Options

uploading alphanumerically = BAD! Please fix

Robert.MetzelRobert.Metzel Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 11, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I searched around and got a few answers, but none of them solved the issue or answered my question in it entirety.
When I export client photos I export as: Client-1, Client-2, etc... to keep things simple and in order.

Issue I am having: When I select a folder to upload it orders the photos as: Client-1, Client-10, Client-100, Client-101.....Client-109, Client-11, etc...

Why doesn't it just put them in the same order as they are in the folder? Or order them in the common numerical order? Its currently ordering them alphanumerically. I have used tons of different photo sharing sites and printing sites and this is the first time I have ever seen it defaulted this way??????

So the only way I have found to order them correctly is to drag and drop them in order, then I have to sort by date uploaded or they revert back to the order I described above.

Here is a screen shot of what I am talking about....
http://blacktiephotography.smugmug.com/photos/738007010_NDuBX-X3.jpg

Now I wouldn't have a problem doing the D&D method if it was just a few photos, but hundreds takes a bit, then monkeying around with date uploaded, etc.... The more labor I spend messing around with something as silly as reordering a gallery the less money I make.... which equals me being extremely unhappy..... :pissed

So my question is ultimately, when can a numerical upload and ordering script be implemented instead of the default alphanumerical script? I have found people complaining about this in numerous threads some dated from 2007....

And before anyone goes on about how its easy just reordering them is using the 10 different ways to do it.... I should not have to in the first place..... Reordering using different methods should be an option, not a requirement...

Comments

• Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    You could do what I do and that would solve your issue. I give each event I shoot a 5 digital code....then I put that along with a 4 digital number...with a letter in between. You can use the letter to indicate edits, versions, etc.

24236a0001.jpg, 24236a0002.jpg, 24236a0002.jpg, 24236a0002x.jpg

Sometimes I will add an x at the end if it was a replacement.

Hope this helps you and others.

Chris
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Issue I am having: When I select a folder to upload it orders the photos as: Client-1, Client-10, Client-100, Client-101.....Client-109, Client-11, etc...

use leading zeroes when naming, that should fix the alpha sort

Client-001, Client-002, Client-010, Client-100 ... will sort correct
  • Options
    Robert.MetzelRobert.Metzel Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone... Ill give both those methods a try! thumb.gif