<ch 43> one more attempt at curves - view please

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited July 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I haven't been satisfied with my "curves" attempts. I liked my one attempt but someone wisely mentioned that my "circles" weren't necessarily "curves" - good point, so back to the drawing board.

Here are some that definitely are "curvier".

29244865-L.jpg

29244873-L.jpg

29244879-L.jpg

And then my semi-joke candidate #4 (previously posted for opinions - thanks for the comments)
29118557-L.jpg

Opinions????????????? Thanks!
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005

29244879-L.jpg

Opinions????????????? Thanks![/QUOTE]
    I like #3 the best. My main reason is the lighting. I think it's the most uniform. I like the composition of #1, but the image just goes kind of dead on the right. If that had another light source, I think it would be good. But, #3 has enough light to keep the colors bright through the whole image. And, I like that the light is not blown out inside the tube. Good job.thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I really like what you have done
    It's funky (a nice funky). Unique. Variety of nice appealing colors. Tons of curvy things. Flowing degree of light.
    thumb.gif

It's between #1 and #3 for me. I like #1 because I can see more of what is going on and it gives the appearance that the curvy things are emerging from the tunnel thing and the light flows from left to right...... but #3.... I prefer the contrast with the closeup of the tunnel thing and there is a more consistent level of lighting across the shot.

I don't know. Flip a coin? rolleyes1.gif

Very nice.
    Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    It's funky (a nice funky). Unique. Variety of nice appealing colors. Tons of curvy things. Flowing degree of light.
    thumb.gif

It's between #1 and #3 for me. I like #1 because I can see more of what is going on and it gives the appearance that the curvy things are emerging from the tunnel thing and the light flows from left to right...... but #3.... I prefer the contrast with the closeup of the tunnel thing and there is a more consistent level of lighting across the shot.

I don't know. Flip a coin? rolleyes1.gif

Very nice.
    Dan
    Thanks.
    Curvy things = plastic straws found in college grad daughter's stored stuff in my garage.
    Tunnel thing = rainbow colored logo imprinted slinky my company gives out at trade shows.

Maybe it's better not to know :):
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005

Dan
    Improvement on #1 ??? I'll creativly call it #1a rolleyes1.gif

In PS, I pulled down the shadow curves a bit, boosted saturation a little and added a gradient to the right and bottom left.

29251645-L.jpg
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    The pressure is on
    Improvement on #1 ??? I'll creativly call it #1a rolleyes1.gif

In PS, I pulled down the shadow curves a bit, boosted saturation a little and added a gradient to the right and bottom left.
    :uhoh

Given the location of your light source me thinks it would be nearly impossible to have a consistent exposure across the shot.... but that's what makes it unique. #1a is a definite improvement. It doesn't bother me that the right side is "dark" but there are probably those that it does bother. Guess it comes down to what you like. The only improvement...if this were mine? Given the wonderful Funkedelic nature of the shot? I'd play with the background a bit. Soften or eliminate it. But "as is" it still works very well.

I view the nature of a challenge like this as more of a "participation" thing than a "competing" thing. If you're looking to compete and win then I'm probably not the person to ask. You get 4 star kudos from me for just taking the time to execute an idea for Curves.... and I really like the shot you've come up with.
    thumb.gif

Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • DewDropDewDrop Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    I haven't been satisfied with my "curves" attempts. I liked my one attempt but someone wisely mentioned that my "circles" weren't necessarily "curves" - good point, so back to the drawing board.

Here are some that definitely are "curvier".

Opinions????????????? Thanks!
    I like the colors of #3 and composition of #1
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    Both good. Toss a coin. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog