What's going on with my speedlight?

ktb53ktb53 Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited December 12, 2009 in Technique
I've noticed that TTL mode on my flash doesn't produce nearly as much flash power than if I'm in manual mode on my flash and use anything from full power on down to 1/16th or more. I keep finding myself in low light situations with the flash in TTL mode where I'm having to bump the ISO up but I know the flash could put out much more power then it is? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    ktb53 wrote:
    I've noticed that TTL mode on my flash doesn't produce nearly as much flash power than if I'm in manual mode on my flash and use anything from full power on down to 1/16th or more. I keep finding myself in low light situations with the flash in TTL mode where I'm having to bump the ISO up but I know the flash could put out much more power then it is? Suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Sun shining directly into the flash meter? Very bright BG?
    Do you have sample shots of when it was happening?
    It's kinda hard to troubleshoot this kind of things without knowing the detailed circumstances...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 12, 2009
    Which camera body, which specific flash unit, ISO speed, shutter speed, ambient light levels with correct exposure settings for ambient light would all help.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin