BayPhoto MetalPrint vs. fotoflot

dirtbikejunkiedirtbikejunkie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited January 5, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
has anyone compared (in person) the MetalPrint from BayPhoto vs the wall mounts from fotoflot? which do you like better and why?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I'm sure few have.

I have both. They're completely different! Metal is .. awesome - shiny, metallic, high gloss with superb detail. Floats off the wall.

Fotoflots - traditional photo paper on plexi with a gorgeous edge trimming process, floats off the wall.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Fotoflots - traditional photo paper on plexi with a gorgeous edge trimming process, floats off the wall.
    Is that the same as what I think is called a "face mount"? The photo is somehow glued to a piece of clear plexi with a transparent adhesive, with the plexi on top the image (not behind the paper).
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Poor color reproduction in Fotoflot?
    has anyone compared (in person) the MetalPrint from BayPhoto vs the wall mounts from fotoflot? which do you like better and why?

I have tested both. I love the magnetic bracket on Fotoflot prints. Lets you rotate pictures without drilling more holes.

BayPhoto prints have nice sheen to them, if you like that sort of thing for a particular print. BayPhoto prints also float off the wall twice as much as Fotoflot prints. I like that a lot.

But the one and only deciding factor for me was color reproduction. Bay Photo nails it every time for me. Fotoflot was awful. I compared whites on two different images using LAB values, the B channels differ by 1 but the L & A channels are exactly the same. The difference is clear on the prints - much of the whites had a yellow cast in the fotoflot print - a bad yellow cast. The bay photo metal print came out as expected with better color in the blue areas of my image too (I can't comment on those L values though).

I recieved my fotoflot this week. Its so bad that I need to contact Fotoflot.

Take all this with a grain of salt though -- even though I compared the LAB values in whites that I thought were comparable, I have never done a formal calibration - yet.

My humble advice is to go with Bay Photo.