Options

Safari & cart problem

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited February 21, 2010 in Bug Reporting
This morning I attempted to order 3 photos while logged in to safari. I selected a quantity of "1" for a photo and then continued browsing to do the same for the two others. Each time the cnut interface appeared, my cart was empty and dud not contain the prints I had just added. This happened regardless of which photos I selected. I was able to order/checkout just fine in Firefox.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Hi Chris, the cart is working fine for us in Safari. Please make sure you have cookies and 3rd party cookies enabled in Safari. If this persists, please write our Support Heroes with details.
  • Options
    thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    this happened recently with a client ordering cards...figured it was an issue with Safari on Mac, as she was able to purchase by going on a PC with IE...i'll keep an eye out and if it happens again, i'll alert the SH...
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Safari & cart problem
    For some reason Safari doesn't want to let my buy prints. This is for Safari on Snow Leopard only, it seems.

Go to a SmugMug site that allows the purchasing of prints. Example.

Select a photo and click on 'buy' and 'this photo'. Select a random product(s) and amount(s).
    Double check at the bottom that you have products selected and in your cart (it should say something like "your cart: X item(s) for $YYY.YY").
    Click 'checkout'. The cart tells me its empty, even though there should be products in it.

I've been able to reproduce this problem 100% of the time on two different macbooks running Safari 4.0.4, on OSX 10.6.2
    I checked on my iMac with OSX 10.5.8 and it works fine there (no problem). All 3 machines have the latest mac software updates. I have tried it also with a completely reset Safari (empied cache, cookies, history, etc...) and the problem is still present.

I have tried purchasing from both custom domain and SmugMug domain, it did not seem to matter.
    On the same machines, FF has no problems.
  • Options
    alacraneraalacranera Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I'm running Safari 4.0.3 on OS 10.6.1. I also cannot put anything in the shopping cart.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hi Ivar,

Good to hear from you! Hope all is well.

I checked this with Doc (Snow Leopard and 4.0.4 Safari) and we can only reproduce this (after clearing all cookies) if you have set the cookie setting to 'only from sites I visit'. But for cookies to work properly on SmugMug, you have to have the cookies setting to 'always' (especially, if you're using a custom domain).

If changing the setting didn't help can you clear your cookies and give it another try?

If you still have problems, also try it in this gallery.

Cheers,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I am having this issue as well.

I haven't had this issue before, and I have always had my cookies to accept only from sites I visit. This is the default setting from Apple, will I really need to explain to everyone who tries to purchase photos from me with a Mac that they need to change their browser settings? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I am having this issue as well.

I haven't had this issue before, and I have always had my cookies to accept only from sites I visit. This is the default setting from Apple, will I really need to explain to everyone who tries to purchase photos from me with a Mac that they need to change their browser settings? eek7.gif
    It's always been this way, forever with Safari - see our help page on cookies - http://www.smugmug.com/help/cookies click the Safari link.

I'm really sorry but 3rd party cookies must be enabled, since you have your site (your custom domain) and our shopping cart.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    My bad, sorry. I could have sworn that issue didn't exist anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It's always been this way, forever with Safari - see our help page on cookies - http://www.smugmug.com/help/cookies click the Safari link.

I'm really sorry but 3rd party cookies must be enabled, since you have your site (your custom domain) and our shopping cart.

Wow, that's *very* disappointing.

I'm surprised that after 2.5 years with SmugMug, I've never noticed this... and I always use Safari, and I always have it on the default cookie setting.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 13, 2009
    We thought it was fixed as well. Our guys are working on it. You should not have to change the setting. But for now either use Firefox, or change the setting to get it to work. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 13, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    We thought it was fixed as well. Our guys are working on it. You should not have to change the setting. But for now either use Firefox, or change the setting to get it to work. thumb.gif
    I'm not exactly sure what happened. I swore this was working w/default cookie settings. The code paths that deal with cart cookies havent changed so i'm really stumped. I'm looking into it. This is only when buying from a custom domain btw. Buying from a name.smugmug.com site works correctly.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2009
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Wow, that's *very* disappointing.

I'm surprised that after 2.5 years with SmugMug, I've never noticed this... and I always use Safari, and I always have it on the default cookie setting.
    Yeah, it appears I may be wrong (!) lol3.gif
    Bigwebguy's looking into it.

