Options

The Carriage House - After Dark

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Weddings
My big thing last weekend.....

A few of the trials....

I had given a lot of thought to installing a flash unit in the rafters of this gazebo, but decided it would be a distraction....and chose existing light vs flash in order to preserve the ambience. I did come up with some cool homemade clamps that I made to install speedlights in a structure like this...while I was still thinking of setting it up with a speedlight. Instead, the bride said she would have the gazebo wrapped and filled with christmas lights...an idea that gave way a couple days before the wedding to a handfull of candles. We got snow on Friday and I was sure they would move the ceremony indoors...in fact...my second shooter for the evening commented about me still having snow on my truck when we met up. A limo had been scheduled to pick up all of the girls from the bride's parents home and drive them to the wedding...which was 45 minutes or so out of town.....but....alas...the limo was in an accident on the way to pick everyone up and so we were all about 45 minutes late to the venue. We had to skip the rehearsal/run through.....and one of the girls got her dress stepped on and torn.

In the end though.....they got hitched!!!

9, 10, 12, and 14 were existing light shots. The remainder utilized a single Canon 580EX flash. I did shoot a handfull with my 70-200 F2,8IS, but all of these were done with the 17-55 F2.8IS....and a Canon 50D.
Thanks for looking!

1-
736582187_mnj7J-M-1.jpg

2-
736582312_dc5nY-M-1.jpg

3-
736582778_kNCav-M-1.jpg

4-
736582991_z6bXT-M-1.jpg

5-
736581416_LMnqQ-M-1.jpg

6-
736585064_wL6Ga-M-1.jpg

7-
736581218_sAEf8-M-1.jpg

8-
736581629_Sh3gA-M-1.jpg

9-
736581786_yHbNh-M-1.jpg

10-
736596656_BRph9-L-1.jpg

11-
736585839_wsmnB-M-1.jpg

12-
736596518_8yT2U-M-1.jpg

13-
736582078_vyprw-M-1.jpg

14-
736585181_aC9Hh-M-1.jpg

15-
736587562_9JKUL-M-1.jpg

16-
736589333_kNKYt-L-1.jpg

17-
736590337_F8sop-L-1.jpg

18-
736582573_tbEQS-M-1.jpg

19-
736587801_VwZcn-M-1.jpg

20-
736589132_8ST2V-M-1.jpg

21-
736596082_A6Y8u-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    wave.gif

Nice photos Jeff!!! (but sooo smallllll :oogle / I think I'm getting old, haha)

I am really digging all your detail shots, very nice + you got some interesting crops too. I am somehow really drawn to 4 & 7.

Gosh ... night wedding are my nightmare, haha ... you handled it really well though. Any posed pics of just the couple?

Thanks for sharing, so nice to see you here! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    wave.gif

I am really digging all your detail shots, very nice + you got some interesting crops too. I am somehow really drawn to 4 & 7.

Gosh ... night wedding are my nightmare, haha ... you handled it really well though. Any posed pics of just the couple?

Thanks for sharing, so nice to see you here! iloveyou.gif

Thanks Angnieszka,

I have upped the size a tad for you........eek7.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Geesh... as worried as you were about that light under the gazebo, you sure pulled it off well. 10, 11 & 12 are pretty amazing with that perfect exposure /all natural lighting. I guess all that planning pays off, huh!

#8 & 9.... I love these shots... but wish the black was just a bit more potent. I know, who am I to comment on your conversions? But I think they look a bit muddy compared to the rest of those gorgeous conversions before it.

Beautiful set! Love these.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2009
    Geesh... as worried as you were about that light under the gazebo, you sure pulled it off well. 10, 11 & 12 are pretty amazing with that perfect exposure /all natural lighting. I guess all that planning pays off, huh!

#8 & 9.... I love these shots... but wish the black was just a bit more potent. I know, who am I to comment on your conversions? But I think they look a bit muddy compared to the rest of those gorgeous conversions before it.

Beautiful set! Love these.

In 9, the glass is muddying up the blacks in some parts of the image.....but I can tweak those two for sure.

I had more light than I expected in the gazebo after all. When she told me "candles"....well....I expected only candlelight. I made some clamps to hang speedlights from the rafters....but if I had gone that route a wide angle shot like #10 wouldnt have been possible....or would have looked extremely odd with all the light concentrated off the near side of the ceiling the way I intended to bounce. The decision NOT to use flash has (unfortunately!!!) delayed my Popper purchase indefinately.mwink.gif
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    How DID you do that?
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    My big thing last weekend.....

A few of the trials....

I had given a lot of thought to installing a flash uniy in the rafters of this gazebo, but decided it would be a distraction....and chose existing light vs flash in order to preserve the ambience. I did come up with some cool homemade clamps that I made to install speedlights in a structure like this...while I was still thinking of setting it up with a speedlight. Instead, the bride said she would have the gazebo wrapped and filled with christmas lights...an idea that gave way a couple days before the wedding to a handfull of candles. We got snow on Friday and I was sure they would move the ceremony indoors...in fact...my second shooter for the evening commented about me still having snow on my truck when we met up. A limo had been scheduled to pick up all of the girls from the bride's parents home and drive them to the wedding...which was 45 minutes or so out of town.....but....alas...the limo was in an accident on the way to pick everyone up and so we were all about 45 minutes late to the venue. We had to skip the rehearsal/run through.....and one of the girls got her dress stepped on and torn.

In the end though.....they got hitched!!!

9, 10, 12, and 14 were existing light shots. The remainder utilized a single Canon 580EX flash. I did shoot a handfull with my 70-200 F2,8IS, but all of these were done with the 17-55 F2.8IS....and a Canon 50D.
    Thanks for looking!

Of COURSE she'd have it all outside, she wasn't going to make that wedding completely easy on us, now was she? (Even though my outside shots came out WAY better than my inside shots, I'm a natural light lover myself, though)

Look closely and I'm wearing the scarf in the far left of #13!!! Haha, guess I made it in a few of yours after all :)

The lighting her her house was just awful, I have GOT to learn your flash secret, I don't know HOW you did that. (You've sold me a flash, by the way, I probably shouldn't stick around you too much, you'll make me upgrade all my gear before the end of 2010)

I'm liking the kinda-sorta-not-really lomo look, that's awesome and I think it suits the Bride's personality. My favorite is them praying, though, that's just... WOW.

And oh how I would have stolen them away if that snow would have stuck, oh well, maybe next year. I'm starting to think that anything's possible down here with this crazy weather.

Those are awesome, Jeff, completely awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    Cool wedding pics here! I love it! I remember my wife during our wedding.

Thanks Edward......and a HUGE....

Welcome to Dgrin!!!
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    Of COURSE she'd have it all outside, she wasn't going to make that wedding completely easy on us, now was she? (Even though my outside shots came out WAY better than my inside shots, I'm a natural light lover myself, though)

I have shot weddings in much poorer lighting, and that was one of the better lit reception halls.....but of course they shut off all the lights once things get rolling. eek7.gif

Look closely and I'm wearing the scarf in the far left of #13!!! Haha, guess I made it in a few of yours after all :)

Yeah....I probably shoulda warned you that I am a sucker for exit shots. I almost used the clone tool on your JKMann brand "high-end" flash bouncer....but I decided to leave it as is.
    The lighting her her house was just awful, I have GOT to learn your flash secret, I don't know HOW you did that. (You've sold me a flash, by the way, I probably shouldn't stick around you too much, you'll make me upgrade all my gear before the end of 2010)

The light in most homes is awful for photography...especially after sun down. Flash is key.....and I have no secrets. You like "natural light" because it looks natural. I like "available light"....and my flash is always "available". Getting the flash to appear as natural light isn't that hard. With a few pieces of gear and some forethought anyone can do it. The Orange gel you, no doubt, spotted on my flash is a big part of that for me.

Having the right flash (In your case preferably a 580EX....though the 430EX would do) will make all the rest of the gear you already own much more flexible. I promise!!!deal.gif
    I'm liking the kinda-sorta-not-really lomo look, that's awesome and I think it suits the Bride's personality. My favorite is them praying, though, that's just... WOW.

And oh how I would have stolen them away if that snow would have stuck, oh well, maybe next year. I'm starting to think that anything's possible down here with this crazy weather.

Those are awesome, Jeff, completely awesome.

Thanks Lauren, I appreciate your kindness.

When you get your new gear gimme a call. I bet I can have you addicted to flash photography in under an hour!!!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Listen to Jeff, Lauren (and Swartzy - thread here that converted me and Elaine into devoted "flashers". Read the whole thing where S. gives his basic - and easy - "recipe" for flash+ambient, which is a GREAT starting point. Once the penny dropped I couldn't believe how darned easy it could be and have been a flashin' fool since then!!)

Jeff, I love the MOOD of this set - as always, you've captured something a little different than "just the facts". I think that's why I like your pj-type shots so much - yes, they're visually lovely, well composed, nicely lit, beautifully processed - but more than that there's always some kind of a subtext in them which makes me think harder. thumb.gif

Nice work, especially since all you unacclimatized south'ners must have been freezing in that weather!!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    9, 11, 19, and 20 are my faves. I REALLY like 11. that is a well done shot my friend. Very elegant way to show the mood of the ceremony.

Only one I don't particularly like is the last one because of the inner nasal view. Nice moment between them though and probably not so distracting to most who will see that one.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Jeff, I love the MOOD of this set - as always, you've captured something a little different than "just the facts". I think that's why I like your pj-type shots so much - yes, they're visually lovely, well composed, nicely lit, beautifully processed - but more than that there's always some kind of a subtext in them which makes me think harder. thumb.gif

Sheesh Diva.....

If you only knew....

You couldn't possibly have said anything nicer to me today!

Thanks so much!!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Beautiful set, Jeff!!! And I'm a broken record about your conversions, but once again, they are gorgeous...especially the ones showing off the dress details. Are you using a mix of LR and PS for those? I love your color processing on these as well. Outstanding!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    9, 11, 19, and 20 are my faves. I REALLY like 11. that is a well done shot my friend. Very elegant way to show the mood of the ceremony.

Only one I don't particularly like is the last one because of the inner nasal view. Nice moment between them though and probably not so distracting to most who will see that one.

Matt

Thanks a bunch Matt

With regards to the last one... Im in agreement with you on the angle with his nose, but...at least for me...her expression kept it out of the recycle bin. They shared the single most endearing father/daughter dance Ive ever seen.

...for 11....well.....I had used flash to capture everyone walking in towards the gazebo...but had already shut it off and stowed it away where I could get my hands on it for the exit shots. If I could redo it...Id have used just a hint of flash for the forground. A "hair light" for the lantern would have made it extraordinary.

I havent uploaded my edits from Lauren (LKMadison on Dgrin) just yet, but she caught a couple of doozies. One of the bride and her dad just before the processional...and another that features a candle and holder with the ceremony out of focus beyond....similar in content to my #11. She has a great eye for this.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Beautiful set, Jeff!!! And I'm a broken record about your conversions, but once again, they are gorgeous...especially the ones showing off the dress details. Are you using a mix of LR and PS for those? I love your color processing on these as well. Outstanding!

Thank you Elaine.

These conversions were done solely in LR. My first try for these appeared too blue to me and so I subtracted some and then ultimately decided to just go with straight BW plus a little tiny bit of warmth. I tweaked two or three favorites to death basically.....and settled in for a look that I saved as a preset and applied to all of the images I wanted in BW.

I will have to put together composites for some of the album pages, and having anything other than matching conversions wouldn't work for that type of use.

Ya know....for the longest...I couldn't get LR to cooperate with monotones and stuck to PS for conversions. Of late though, I have had some success. It sure makes things faster in LR!

Thanks again. I hope you and your family enjoy a blessed holiday season.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thank you Elaine.

These conversions were done solely in LR. My first try for these appeared too blue to me and so I subtracted some and then ultimately decided to just go with straight BW plus a little tiny bit of warmth. I tweaked two or three favorites to death basically.....and settled in for a look that I saved as a preset and applied to all of the images I wanted in BW.

I will have to put together composites for some of the album pages, and having anything other than matching conversions wouldn't work for that type of use.

Ya know....for the longest...I couldn't get LR to cooperate with monotones and stuck to PS for conversions. Of late though, I have had some success. It sure makes things faster in LR!

Thanks again. I hope you and your family enjoy a blessed holiday season.thumb.gif

I like hearing they are solely LR conversions! thumb.gif I may be bugging you for that preset!
    Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I havent uploaded my edits from Lauren (LKMadison on Dgrin) just yet, but she caught a couple of doozies. One of the bride and her dad just before the processional...and another that features a candle and holder with the ceremony out of focus beyond....similar in content to my #11. She has a great eye for this.

