What should I add to my collection?

WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited December 11, 2009 in Cameras
I would like some advice from the experts. I have about $1K to spend on a lens. I currently have the following:

Canon 75-300mm
Canon 28-135mm
Tamron 90mm-2.8

Camera body is a Canon 50D.

If it was you, what would you get? I'm thinking maybe a better telephoto? I'm just an amateur hobbiest, so advice would be great!

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    The Canon 10-22 is an amazing lens. I use it a lot for indoor situations, but also great for panoramic style shots outdoors.

Also, I'm not so fond of 75-300 kit lens. It works, but has limitations in terms of sharpenss and color. A nice walk-about lens we have (bought for my wife's 30D so she didn't have to change lenses while on vacation last summer) is Canon's 18-200. Very versatile. Great picture quality, except for some corner vignetting at 10MM with the UV filter on (though easily corrected in Lightroom). Also reading good reviews lately of Tamron's 18-270.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    Woogiekids wrote:
    I would like some advice from the experts. I have about $1K to spend on a lens. I currently have the following:

Canon 75-300mm
    Canon 28-135mm
    Tamron 90mm-2.8

If it was you, what would you get? I'm thinking maybe a better telephoto? I'm just an amateur hobbiest, so advice would be great!

Alissa, what is it "you" feel is most lacking? You mentioned a better telephoto, but do you mean telephoto zoom? If so, why do you say that?

Everyone is different and has different photographic needs. Tell us more about what you shoot and what you feel could be better if you had a different lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Thanks for the input!

Yes, a telephoto zoom. I don't feel that the lens I have now does a good job at capturing detail. Of course it could just be my inexperience talking as well, but...check out the nature pics on my smugmug account. The majority of them were taken with the 300mm.

Otherwise maybe something midrange with a better ability to get more in the frame.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    A very nice zoom telephoto that is within your price range, especially if you can find a used copy, is the Sigma 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM.

While it's a heavy beast, it does get the job done in good light. Check out some of the nature shots of our own user, "BigAl":

http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/Birds

We have a number of other "Bigma" users as well.

If you want something a lot more compact, but a bit more than your budget, the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM plus the Canon 1.4x teleconverter is a very versatile combination that has surprisingly good quality at the long end, again in good light.

The Canon EF 70-300mm, f4-f5.6 IS USM is something of an upgrade over your existing longer zoom, and it easily fits into your budget. With that lens you could also afford the Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di II for a standard zoom with WA to moderate telephoto. That 2 lens combination would make a nice versatile kit to cover a lot of opportunities.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Thank you Ziggy, that was very helpful! I'm going to go check those out.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Woogiekids wrote:

Canon 75-300mm
    Canon 28-135mm
    Tamron 90mm-2.8

Well, if I was you, I would sell the 28-135 and the 75-300 and buy
    a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC and a Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 L possibly
    with a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300DG 1.4x Extender. This will give you
    a wider and faster standard lens that has image stabilisation and a much
    faster and faster focussing and also highler quality telephoto lens.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Woogiekids wrote:

Canon 75-300mm
    Canon 28-135mm
    Tamron 90mm-2.8

I would sell the 75-300 and 28-135 and get a Canon 55-250IS and 18-55IS