Buying options for the Canon XSi

PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Cameras
Hello Dgrin! I have been sneaking around the forums and reading a handful of posts. From what I see, these posts have had many helpful answers from great members on these forums and I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me some advice on my first dSLR.

Over the past 2 weeks, I've been researching reviews on the Canon T1i and Canon XSi. I've been leaning towards the XSi because well, of the price and the comparisons I've seen in IQ. They both seem the same and the only difference is the processor, higher screen resolution, ISO, and the option to record movies in 720p or 1080p.

Well, with all these reviews I have been reading, it's making me lean towards the Canon XSi. I was able to hold it a couple of times at my local Best Buys, but I haven't been there and wasn't able to play around with it during Black Friday.

There are a lot of deals out there and well I've seen a few that is reasonable:
Option 1: XSi body with kit lens, 55-250mm, and a bag for about $850
Option 2: XSi body, 50mm, and 430EX II for about $900
Option 3: XSi body with kit lens, and 50mm for about $750
Option 4: XSi body with kit lens, and 55-250mm for about $800

For option 2 however, do you guys think I even need the 430EX II just yet?

There are so many options that it's making me confuse myself. I don't even know which one is worth it, however, I do want to get my 50mm and SDHC asap. The Speedlite probably isn't of much use yet but that'll be on my list as well as the BG-E5 and an extra battery.

Thanks in advance for all the help you guys can provide me!
Canon Rebel XSi/450D

Comments

• waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    I started with your option 1 about 1 year ago. I bought that kit for $849 at Costco. I really enjoyed the camera but found out quickly, that neither of those lenses were going to help me shoot my son, inside a gym, playing basketball. My next purchase was the 50mm 1.8 lens.

So that brings up the question...what will you be taking pictures of? If you're not worried about sports and really need a fast lens, then I like option 1. I did use the 55-250 a lot for daytime baseball and the pictures came out great. I just needed the light.

The 50mm is also a good indoor lens for family gatherings and I'm sure portraits.

I did buy the 430EX II after owning the camera for a couple months. It does make for better inside pictures but I'm still learning how to use it. Working my way through The Hot Shoe Diaries now.headscratch.gif

Recently upgraded my camera to a 7D and really like that camera. Sold my XSi to a friend for a killer deal. Good luck with yours. Make a choice soon so you can get shooting. clap.gif

Wayne G
  • PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    It's great to hear from someone who has had experience with the camera I have my eyes on! Well I plan on taking pictures of portraits, landscapes, nature, and sports. So for portraits, landscapes, and nature, I'm guessing that the 50mm F/1.8 will fall into that category. Sports photography however, I don't know which lenses I'll be needing to get. Maybe the 70-200mm F/4 will be good for Sports photography?

As for the 430EX II, I think that might be the 2nd to last thing I'm going to get. Last would be the battery grip + battery.

Thanks for your advice Wayne G!
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Option 1: XSi body with kit lens, 55-250mm, and a bag for about $850
    Option 2: XSi body, 50mm, and 430EX II for about $900
    Option 3: XSi body with kit lens, and 50mm for about $750
    Option 4: XSi body with kit lens, and 55-250mm for about $800

For option 2 however, do you guys think I even need the 430EX II just yet?

!

if you shoot mostly family pics the XSi (450D) and 18-55IS kit lens will suffice for a while. The 50mm 1.8 is a good option for low light shots plus it can add a nice background blur. If you like wildlife, air shows, birds, etc. the 55-250 is a good choice, especially if you can get it in a package deal. I have those lens and a cheap non-canon flash and with that you could deal with just about any situation except maybe indoor low light sports where you would need a large aperture telephoto zoom. The image quality of the XSi is excellent.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    the 70-200 F4 is a well-regarded lens, but F4 generally isn't fast enough for indoor or night sports - it would probably be fine if you're anticipating shooting mostly outside in broad daylight.

I also have an xsi, a camera I like enough that despite planning a move to a 7d (or if I can't afford that, a 50d), I'll be happily keeping the xsi as my backup/2nd body. I love the thing.

DEFINITELY get the grip on the xsi - it makes it MUCH easier to handle and hold (especially with longer lenses and/or larger hands), yet it is still removable when you want to travel small and even lighter. You can pick them up used pretty affordably; there are a couple of 3rd-party mfrs that make very affordable versions too, although concensus seems to be this is one area where the OEM version can be more reliable. YMMV.

As to lenses:

Any of your options are viable - main thing to realise is that if you take your photography beyond point and shoot you WILL want to upgrade those lenses... but you likely won't know what you want or why until you start shooting a lot :D So the kit lenses aren't a bad place to start at all. If you have the $, you might want to get a Tamron 17-50+ Canon 55-250is instead of the short kit lens, but (although I haven't used it) I gather that the kit lens is a perfectly good place to start and if the price is right... don't sweat it. The 55-250 is a GREAT lens for the money - I loved mine, and only sold it because the shooting I do often requires fast aperture glass rather than IS. The nifty-fifty is also definitely worth getting (hunt around used, too - they pop up fairly regularly for about $85)

Btw, if you find a decent deal, the T1i is basically an xsi+video - if that's of interest to you and the price is right, it might be an alternative choice for you.