Again, with you sneaking in the compliments, you really are about to make my head swell past the point of no return, you know that, right?

I'd LOVE to see what you've done with my originals, I'm just bouncing in my seat waiting on those to come out of hiding!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    Oh, and one more thing... as soon as I upgrade some gear, I'm holding you up to your end of the bargain, Jeff!!

I'm just a fan of natural light, I don't know what about it is about it, but I just love it.

Why do you think I love my 50mm f/1.8 so much? Gotta love that wide open aperture, and pristine eyes with ears blurring past the point of recognition, of course :)
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks a bunch Matt

...for 11....well.....I had used flash to capture everyone walking in towards the gazebo...but had already shut it off and stowed it away where I could get my hands on it for the exit shots. If I could redo it...Id have used just a hint of flash for the forground. A "hair light" for the lantern would have made it extraordinary.

and that is why I spend so much time around here. I would have never thought to try this but after you say it you are right. That would be badazz for sure! Loggin' that idea in the memory bank!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    When you get your new gear gimme a call. I bet I can have you addicted to flash photography in under an hour!!!rolleyes1.gif
    Guess who got new gear for Christmas.... let's just say I "inherited" LW's entire set up, camera, flash, remote trigger, lenses, everything.

Consider this your phone call :)

And we did a flash side by side comparison last night, my Quantaray on the XT vs my 580exII on the 40D, both with 50 f/1.8s and yeah, you might have me sold. :)
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    Guess who got new gear for Christmas.... let's just say I "inherited" LW's entire set up, camera, flash, remote trigger, lenses, everything.

Consider this your phone call :)

And we did a flash side by side comparison last night, my Quantaray on the XT vs my 580exII on the 40D, both with 50 f/1.8s and yeah, you might have me sold. :)

Ho Ho Ho.....I already knew this would be so!!!

I was just hoping I wouldn't accidentally spill da beans before he actually turned it all over to you.

It's a great combination of gear.

"Yes Virginia"!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Ho Ho Ho.....I already knew this would be so!!!

I was just hoping I wouldn't accidentally spill da beans before he actually turned it all over to you.

It's a great combination of gear.

"Yes Virginia"!!!clap.gif
    you.are.a.troll! you and him both! gear BEFORE the wedding would have been helpful! :)
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    you.are.a.troll! you and him both! gear BEFORE the wedding would have been helpful! :)

Sure...I agree....but...

You accomplished what I asked without it....ne_nau.gif

..and..

...I think he made his decision "AFTER" I told him that you had a good eye...a knack.....but that your gear was "in your way".

Having the knack is the most important thing. The gear doesnt "need" to be anything better(or worse) than completely cooperative, predictable, consistant. The 40D is an excellent camera, but that particular lens....and the 580EXII flash will even make that rebel or XT sing. The gear has to perform and function well enough that your creativity isn't limited by it.

In any event....congrats on the new gear. Now sell one of those old bodies and get u a gizmo!:D

Its all good......hope you have a great Christmas!mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sure...I agree....but...

You accomplished what I asked without it....ne_nau.gif

..and..

...I think he made his decision "AFTER" I told him that you had a good eye...a knack.....but that your gear was "in your way".

Having the knack is the most important thing. The gear doesnt "need" to be anything better(or worse) than completely cooperative, predictable, consistant. The 40D is an excellent camera, but that particular lens....and the 580EXII flash will even make that rebel or XT sing. The gear has to perform and function well enough that your creativity isn't limited by it.

In any event....congrats on the new gear. Now sell one of those old bodies and get u a gizmo!:D

Its all good......hope you have a great Christmas!mwink.gif
    We're going to heaven- I meanArlington Camera- tomorrow to admire gizmos. Hubby gave me a Gary Fong to go on The Beast so we're going to get some of those warming gels while we're in hea- Arlington Camera, too
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2009
    We're going to heaven- I meanArlington Camera- tomorrow to admire gizmos. Hubby gave me a Gary Fong to go on The Beast so we're going to get some of those warming gels while we're in hea- Arlington Camera, too

You need blue too.....oh heck Im calling you.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    wave.gif

It's not just that we're getting old, it's that we all keep buying bigger monitors with higher resolutions and just expect to see gigantic photos, lol

Anyhoo- great work as always Jeff! I love your black and whites and color treatments on these, it makes for a very distinctive feel that fits the photos wonderfully.