Portrait of a drummer

GregVGregV Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited December 9, 2009 in People
So I get called to photograph drummers (and other musicians) for a company a friend works for. This is mostly a hobby I enjoy, and if i make any dough it goes towards new and better equipment. I usually don't have much time to set up and a lot of times I've never been to a venue so finding a location is always interesting. that being said, my excuses are over. This is Carmine Appice, a rock legend. Shot through an umbrella camera left, with another shooting color onto a black wall. I usually get positive feedback on my shots, which is cool, but this time this guy says they need touching up. I'm sure they're not perfect, so I'm asking...

What do they need? What can i do while shooting and afterwards? I thank you for any comments to help be become better.

736401284_Tupav-L.jpg1.

736403083_6oTFn-L.jpg2.

736403389_Dc5hT-L-1.jpg3.
Greg V
...still figurin' it all out...

Greg Vogel Photography

Comments

• LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    I really like the posing and the lighting on the face.
    Chris
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    These are good shots! But, vaguely, they need a bit more "pop." Try setting your black and white points, and tweaking levels and curves for a bit more contrast where it counts.

Good luck!
    VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • GregVGregV Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    LUCKYSHOT wrote:
    I really like the posing and the lighting on the face.
    Chris
    lol, you're killing me. I wanted to ask what you didn't like about the background, but I think you took that part of the comment out. Is it the color (doesn't match well) or the fact that there is color back there?
    Greg V

Greg Vogel Photography
  • GregVGregV Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Van Isle wrote:
    These are good shots! But, vaguely, they need a bit more "pop." Try setting your black and white points, and tweaking levels and curves for a bit more contrast where it counts.

Good luck!
    VI
    I played with it a little more, does this look better? Thanks again for the feedback.

736403083_6oTFn-L-1.jpg
    Greg V

Greg Vogel Photography
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    I think slightly tighter crops would also help (especially #1).
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    To me the skin tones are too magenta....as if the white balance is off.deal.gif

Warm them up and ease off the magenta.
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    The poses are fantastic, I agree with the above poster about the magentas being a tad too strong - but maybe that's a rock-and-roll look you're going for? Maybe take the black clipping down a bit, the bottom of his shirt is a little muddy. I also would definitely crop a bit off the top, there's lots of dead space above his head.

Overall the last shot is my favorite!
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Generally, I'm not getting the razz-n-matazz (energy) of "Rock-n-Roll Icon"... I think it's mostly due to the choice of colour on the BG. WB is def off. Different angles could've helped too, perhaps (ne_nau.gif ).

2nd attempt looks better,,, but not there yet IMO.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Welcome to DGPF - lots of very nice people here, very talented and eager to share experience and advice…

…and then there are the ones like me rolleyes1.gif

I realize that the pictures you've posted are all portraits, but to my mind they're way too static, and don't really convey any of the dynamics¹ or personality of most drummers I've met. Have you thought of taking pictures at a gig, featuring more of the kit? After all, anybody can wave a pair of sticks around saying "…look Ma! I'm a drummer!"²

I'm not really convinced, but thanks for sharing… mwink.gif

thumb.gif

- Wil

¹ Joey
    ² or wave a camera around saying "…look Ma! I'm a photographer!" :D
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau