Virginia barn

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited December 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Last day in Virginia on vacation, and it was overcast and dark all day.
Not much in the way of color in the scene itself, so I processed this in sepia.

736947745_Z6qUG-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Carmelo75Carmelo75 Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Nice processing, the sepia tint works very well here. I really like the texture of the roof and the horses on the dark background...

Carmelo.
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I like that you left the tree to the left in the frame. It matches well being almost at a perfect right angle with the roof line of the barn. The sepia processing adds a nice effect too. Nice capture.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    thumb.gif Good shot Tony...... Sepia works well with that subject....thumb.gif
  • woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I like the sepia too. Well composed shot and quite peaceful.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I just love this photo. The two horse's in the barn and I know its not a house, but in the trees to the right -- it looks like an old 2 or 3 story house engulfed with trees. Only a window showing through. Am I the only one who see's that headscratch.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I just love this photo. The two horse's in the barn and I know its not a house, but in the trees to the right -- it looks like an old 2 or 3 story house engulfed with trees. Only a window showing through. Am I the only one who see's that headscratch.gif

Yes, I think you may be right. I was focused on the horses the first time I looked and didn't even notice. Thanks for pointing this out. thumb.gif
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I don't think so. Here's the image, uncropped and right out of the camera (but converted to .jpg from RAW). The sepia treatment makes it a bit more difficult to see the detail in the trees since all the green is now one color.

One nice thing about sepia is that I didn't have to clone out that bright blue object to the right of the barn.

738563188_JMWod-X2.jpg
    edited December 12, 2009
    Hmmmmm.......it does and it doesn't look like there's a house there. If you ever go out that way again...take a drive up that road if you can :D That will get you on the other side of the trees.

Sepia did save you from having to crop out that blue object thumb.gif

Thanks for posting it in color :D
    edited December 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hmmmmm.......it does and it doesn't look like there's a house there. If you ever go out that way again...take a drive up that road if you can :D That will get you on the other side of the trees.

Sepia did save you from having to crop out that blue object thumb.gif

Thanks for posting it in color :D

I live in Orlando, Florida. The barn is near Woolwine, Virginia...about 700 miles from here just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We spent Thanksgiving week in a cabin in Woolwine.

I don't remember a house in the background, but I really wasn't paying attention to that.
    edited December 12, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I live in Orlando, Florida. The barn is near Woolwine, Virginia...about 700 miles from here just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We spent Thanksgiving week in a cabin in Woolwine.

I don't remember a house in the background, but I really wasn't paying attention to that.

Guess driving down the road to take a look isn't an option rolleyes1.gif

I know about the not paying a attention part. I do that a lot and then when I get home and look at my photos I see something I might of wanted to take a closer look at.

It will remain a mystery :D
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    It does seem from the second posted uncropped full color version that there might actually be something there.

The other strange thing for me in the original sepia version is how the back door make it look like an unsupported pillar is dividing the big open door due to the monotone of the elements.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited December 12, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:
    It does seem from the second posted uncropped full color version that there might actually be something there.

The other strange thing for me in the original sepia version is how the back door make it look like an unsupported pillar is dividing the big open door due to the monotone of the elements.

Don
    There is an open doorway on the back. I thought about painting that black so it doesn't show, but I dunno.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    There is an open doorway on the back. I thought about painting that black so it doesn't show, but I dunno.
    Maybe not black, but open up the interior darks a bit or tone the grass in that doorway down some so that it is not the same tonal level as the wal above or the concrete blocks.

I don't get quite the same illusion with orignal shot, only the sepia one.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook