Jump Creek Falls...frozen

acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited December 11, 2009 in Landscapes
This week here in Southern Idaho has been very cold. I figured it was time to go to Jump Creek Falls and see how much ice was there. My friend and I ended up spending seven hours out at the creek and hiked far back into the canyon. It was worth the trip and the tiring hike...

1. Two shot pano of the falls. The only visible part of the waterfall itself is towards the bottom.
737259698_BM4bU-M-1.jpg

2.A five shot pano of the lower portion (shot at 70mm)
737259031_uXzEg-M-1.jpg

3.The upper portion of Jump Creek. This is where the canyon begins (toward the middle of the photo). Since the creek was frozen we were able to walk down the canyon on the ice.
737261201_qQyYP-M-1.jpg

4. The smooth wall and lichen along Jump Creek Canyon. Sun light was reflecting off the opposite canyon wall casting warm light on this section.
737260638_rvJSi-M-2.jpg

5. Here you can see the waterline along the rock. This section was still in shade so the blue cast is true to the scene.
737260300_zcptp-M-1.jpg

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    thumb.gif Those are great! I was just out there several weeks ago. It's amazing how different the scene can change when the water freezes. You've inspired me to run back out and get some "winter" photos there. I'm heading out tomorrow morning to shoot Reynolds Creek.
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Trey,
    Thanks for compliment! I checked out you galleries and like your photos from the Owyhees and Southern Utah. Reynolds Creek is a nice area too. I went to either Reynolds Creek or Jump Creek about a dozen times last winter. As far as Jump Creek goes, the further back you hike (above the canyon) the better things get. As far as the waterfall goes, I like it better having less ice so you can still see the falls. Perhaps when it warms up above freezing it'll look nicer, but it still looks great right now. Have fun out at Reynolds Creek!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 10, 2009
    Talk about cold! :wow

That ice flow is really cool. thumb.gif

7 hours, huh? I'll bet you have some more to share, eh? mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Frozen water is so pretty. I like the blue in your last photo.
    edited December 11, 2009
    Joel,

Thanks for compliment! It was quite cold. Before we headed out in the morning it was 1 degree Fahrenheit. A majority of the 7 hours was spent hiking. According to the time stamp on my files there was a total of four hours spent just hiking and no pictures. (And I might have unwittingly passed up an opportunity or two...) That said, I do have a couple more that I could share:

There were quite a few tumbleweeds along the trail and these two that were frozen in the pool lent themselves to a good foreground. As an afterthought I don't believe the composition works that well with the snow/ice line being in the middle. It kind of throws it off to me but I like the tumbleweeds nonetheless.
    737259490_jpN7h-L-1.jpg

I was tyring to find a spot along the creek that had exposed water but that proved difficult. I found this spot and walked around for a few minutes insisting that a picture should be taken. After a couple different ideas, I set up the tripod straddling the creek and ice and took this. I like the juxtaposition of the ice and snow, I just wish there was more (white) movement to be seen in the water.
    737259351_CeDTn-L-1.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    Whoa -- I like those two shots the best! thumb.gif

I don't think the ice line hurts that first one at all. You have three distinct scenes there, the snow/tumbleweeds, the pond, and the falls. Very nice, and I love the green water in the pond. The second one is a really cool abstract. Great stuff.

Yeah, 1F is cold. And here I thought our trip was cold, which was around 20F at night. Of course, we were camping in it for three days. So were you on snow shoes?
    edited December 11, 2009
    No snowshoes; there was only a half inch at best of snow. I guess I shouldn't be hesistant to post pictures that I find borderline. Thanks again for the positive feedback (and let me say again that those Arizona shots of yours are great!...)