Amber in the Haunted House

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited December 16, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
These are a few shots that I was able to rescue from last weekend's photoshoot with models in an abandoned house –my first time shooting people ever. Light is all natural coming only from the window behind Amber, with no reflectors used.

p242900353-4.jpg

p558856439-4.jpg

p157239626-4.jpg

p286609153-4.jpg

Thanks for looking...
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    You might want to post this on People -- you'll get more feedback regarding posing and lighting there.
    Nice use of the window light in these.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Howdy Federico,

Really interesting images, really like the way the first and last ones turned out.

The Poses for me in 2 & 3 a little forced and un-natural, but that's just me.

Really a spooky and moody setting.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    You might want to post this on People -- you'll get more feedback regarding posing and lighting there.
    Nice use of the window light in these.
    Thanks for the feedback, Andrew, much appreciated. (After thinking about it for a bit, I chose to post these here because I don't think they're really portraits. These images are about the model as much as they are about the room –that was the intention, at least.)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
    edited December 14, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Federico,

Really interesting images, really like the way the first and last ones turned out.

The Poses for me in 2 & 3 a little forced and un-natural, but that's just me.

Really a spooky and moody setting.
    Thanks, Craig, appreciate your feedback as well. The first one is my favourite, followed closely by #2. These two were captured when the model was warming up before we started shooting (#1) and when the three of us photographers were switching places (#2) –i.e., neither was posed. The last two are posed though, and I agree that #3 feels forced, mostly because the ledge was not roomy enough to accommodate the model's behind, so she couldn't really sit.

Since I posted these, I've absolutely soured on #4 –her arms seem to be growing from her back, among other issues.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 15, 2009
    invisible wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, Andrew, much appreciated. (After thinking about it for a bit, I chose to post these here because I don't think they're really portraits. These images are about the model as much as they are about the room –that was the intention, at least.)

These are very interesting pics, IMO. They make you wonder what a well-dressed woman is doing in a place like that. You did fairly well with difficult back lighting but I can't help thinking that some fill flash would have put these shots right over the top. The light bleed doesn't quite suffice to make her look like a ghost and ends up being distracting, especially in #1 and #4. I think you're very close to doing something striking here, but you need to rethink it a bit.
    edited December 15, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    These are very interesting pics, IMO. They make you wonder what a well-dressed woman is doing in a place like that. You did fairly well with difficult back lighting but I can't help thinking that some fill flash would have put these shots right over the top. The light bleed doesn't quite suffice to make her look like a ghost and ends up being distracting, especially in #1 and #4. I think you're very close to doing something striking here, but you need to rethink it a bit.
    Thank you very much, Richard... I completely agree with you about the fill flash and to a certain extent about the light bleed –I didn't intend to make her look like a ghost :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 16, 2009
    invisible wrote:
    Thank you very much, Richard... I completely agree with you about the fill flash and to a certain extent about the light bleed –I didn't intend to make her look like a ghost :)

I took the ghost idea from the title of your pic, actually. But I agree that the idea will work better if she doesn't look like one--just a well dressed, striking woman in an abandoned, dilapidated room. thumb.gif