Win7 + Eizo Monitor = Odd Problems

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited December 10, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I was hoping there was an Eizo user or two out there running Win7. What I'm finding is that my calibration using the ColorNavigator program is behaving a bit oddly, and I'm not 100% certain where the issue(s) lie.

In CS4 I built a copy of the Xrite color checker (24 boxes). If I pull this into LR and print to the R2880, that works fine, and the colors are pretty close. However, the image I on the screen is very lacking in the blues, and pushed on the reds.

For example, in this picture, is she more or less pale with a little color to her cheeks, generally healthy looking with a bit of red/auburn to her hair?

736830537_EJYCZ-L.jpg

In LR and CS4 (running ProPhoto color) the colors are lacking in the red and blue channel. When I dump a jpg, I get the same image, but when send it (same file) to smugmug, I get a healthier image.

What I notice is that Win7 and Color Navigator seem bent on putting the calculated icc profile in the Color Management fields for Win7. This is the color card I built in the CS4, and it looks right if I view it on SMugMug. Any thoughts on how/what is conflicting that would affect cs4/lr2 and the photoviewer tool, but not Internet Explorer?

736840959_ZxfoK-O.jpg

One other thing. If I copy the file back down from smugmug, it looks the same as when I started, so it isn't a conversion into smugmug, but rather looking at the image on IE vs other tools. The image looks right on flickr as well (viewed through IE).
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Looks like I've figured some of this out here.
    1. IE does not respect the color profiles, and with any wide-gamut display this can be a problem. Red shifts seem to be the main problem here. Shifting over to using Safari 4.0, fixed the display issue for the stuff up on SmugMug and here on Dgrin. I can have two web pages up side by side and they look very different.

The color sampler that I attached actually is washed out a bit and that was due to having the profile set to sRGB when I imported it into LR instead of ProPhotoRGB. Once I did that, everything perked up and the version in LR matches the print version. The properly generated and printed version is:

737268050_8A9nn-O.jpg

Sadly, the copy/paste from Safari into the Dgrin editor isn't a turn-key so I have to add the img//img tags manually (in IE they came along magically). Small price to pay for correct colors....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site