suggestions to make this shot better next time

nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited December 13, 2009 in Technique
I need to take a similar shot to this and would love suggestions as to the the best lighting and composition for this type of shot in this same room. It will probably be just one person this time.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    you're a little tight on the right side....and a little too loose on the top.....
    I do not know the reason for the shot.....if it had been at a party....someone would have wound up behind the bar to add some fun to the pic and I would have pulled the other 2 a bit closer leaning on the bar either as you ahve them or on elbows turning to look at camera over shoulders.....

if this was more formal.....then I ould have gott them closer together and shot vertically and much tighter.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    you're a little tight on the right side....and a little too loose on the top.....
    I do not know the reason for the shot.....if it had been at a party....someone would have wound up behind the bar to add some fun to the pic and I would have pulled the other 2 a bit closer leaning on the bar either as you ahve them or on elbows turning to look at camera over shoulders.....

if this was more formal.....then I would have gott them closer together and shot vertically and much tighter.....

thanks for the input. what would you use for lighting and a lens for a similar shot (formal). i was thinking about renting a 70-200, 2.8 lens rather than my little measly 50 mm 1.4 . I was thinking it might do better in the low lighting. I'm also wondering about lighting. I would need to rent everything so I'm trying to get away with the least amount of external equipment as necessary.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    well my only lenses for years have been the 70-210 f2.8....now all companies dropped the las 10mm and all of those lenses are now 70-200 f2,8....also I use almost exclusively Sigma lense....but now I also have a 24-70 that when it sells I will be saving towards a 17-70.......
    my lens choice forthis portrait would hav been my 70-210 f2,8 and a couple of hotshoe flashes in umbrellas...but I also use a handheld flash meter to get lighting set......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    what are you trying to accomplish? Just a portrait or are you trying to capture the person and the area? Does it have to be a full body shot? ne_nau.gif
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    yes, full body and some of the area too but most importantly the people (there will only be 2 this time). i thought i would use my 50 mm lens and a monolight with an umbrella. i have only really used natural lighting up till now so the strobe is all new for me but that is what they suggested at the rental shop. so now any tips on using the strobe?
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    I'm far from a pro, but remember to focus on the eyes and keep the background straight. I would just try it with a good speedlight and a bounce card.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    No one can give truly precise recommendations because we can't see enough of the surroundings and you haven't supplied any dimensions. Some observations and comments:

You already have mixed light in the room. Notice the window on our left is providing some natural light in the form of rim lighting on the second and third subjects in the image. While this sort of light adds some separation from the background, I would prefer if it were limited to coming from a higher angle and applied to all individuals. It appears to be natural daylight and around 5000 degrees Kelvin.

The other available light appears to be tungsten light. It should either be adjusted to daylight or the daylight adjusted to it, or just overpower everything with flash to subdue the tungsten light.

Any formal portrait should have both key light and fill light. How those are arranged depends mostly on the type of lighting you want to achieve and partly on the room and siting opportunities. For this scene I would also add hair light if necessary, and background light. All of that should be balanced to the same color temperature, unless you want an effect.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums