Low Cost Lighting

BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited December 12, 2009 in People
I used one SB600 and a utility light from Home Depot, umbrellas, on a white background. Thoughts?

737579047_XpzYk-L.jpg

Comments

• SweetScenePhotoSweetScenePhoto Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    BuddyLee wrote:
    I used one SB600 and a utility light from Home Depot, umbrellas, on a white background. Thoughts?

I don't have any lighting like this - I MUST get some (just don't have the knowledge as to what to get).

Anyway, the only thing on this photo that I don't like is the model's shadow.
    Other than that - looks great to me.

Much success!
    Jasa Wolfrey
    www.sweetscenephotography.com
    Gear: Canon 7D & Rebel XSi
    Lenses: 18-55mm, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, 75-200mm, 28-135mm, 75-300mm
    Extras: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash, Gary Fong (white)
    Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, Adobe Lightroom 2
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hi, hi! I think it's a good attempt. It looks a little underexposed to me, though. The white is not white-white, and her face could use a little bit more illumination. I think for next time, move your subject farther from the wall so you don't get the shadow right there, overexpose the wall more, or you can use a single light setup and the light fall off could make the white wall gray. I actually like this last one myself.

Like here, I used a speedlite in a softbox: http://marikris.smugmug.com/Portraits/Traci/10126721_PkgbB#698654997_SviSZ-A-LB
  • BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Hi, hi! I think it's a good attempt. It looks a little underexposed to me, though. The white is not white-white, and her face could use a little bit more illumination. I think for next time, move your subject farther from the wall so you don't get the shadow right there, overexpose the wall more, or you can use a single light setup and the light fall off could make the white wall gray. I actually like this last one myself.

Like here, I used a speedlite in a softbox: http://marikris.smugmug.com/Portraits/Traci/10126721_PkgbB#698654997_SviSZ-A-LB

Thanks, this was very impromtu and i didn't get time to properly figure out a light for the wall. I'm unhappy with most of what I've done on the white background for that reason. But will slowly be building up to enough lights. I'm also working in a very small space.

How far from the background do you normally stand a 'model'? The best I can do in this space and still have room to shoot is maybe 3 feet. Which is about where she is. Also, what color umbrella/softbox would you use on someone with dark skin? Much brighter and I was running into shiny face and not a very natural looking skin tone.
  • BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    another lighting challenge
    Dark skin and a white sweater...

737579463_temEj-L.jpg