Birdacious Curves Redo

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 22, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Almost ready, I started from the beginning and redid these, trying to make them technically as good as I could, etc. This one just has my usual white line around it. The other one has "frame" around it. What do you all think?

Thanks, ginger
29252596-L.jpg

29252617-L.jpg

Please comment, here? I will take a second look, too. I like frames, but I have learned that a lot of people here do not. So, sometimes I do, sometimes, I don't.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I love your bird shots, Ginger! I wonder if you know some of them on a first name basis :):

I'm not a frame guy, I like the simple white line better.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Frames are bad?
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Almost ready, I started from the beginning and redid these, trying to make them technically as good as I could, etc. This one just has my usual white line around it. The other one has "frame" around it. What do you all think?

Please comment, here? I will take a second look, too. I like frames, but I have learned that a lot of people here do not. So, sometimes I do, sometimes, I don't.

ginger
    Hmmmm..... I just noticed that most don't have them. I like them and I like your version with it. Being very new... is there some unspoken "rule" that frowns on frames. Jus' askin?

Thanks
    Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    is there some unspoken "rule" that frowns on frames.
    Dan
    Nah, no rules here.

For me, it's an extra step to add a border or frame. I guess I'm just lazy. headscratch.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    I like frames sometimes, but in this case I like the simple white line best. clap.gif Let's me concentrate on those curves! rolleyes1.gif Virginia

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thanks, Virginia, I agree, having looked at it a bit. I couldn't figure out why I didn't like the frame as well, until you told me.

Dan, some people are like purists. They say that frames take up the space that should be used by the photograph, that we get so much space and every last pixel should be the photograph.

The other thing they say is that a frame can, not does, but can imply a weak photo. That frames are used to prop up a weak photograph. I actually had that work for me once. I do think presentation should work for me. In this case, I agree with Virginia..........the presentation should be in the curves. This photo kind of already has a frame in the folliage, that would be a point too, in my mind.

I have had photos that I felt were going to fall out of themselves without some kind of skin to hold them together. Sometimes even more skin can be used to bring out things like certain colors. Other people, well, if the body needs skin, I guess it is not a good body? (that is an analogy, or whatever those things are called)

ginger
    (I have compromised by the simple white line for quite awhile now. But not always.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Thanks ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Dan, some people are like purists. They say that frames take up the space that should be used by the photograph, that we get so much space and every last pixel should be the photograph.

The other thing they say is that a frame can, not does, but can imply a weak photo. That frames are used to prop up a weak photograph. I actually had that work for me once. I do think presentation should work for me. In this case, I agree with Virginia..........the presentation should be in the curves. This photo kind of already has a frame in the folliage, that would be a point too, in my mind.

I have had photos that I felt were going to fall out of themselves without some kind of skin to hold them together. Sometimes even more skin can be used to bring out things like certain colors. Other people, well, if the body needs skin, I guess it is not a good body? (that is an analogy, or whatever those things are called)

ginger
    (I have compromised by the simple white line for quite awhile now. But not always.)
    I think I understand.
    headscratch.gif

I sounds as if this has been discussed at length. So.... frames, borders, mats, "signatures" are considered by some to be a way of pseudo enhancing a shot? I don't agree, but if I enter another challenge (and I'm sure I will) I'll consider going naked. I also don't think that a shot at say.... 700 that is bad/good will look any more bad/good at 800. But that's just me.
    ne_nau.gif

Thanks for explaining it all. Appreciate it.
    wave.gif
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    Wow Ginger, very nice capture. thumb.gif

I like frames but in this case I think yours is a bit busy and considering the tight crop it becomes a distraction. So I vote for the simplicity of #1.