Thanks for your patience!
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure what happened. I swore this was working w/default cookie settings.
    That's what I thought.... well, at least it's not me this time who was wrong (but Andy) lol3.gif
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Could a message be added to the checkout process for Safari users and custom domain account that advises them what to do? I have had several inquiries about this problem since I started using my own domain name.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure what happened. I swore this was working w/default cookie settings. The code paths that deal with cart cookies havent changed so i'm really stumped. I'm looking into it. This is only when buying from a custom domain btw. Buying from a name.smugmug.com site works correctly.
    One way to get around this might be to use POST the shopping cart contents when switching from customdomain.com to secure.smugmug.com and then write a new cookie using the smugmug domain name.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    This just happened again. I JUST reset safari, cleared all cookies, cache, etc. I added an item to the cart and clicked checkout, and the cart was empty. Did it several times and same thing. So I ordered from Firefox and it worked fine.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    This just happened again. I JUST reset safari, cleared all cookies, cache, etc. I added an item to the cart and clicked checkout, and the cart was empty. Did it several times and same thing. So I ordered from Firefox and it worked fine.
    Actually, you have to check your Safari cookie settings. Resetting Safari won't help to ensure you have the correct cookie settings. You need to set Safari to always accept cookies - not only from sites you navigate to. It's shown here how you have to set your Safari.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Actually, you have to check your Safari cookie settings. Resetting Safari won't help to ensure you have the correct cookie settings. You need to set Safari to always accept cookies - not only from sites you navigate to. It's shown here how you have to set your Safari.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian

Are there any security considerations for accepting cookies from all sites?I'm worried that potential customers who do not know this as a fix will get frustrated seeing their cart continuously being empty and choose not to place an order. is there any way to address this?Most Mac users I know have their cookie settings enabled only for visited sites.
  • Options
    thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    here are the concerns with cookies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie#Drawbacks_of_cookies

not sure about safari, but in firefox there is an option to delete the cookies whenever the browser is closed...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    here are the concerns with cookies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie#Drawbacks_of_cookies

not sure about safari, but in firefox there is an option to delete the cookies whenever the browser is closed...
    The only other alternative besides cookies is that you have to make the buyer register with Smugmug before buying and then log back in to that registration every time they want to see their cart. People generally consider forcing a site registration (username and password) to be too big an obstacle to just buy a few photos. That's why Smugmug uses cookies.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    chrismoore wrote:
    Most Mac users I know have their cookie settings enabled only for visited sites.

Myself included, and I used to be able to use the SmugMug cart without any issues. Now it's broken.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=152803

I wish they would fix it, not every potential customer out there knows what a cookie is, or how to set it, or whatever. They could just get frustrated and leave.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Myself included, and I used to be able to use the SmugMug cart without any issues. Now it's broken.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=152803

I wish they would fix it, not every potential customer out there knows what a cookie is, or how to set it, or whatever. They could just get frustrated and leave.
    Hey Tim, we think Apple's changed something, Bigwebguy has posted that he's attempting to get around this. We'll surely post in release notes when we do. You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.

I'm sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Safari Cart working w/Site Visited Cookies Only
    Logged out of account
    Mac 10.6.2
    Safari 4.0.4
    Cookies set for only sites I visit

FWIW, using the above config my cart collects all photos purchased during the session, as I bounce in and out of the cart across galleries.

I then closed the browser, relaunched to SmugMug and opened my cart and the photos are still there.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    TxTortoise wrote:
    Logged out of account
    Mac 10.6.2
    Safari 4.0.4

FWIW, using the above config my cart collects all photos purchased during the session, as I bounce in and out of the cart across galleries.

I then closed the browser, relaunched to SmugMug and opened my cart and the photos are still there.
    Hi, exactly what site link are you purchasing photos from? Please post it. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    Safari & Smug Cart
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, exactly what site link are you purchasing photos from? Please post it. Thanks!

Just my site Andy, I guess I could have shopped from yours, but figured you didn't need the sales. ;-)

http://www.ralphmawyerphotography.com/

UPDATE: Just realized you may be looking for the transaction history, though I ultimately cleared the cart.

I believe it was from this gallery at first.
    http://www.ralphmawyerphotography.com/Sports/Basketball-2009/Boerne-Champion-v-Floresville/10590299_vRRRK#736907722_82jRQ
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Good to see this posting - I had a customer have this same issue when they tried to do a digital download yesterday - the cart was always empty.

Will monitor this topic for updates, as well as the release notes.
  • Options
    infernoblitzinfernoblitz Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2010
    Any word on this? I'm still experiencing cart issues with Safari using my own domain name.
  • Options
    dstithdstith Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Another customer having issues using a MAC
    This one is Mac Mini with a Firefox browser.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    Guess I jinxed myself. Cart is now failing in both Safari and Firefox. Safari set for "only sites I visit"

Glad it's not football season, but hope fix is in the works as this must have been broken with one of the recent Apple updates, as it's worked for years.
    TxTortoise wrote:
    Logged out of account
    Mac 10.6.2
    Safari 4.0.4