There are a lot of good deals on xsi's just now - you might want to explore the Bing/Microsoft "cashback" program as well to see if you can shave some more off it. Just be sure when buying online to use the reputable sellers and avoid the "sounds too good to be true" merchants (it WILL be too good to be true). Dgrin has a stickied listing of seller comments and reviews that's worth checking through. Adorama, B&H, Cameta, Beach and Amazon are all fine - there are some ok smaller sellers out there too, but definitely do your homweork on them first.

Good luck - and report back with your seletcion! thumb.gif
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Maybe a modified option 2?

Get the 50mm f/1.4 and no flash.... I love my 50 1.4 and it worked great for me for the longest time (still does) before I got a flash.

Also might consider the Sigma 530 DG Super (I think I got that right) as a flash instead of a canon flash. Ziggy swears by them and I wish I had one for the master functions on the flash...

One thing... I started with an XT and the 18-55 kit lens. Once I got the 50mm f/1.4 I never touched the kit lens again. I just could not accept the quality of pictures from the kit lens again.

If not set on an XSI you night want to look at the flea market here. xxD series camera are really coming down in price. Might be able to get a 40D and lens at the price point you are looking at. I know I have not regretted a chance to the 50D for a second. But I really prefer the larger heavier more robust camera bodies. As well as the different user interface.
    edited December 9, 2009
    Looks like we're on a similar path...I'm just slightly ahead of you.

I did buy the 70-200/f4 lens. I went the cheapest route ($649 at Adorama) even though I was dreaming of the 2.8 IS version. The f4 version is fine for outdoor sports and of course for landscapes but you can forget it for indoor basketball or other indoor sports (you didn't mention what kind of sports you will be shooting).

The XSi is limited in ISO also. While shooting indoors last year, I was using the XSi and the 50/1.8 lens (see pic below). The professional shooters at the games had 40D's or better and the 70-200/2.8s. I don't think I could even get away with the 2.8 lens as they were shooting at ISO 3200 as well. I believe the XSi is limited to ISO 1600 (IIRC). I was pretty happy overall though with the 50mm. I've since added the 85/1.8 to my kit and am dreaming about the 135/2.0. I think you're indoor sports problems (if you have them like I did) can be pretty well solved with the cheap primes.

Hope this helps.

ISO 800, 50/f1.8, 1/320
    458232793_bQxXk-M.jpg
    edited December 9, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:

The XSi is limited in ISO also. While shooting indoors last year, I was using the XSi and the 50/1.8 lens (see pic below). The professional shooters at the games had 40D's or better and the 70-200/2.8s. I don't think I could even get away with the 2.8 lens as they were shooting at ISO 3200 as well. I believe the XSi is limited to ISO 1600 (IIRC). I was pretty happy overall though with the 50mm.

here's a hint: you can go above 1600 ISO with the XSi just like the other cameras, simply shoot in RAW and increase exposure in post processing, that is exactly how the higher ISO's above 1600 work in the other models except it's done in-camera.

an example of ISO 1600 underexposed and then bumped up in post processing - XSi and the cheap Canon 55-250 at night time sports !

3803855364_457e98dc03_b.jpg
  • final_alarmfinal_alarm Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I think if the XSI the the option you plan to go with #3 would be what i would go with then add a bigger zoom later on down the line.

I own an XSI currently and my main lenses are the kit lens, a 17-85mm USM and a 70-300 IS USM, i really like both lenses a lot. I plan to add a 50mm 1.8 to my stable very soon. I do a fair amount of shooting in low light and i sometimes struggle with the lenses i have to not have my shots way under exposed. I shoot indoors in low light a lot, things like live music and i also shoot a fir amount of outdoor sports. I really like the camera a lot and its done very well for me but if i had to do it again i would have skipped the rebel series entirely and went with a 40D when i bought. The two main reasons are the extra ISO stop and the bigger frame(i find the rebel a little too small). Like Wayguard33 did i plan to get myself a 7D early next year. The extra ISO and more FPS are the two things i'm looking the most forward too as well as the full sized frame. I will still use the XSI as it will be my travel camera because it is compact.

Heres some samples that i have taken with the XSI. All are as taken with no post processing.

This one was taken at Gilette stadium at night, there is a lot of light there so it was not an issue. This was taken with my 70-300 IS USM.
    737111617_XLEHy-L.jpg

This one is a friend of mine playing at a gig. This was taken with the kit lens.
    563950250_7vwfH-L.jpg

This is one of my Brother in law playing at a gig shot with my 17-85mm USM.
    697472271_JcYnG-L.jpg
    edited December 10, 2009
    I think if the XSI the the option you plan to go with #3 would be what i would go with then add a bigger zoom later on down the line.

