Nikon Lens for Product Shots

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited December 12, 2009 in Cameras
Need some direction. I'm a Canon guy, a family member wants a suggestion for a Nikon lens(good lens). He is taking product shots of cutlery, typicaly 5" to 9". Sometimes he wants to be able to do 30". I'm thinking he is going to need a different lens for the long stuff. How about some suggestion for each or both. Going on a D90 if it matters.

Comments

• JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    In looking at the Nikon web site I think he needs the AF-S Micro 60mm F2.8. According to my calculations he may be able to do it all with that. The long stuff at 30" he would have to get about 37" above which would be doable. The normal stuff he would on it tight. Is this a good lens?
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    There are both 60mm and 105mm f2.8 macro lenses that are excellent. If more of a range is required the 24-70mm f2.8 is superb as well.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 11, 2009
    You will also see the PC-E Micro-Nikkor 45 mm, f2.8, Tilt-shift lens used for product photography and it does give rather nice "Perspective Control" (hence the PC designation) similar to the front controls on a view camera.

Many primes will also do well, depending on the requirement for control over angular distortions and the size of the studio. Do make sure that the aperture is formed with a diaphragm with curved blades because they will be using small aperture settings (typically). If a standard prime is selected, as opposed to a true macro lens, a set of extension rings might be required, or a close-focus diopter. The diopter has the advantage of greater working distance.

Some advanced digicams also work pretty well for product work. Again, a close-focus diopter is a good idea for small product work. Since you generally have control over lighting you should be able to use base ISOs, so random sensor noise is not a problem.

I used both a Sony F828 and a Minolta DiMAGE A2 in the past with great results.

A product table is pretty important as is good lighting. I recommend 4 studio strobes for most work. Since they will be dealing with shiny metal, some sort of light tent is also recommended.

I also recommend a tripod and head with markings that allow easy return to height and angular standards. (The standards would be developed with use, but it's nice to set everything up quickly via the markings.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Take a long hard look at the Nikkor 28mm F2.8 and the Nikkor 24mm PC-E

Both are super for just this type of work. A good copy stand is also a good investment to have on hand for small work like this. If you can find a lighted base unit it will save you a ton of time and editing.
    Steve

Website
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I think that's just too large a range to cover with one lens. Certainly the stuff under 10 inches would be great to shoot with the 105mmVR, macro lens. I've done quite a bit of small product photography with that lens with good results.

609213639_dpSCa-L.jpg
  • Ed MichaelsEd Michaels Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Product Shot Lenses
    As most AND all AFD and AFS Micro-Nikkors are "flat field" you will loose 3rd., dimensional depth of the product in close up work versus macro or as Nikon calls it micro photography. Another example is in forensic photography of living tissue such as scared wounds, Micro-Nikkors create a lose of depth to the scars thus reducing value when presented to judges and juries. On DX bodies e will use a 28mm prime which equals the true normal of 42 to 43mm. All shots are at f8.0 to f16 for adequate depth of field.

Any questions call me at 856-685-9435.
    Ed Michaels
    1+856.685.9435
    edmichaels@comcast.net
    D700/D200/SB800/FX18-35 AFD Nikkor, 28-75/2.8 Tamron early with aperture ring,35-105/3.5-4.5 AFD Nikkor 50/1.4 AFD,70-200/2.8 VR AFS G Nikkor, 70-300/4.5-5.6VR ED AFS G Nikkor, FX-DX Sigma1.4x HSM EX APO Tele-Converter,DX 18-70/3.5-4.5 G DX AFS Nikkor 12-24/4.0 Tokina 2nd. version,Sekonic L358w/Pocket Wizard, SC29X2,Leitz table tripod w/largeball head,filters, adapters, reflectors, stands, Quantum batteries, tripods,monopods,heads et al