I hear you loud and clear... Me too I have the Look where we were shots, but it is nice to have other ones too...
    Both directions have a place. Thanks for sharing
    edited July 22, 2005
    Ahh but her question was about his being a good photograph because everyone else was telling her it wasn't. I also stated that the sears style photos are valid and have their place but that when it comes to more artistic photography the type that wins awards, from what trav has said, they sure sound clueless to me. Every type of photography has it's place. They just don't have a clue when it comes to photographs that aren't created from a how too list.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    I feel better!
    Thanks everyone, it really meant alot to me to hear that my picture wasn't lousy - no one has ever said that a picture I took was "outstanding" - think I'll print that out and paste it somewhere visible! You guys have given me the courage to not give up! Thank you!!

Catherine
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    It's a very good shot.thumb.gif

You just can't try to get a beer drinker to appreciate 30 year old single malt scotch. I found when it comes to anything involving creativity, most of the public drinks beer.umph.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    Catherin,

There is a blown ot spot on the top, she's not looking at the camera, it's all brown / sepia, no color, hair is chopped off the sides, she's not smilling.

There is only one thing to do with this photo..........

PRINT IT and hang it on the wall!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sam
  • DewDropDewDrop Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    It is a really nice shot. I would crop a little bit at the topthumb.gif .