I own an XSI currently and my main lenses are the kit lens, a 17-85mm USM and a 70-300 IS USM, i really like both lenses a lot. I plan to add a 50mm 1.8 to my stable very soon. I do a fair amount of shooting in low light and i sometimes struggle with the lenses i have to not have my shots way under exposed. I shoot indoors in low light a lot, things like live music and i also shoot a fir amount of outdoor sports. I really like the camera a lot and its done very well for me but if i had to do it again i would have skipped the rebel series entirely and went with a 40D when i bought. The two main reasons are the extra ISO stop and the bigger frame(i find the rebel a little too small). Like Wayguard33 did i plan to get myself a 7D early next year. The extra ISO and more FPS are the two things i'm looking the most forward too as well as the full sized frame. I will still use the XSI as it will be my travel camera because it is compact.

actually I'm glad I didn't buy the 40D, sites like www.dpreview.com rate the image quality/resolution and ISO and low light performance of the Canon XSi (450D) significantly higher than the older 40D. when I bought my XSi almost a year ago the 40D was a lot more expensive.
  • PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I am so sorry guys for not replying the past day or two. I've been so busy with schools and with finals coming up, I haven't been on the net lately. First of all, I'd like to say, thank you for all your great replies. Even though I wasn't able to reply back, I glanced at them to see what you guys have suggested me.

To divamum:
    I am actually planning to buy just the Canon XSi with the kit lenses or just the body itself. I still haven't gotten the chance to go check it out again, but tomorrow will be a free day for me so I will be able to go to my local camera store and check it out plus ask some questions about it. I really haven't been able to decide whether or not, I want to get the kit lenses (both the 18-55 and 55-250) or just the 50mm and stick with that for a long while until I have some money for the 70-300 or 70-200 f/4.

Like you said though, I wouldn't know what I want until I start shooting a lot! Maybe just the body and go to Adorama and buy the 50mm + a battery grip?

To Toshido:
    Maybe so. Like what I said to divamum, maybe the body itself plus a 50mm f/1.8 II (not the f/1.4 don't think I'll have any money for that) and the battery grip. You know I would try the flea market. Thing is, I really don't know how to test those cameras to see if they're in working condition.

To waygard33:
    I'm thinking about the 70-200mm f/4 once I get the XSi body, 50mm, and battery grip first. Then after the 70-200mm, maybe the flash will finally come? By the way, how close were you when you took that picture you posted for me?

To Brett1000:
    You know that's a pretty nice picture for kit lenses. I'm going to need to learn how to use these programs to touch up my photos soon.

To final_alarm:
    How do you like your 70-300mm as your telephoto lenses for sports?
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    My thought would be that you would learn more from the kit zoom (just make sure it is the later IS version) than from the 50mm to start with. You may well find that you do NOT shoot much at 50mm when the other lengths are choices. I started with a 28-70 zoom that I had from my film camera days and quickly wanted something wider. I have gone to the 17-50 Tamron as mentioned by Divamum and it is on my camera at least 90% of the time.
    edited December 12, 2009
    To waygard33:
    By the way, how close were you when you took that picture you posted for me?

With the 50/1.8 I was usually moving along the baseline, under the basket. I was probably about 15-18 feet away when I took that shot. He's out near the 3 point line and I'm probably on that side of the paint.

Last night I took some shots of a game using my new 85/1.8. Just getting ready to check them out this morning. Definitely more reach than the 50, but 3-4 times the price. The 50/1.8 is a no-brainer purchase (IMO), because of the cost. I would include that lens, by default, no matter which way you plan to go.

Wayne G
  • final_alarmfinal_alarm Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I like my 70-300 quite a bit for sports. I do a lot of little league and pee wee football with mine too. It works very well. The one i have is is the USM focus motor with IS. My sister has the 75-300 without the USM focus and the focus on mine is a good bit quicker then hers. The picture quality is a bit sharper too.

I am so sorry guys for not replying the past day or two. I've been so busy with schools and with finals coming up, I haven't been on the net lately. First of all, I'd like to say, thank you for all your great replies. Even though I wasn't able to reply back, I glanced at them to see what you guys have suggested me.

To divamum:
    I am actually planning to buy just the Canon XSi with the kit lenses or just the body itself. I still haven't gotten the chance to go check it out again, but tomorrow will be a free day for me so I will be able to go to my local camera store and check it out plus ask some questions about it. I really haven't been able to decide whether or not, I want to get the kit lenses (both the 18-55 and 55-250) or just the 50mm and stick with that for a long while until I have some money for the 70-300 or 70-200 f/4.

Like you said though, I wouldn't know what I want until I start shooting a lot! Maybe just the body and go to Adorama and buy the 50mm + a battery grip?

To Toshido:
    Maybe so. Like what I said to divamum, maybe the body itself plus a 50mm f/1.8 II (not the f/1.4 don't think I'll have any money for that) and the battery grip. You know I would try the flea market. Thing is, I really don't know how to test those cameras to see if they're in working condition.

To waygard33:
    I'm thinking about the 70-200mm f/4 once I get the XSi body, 50mm, and battery grip first. Then after the 70-200mm, maybe the flash will finally come? By the way, how close were you when you took that picture you posted for me?

To Brett1000:
    You know that's a pretty nice picture for kit lenses. I'm going to need to learn how to use these programs to touch up my photos soon.

To final_alarm:
    How do you like your 70-300mm as your telephoto lenses for sports?