Options

Playground of the birds

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 23, 2005 in Wildlife
And difficult for photographers, as it is INSIDE the tree. Here is a snowy "descending to a spot". This has the PS CS photo filter on it, color corrected in RAW, sweet light. That is difficult for me to judge how much to color correct, and I would appreciate comments, comments are appreciated on all aspects of my shooting and workup. ginger

29240459-L.jpg

This is w/o the photo filter, it is a nice white, but I lose the effect of the sweet light. Moose Peterson says he always uses that warming filter 81 as it makes for a pleasing photo that catches the viewer in the short attention span any viewer has.

What do you all think, and or, do.............

29240454-M.jpg

Inside the "playground":

28812167-L.jpg

Steady now:

28812179-L.jpg

Looking around:

28812189-L.jpg

The Pose

28812200-L.jpg

Photography by ginger

Snowys by some other means......
Captures by a hope and a prayer.

please comment
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Nice series Ginger
    don't know nuttin about filters (except polarizers) warming or otherwise.
    I do like that last one best thumb.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Nice bunch, Ginger. I love the light.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Excellent Ginger clap.gif Marvelous colors in the hsots.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thanks, Ben, Snappy and Harry, for the nice words.

This was a series I waited a long time for. I had to figure out where the birds were, somehow see a hole for access, then figure out the exposure for a snowy.

I know Ben knows how jealous I have been of his snowys. This was Friday, along with the deer, the chal entry and most other good shots, smile. Recent, I mean. Well, Friday. The last time I was there. Staying late is good photography, but it sure is scary. My son said I should carry pepper spray. I plan to, but I think I will have to grow an extra hand to carry it in.

Shots I like as much as I like these (well, they are about the best snowys I ever took), I tend to hold them back. I don't know why exactly.

ginger

Thanks again.
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    You did a great job with the series of shots. It would have been even better if you could have caught the heron (or is it an egret?) diving for a fish. Anyhow, I would like to comment on something else. The juxtaposition of the colors in the shots is beautiful. The dark green and browns against the white of the bird is very pretty.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    I like em Ginger thumb.gifthumb.gif

I know what you mean when you ask "how much color correction". I have the same problem in sweet light. I usually wind up over correcting, so recently I've decided to leave them "as is". Snowys and Great egrets are white except when you capture them in "sweet light". If you color correct them back to white, what good was taking them under that light? I mean other than the lower light intensity.

Anywho, as I said I like them a bit warm clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    cant help ya with questions but i can tell ya - nice work!!!
    thanx for showing....

troy
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Thank you Maestro. The colors, contrast w green, browns, etc, it is one reason I like that area.

At the same time, there is algae on the surface of the lake, green stuff, so they don't dive exactly. Besides, I wanted to prove I could get Snowys, I never think of them as fishing actively. I am sure that they do, just not in this place. There is a river nearby, maybe they go there, or I do have a photo of a dragonfly in an egret's mouth, that was yesterday.

Thanks, Steve,

I appreciate your input on the color thing. I agree with you. So many of my better photos are not color corrected, as I did not know about doing that. Things then were either "sweet" or terrible. But when they were sweet.......

Right now I have been correcting for the color in RAW, then IN RAW correcting for the correction, so there is a compromise. I really appreciate your input. Depending on the subject, I think I will just leave it, too.

Thanks, Windoze,

I appreciate the nice words! thumb.gif

ginger