D700 flash commander mode affecting exposure

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Cameras
This is not good. 1/60s @ f4, 200 ISO

Picture I just took of a bag with my SB900 OFF and the commander pop-up down:

738197237_NZ4LA-L.jpg

Now this is with the SB900 STILL OFF and the pop-up in the upright position and the internal flash set to "——" in the Commander Mode menu:

738197147_kmhtB-L.jpg

I have the camera set to Tungsten, hence the blue cast. What's going on?

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Hey P,
    '
    It will as long as your f number is low. The Onboard flash is still sending a signal in "----" setting. So try a higher f number and see if it disappears.
    Additionally, the photo appears to be fairly close in, so taking a step or three back should change it's effect dramatically.
    tom wise
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I'll try that, but still, shouldn't the commander bursts be synced as to not interfere?
  • mutti_wilsonmutti_wilson Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    I'll try that, but still, shouldn't the commander bursts be synced as to not interfere?

I believe all it does is lower the output to next to nothing. The flash does not fire at any different time than if you are using it for a true flash. If you put an IR filter over the flash you can fire it at full power and it will still trigger the remote flash. Try shielding it with your hand in a way that allows some light to reach the flash.
    Bodies: D300, D200
    Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro 80-200mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Nikon SB-600, Zeikos Grip, Original Tilt-All Tripod, Smith-Victor BH-52 Ball Head, Various Filters etc.
    edited December 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    I don't see how...if in commander mode and we use ttl, we have to float that info out on the IR signal...so it stands to reason, for me, that this info would be in sync with the flash component...be interesting to see/read the data supporting this. I did what Mutti suggested for a long time due to this problem..sometimes holding my hand up, sometimes cutting a peice of cardboard out to direct or scoop the onboard flash "----" towards the remotely set up flash.
    tom wise
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Okay, that's interesting. I would have thought that it could send the pulse before opening the shutter, but maybe all the little blinks happen during. Glad nothing's wrong, but I can see why the SU800 is a good thing to have.
    edited December 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Okay, that's interesting. I would have thought that it could send the pulse before opening the shutter, but maybe all the little blinks happen during. Glad nothing's wrong, but I can see why the SU800 is a good thing to have.

I would tend to agree with your statment about the SU800, but why not try a higher f number and report back? And try it in a simulated portrait setting: 10 or 12 feet distant from subject, higher f number included.
    tom wise
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    You could always get a Nikon SG-31R which is designed for the very purpose of blocking the onboard flash when using it as a commander. I've got one and it seems to work pretty well.
    41FDnxia7eL._SS500_.jpg
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:

That's exactly how CLS & iTTL are described in all the Nikon literature I've read. To quote Mike Hagen's "The Nikon Creative Lighting System":

Preflash Sequence:
    1. Press shutter release
    2. Speedlight sends preflash
    3. Matrix meter reads reflected light
    4. Camera makes new output calculation
    5. Shutter opens
    6. Speedlight fires "real" flash
    7. Shutter closes

Even when the Commander is in "--" (=Off) mode, the master flash will still send out pre-flashes even though the unit itself doesn't fire.

BTW - The SG-3IR was mentioned in a recent (about 6 months ago) thread where someone had found the SG-3IR was very hard to find, so they made their own simply by taping a small piece of exposed film (film? what's that???) over the on-camera flash. I think the subject was about using the on-camera flash to get highlights in the eyes when taking portraits.

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • kundalinikundalini Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    This may help or add to the confusion. I've noticed similar results, but I was usually doing closeup or macro shots. I too was getting some affect with the pop-up even though it was set to (--). My workaround was to use a white business card, my hand, or anything handy.

VERY unscientific test. Aperture Priority f/3.5, ISO800
    Pop-up Flash OFF
    743367158_iEHx8-XL.jpg

Pop-Up ON (one or more Groups set ON)
    743367200_dLukP-XL.jpg

Pop-Up ON (all Groups set OFF)
    743367186_Q9f2w-XL.jpg

My conclusion...... if I'm not using flash, I don't raise the pop-up.

One tip I can offer with off camera flash using CLS outside. Everyone says the flash sensor "has" to be in direct line-of-sight of the pop-up for them to trigger. Nope. I've used folded aluminum foil and even the case of one of my filters to bounce the pre-flash backwards to the off-camera flashes at least three feet BEHIND me. I haven't tested any further distances because I haven't needed to, but just food for thought.

This is one of the shots I was refering to. Soft box camera right, shoot through camera right. Both very much behind me.

641478691_oVvqb-XL.jpg

My 2¢.
    I'll not repeat what others say, so, you can call me Brer.

"... but I'll be sober in the morning." - Winston Chruchill
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    okay I just noticed it too on my d700. the commander set at -- does effect the exposure. In my case it left a shadow. I used my hand to block it and it worked okay. I don't recall this being much of an issue with the D90 or D200 but I could be wrong.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    SG-3IR Filter
    Does any one know how much if any distance this filter decreases the pop up flashes working distance in commander mode.....I will have it set to ("- - ") but it still fires my optical slaved flashes with the dang pre-flashes........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website