Tiny Purple Daisy

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Holy Macro
I don't really know if this is a daisy, but it was tiny... about 3/4" dia. I'm still getting a grasp of Macro works so please bear with me. What could I have done to make this a better shot?

691401931_T8Pkg-L.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Good shot- certainly looks like the daisy family. Lovely light and colour and good isolation from the background.

A few things I would have tried ( not necessarily giving a better result).

1.Shot from slightly further away to get the whole flower in with the composition such that the flower at this angle was lower down and to the right in the frame (to give it more room in the direction it was facing).

2. Suspect I would have tried shading the flower from direct sun and taken a shot to compare to the full sun one.

3. Taken a series of shots at different angles.

Brian V.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Ahhhh, yes, thank you and great advice. I'll try that next time. All the flowers are gone now. This was taken a couple months ago. I really appreciate your time. :D
    Good shot- certainly looks like the daisy family. Lovely light and colour and good isolation from the background.

A few things I would have tried ( not necessarily giving a better result).

1.Shot from slightly further away to get the whole flower in with the composition such that the flower at this angle was lower down and to the right in the frame (to give it more room in the direction it was facing).

2. Suspect I would have tried shading the flower from direct sun and taken a shot to compare to the full sun one.

3. Taken a series of shots at different angles.

Brian V.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Don't give up because of the season! You can do great macro work with flowers indoors. In fact, you can do things indoors that are much harder to do outdoors, such as controlling the light and the "rain" (as Scott Kelby points out, the best way to get wet flowers is with a spray bottle). One thing that I do indoors is experiment with light coming from behind the flowers and bleeding through the petals. Sometimes I use the halogen pendant lamp over my kitchen table, or hang a flower from a simple incandescent lamp with masking tape. (You have to move fast with this one because the heat wilts the flower.) This winter I am going to play with using an off-camera flash for this.

I'm still learning, but if you don't make fun of them :):, you can find some of these at http://dkoretz.smugmug.com/Nature/Flowers-and-mushrooms/5909118_XvfSg/1/369072619_CvhGA. It should be pretty obvious which ones I did this way. I'll be doing them again all winter.

Have fun.
    edited December 13, 2009
    Thanks so much for all that. I'm not much for indoor photography, but this sounds like it might be quite fun. I'll have to try it. :)
    paddler4 wrote:
    Don't give up because of the season! You can do great macro work with flowers indoors. In fact, you can do things indoors that are much harder to do outdoors, such as controlling the light and the "rain" (as Scott Kelby points out, the best way to get wet flowers is with a spray bottle). One thing that I do indoors is experiment with light coming from behind the flowers and bleeding through the petals. Sometimes I use the halogen pendant lamp over my kitchen table, or hang a flower from a simple incandescent lamp with masking tape. (You have to move fast with this one because the heat wilts the flower.) This winter I am going to play with using an off-camera flash for this.

I'm still learning, but if you don't make fun of them :):, you can find some of these at http://dkoretz.smugmug.com/Nature/Flowers-and-mushrooms/5909118_XvfSg/1/369072619_CvhGA. It should be pretty obvious which ones I did this way. I'll be doing them again all winter.

Have fun.
    edited December 14, 2009
    Paddler!! Your photos are awesome!! I'm definitely trying this! :)
    paddler4 wrote:

Have fun.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thanks. very kind of you. Have fun!