Faces In Stone

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited December 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Took these a couple summers ago. A different perspective on Mt. Rushmore.

737587524_kcx5A-L.jpg

737587514_i6aLR-L.jpg

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Howdy Mary,

What great perspectives, that I have to say I have never seen of Mt. Rushmore.

Really love the texture and surface textures of the Mountain. Also, the working marks of the Stone really add that extra
    touch of detail to the Sculptures.

Very nicely done, Well Seen and Captured!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Thanks Craig :D

I like how they did the eyes -- those little/big posts of rock.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I like the first one best. thumb.gif Nice sharp details and interesting textures in both.
    Michael
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    The random lines in the granite are pretty cool.
    Growing with Dgrin

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Look at all that texture!

Mary, I gotta' ask; how did you get that close, up under them? I've been there and don't remember any way to get that close.
    Randy
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    Very cool shots, Mary Kim. I'm assuming you used a telephoto to get those. Great details. The way they modeled the eye catchlights with triangular posts is brilliant! eek7.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I love these! They're so different. I especially like that it like like they have catchlights in their eyes
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
    edited December 11, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    I like the first one best. thumb.gif Nice sharp details and interesting textures in both.

Thank you DaddyO :D
    edited December 11, 2009
    leaforte wrote:
    The random lines in the granite are pretty cool.

I can look at these photos over and over again and see a new line or different color each time.

Thank you for your comment leaforte :D
    edited December 11, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Look at all that texture!

Mary, I gotta' ask; how did you get that close, up under them? I've been there and don't remember any way to get that close.

Hi Randy --

How I got that close -- remember the movie 'North By Northwest' rolleyes1.gif

I kept walking the trail under them till I found the right spot. Bet I was on that trail long enough for security to wonder what the heck I was doing :D

It was an overcast day when I was there and I really think that helped me with getting the texture of the rock. With the sun out it would of glared in spots.

Took this one too -- I like the stone in Abe's face the most. Old Teddy's face was hard to get. That one is going to take a reshoot or some skillful editing. I'm thinking the reshoot would be the best for me :D

Thanks for looking Randy.

737972904_5J6C4-L.jpg
    edited December 11, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very cool shots, Mary Kim. I'm assuming you used a telephoto to get those. Great details. The way they modeled the eye catchlights with triangular posts is brilliant! eek7.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Hi Joel --

No telephoto...I climbed down rolleyes1.gif Not hardly -- too old for that now. I used my 70-300. That lens was working good for me that day. Usually it isn't the best lens with overcast skies, but I had a good talk with it before we started taking photos :D

Aren't those posts in the eyes neat. They go different ways in each persons eyes.

Thanks Joel for taking a look and the comments.
    edited December 11, 2009
    I love these! They're so different. I especially like that it like like they have catchlights in their eyes
    <INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Hi AAABluestocking :D

I'm happy you like them. I didn't know they called those posts catchlights, but that makes sense. They do catch the light. Seem like they follow you too which gave me a creepy feeling when I was there :D

Thank you looking and taking the time to comment.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Randy --

How I got that close -- remember the movie 'North By Northwest' rolleyes1.gif

I kept walking the trail under them till I found the right spot. Bet I was on that trail long enough for security to wonder what the heck I was doing :D

It was an overcast day when I was there and I really think that helped me with getting the texture of the rock. With the sun out it would of glared in spots.

Took this one too -- I like the stone in Abe's face the most. Old Teddy's face was hard to get. That one is going to take a reshoot or some skillful editing. I'm thinking the reshoot would be the best for me :D

Thanks for looking Randy.

737972904_5J6C4-L.jpg

Ah, I didn't even know there was a trail ne_nau.gif I was there two different years during Sturgis Bike Week, guess I was busy seeing the "sights" rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the close-ups thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited December 11, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Ah, I didn't even know there was a trail ne_nau.gif I was there two different years during Sturgis Bike Week, guess I was busy seeing the "sights" rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the close-ups thumb.gif

The "sights" -- I won't comment on that rolleyes1.gif

There is a boardwalk type trail/walkway that wraps all around in the front. Next time your there you can see the "sights" from there :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Very cool stuff. Learned a bunch as well looking at these. Nice angles and composition...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hi Mary...... Who is it???? It was a really neat idea to shoot it like that..... It is incredible what 400 guys did in 14 years...... Well done, Mary!!!! azzaro
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

These shots are great. I've never seen close-ups like these of the faces. Very well done, and educational for me....like it was for others as well. Most interesting.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited December 11, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very cool stuff. Learned a bunch as well looking at these. Nice angles and composition...

Hi Andrew :D

Thank you for your comment and taking a look.
    edited December 11, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Mary...... Who is it???? It was a really neat idea to shoot it like that..... It is incredible what 400 guys did in 14 years...... Well done, Mary!!!! azzaro

Hi Azzaro --

It is amazing what they did there. Thank you for taking a look and commenting :D
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hey Mary Kim,

These shots are great. I've never seen close-ups like these of the faces. Very well done, and educational for me....like it was for others as well. Most interesting.

Take care,

Tom

Hi Tom,

That makes me feel good that you've not seen close up's before. I wanted to do something different. Even tho seeing them as a whole is good, the eyes are what really attracted me to them.

Thanks for looking Tom and commenting :D
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim

These are soooo good and unusual! Never have seen closeups of this monument...kudos for thinking of this perspective. The catchlights are nifty...I'll be looking to see how effective they are in any photos of the whole monument I see.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited December 12, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Mary Kim

These are soooo good and unusual! Never have seen closeups of this monument...kudos for thinking of this perspective. The catchlights are nifty...I'll be looking to see how effective they are in any photos of the whole monument I see.

Hi Jack --

I took the normal photos that everyone take -- even used my wide angle lens too, but these were the ones I really wanted to get. I'm happy that you like them :D

Thanks for looking Jack and commenting :D