convincing or cheap?

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited December 15, 2009 in People
I had a photoshoot today w/ a couple who are going to have a baby in a few months. We went downtown to the art district and I saw this block. It had different letters on it (as you can see) however I took them out of the top and put in "b a b y" does it look convincing or does it look cheap?
TIA
Court
DSC01610.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    You can tell it's photoshopped but it looks cute! Very good idea :)
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    You can tell it's photoshopped but it looks cute! Very good idea :)
    Thanks.. do you think it should be one to show THEM?ne_nau.gif
    Courtney
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Show it,
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Guess my eyes aren't so good. I don't see anything overtly saying that it was photoshopped in (other than the other two sides have the same letters and this one doesn't). IMO, nicely done and and they may like it. Without the letters changed, I'm not sure the picture has much of a point as a pregnancy photo.

Cute idea...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Guess my eyes aren't so good. I don't see anything overtly saying that it was photoshopped in (other than the other two sides have the same letters and this one doesn't). IMO, nicely done and and they may like it. Without the letters changed, I'm not sure the picture has much of a point as a pregnancy photo.

Cute idea...
    Thanks!! The only reason I took this picture (because like you said it made no point of a preg. picture) was because I had the idea of putting those letters in there.. I think they themselves were kinda wondering why I posed them there lol.. (I haven't told them about it).
    thanks again!
    Court
    Courtney
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Good shot. The letters look good to me, but I do see some "drawing outside the lines" on the upper right edge of the cube. It looks like you cloned a bit past the edge in a couple of spots.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
    edited December 13, 2009
    CoryUT wrote:
    Good shot. The letters look good to me, but I do see some "drawing outside the lines" on the upper right edge of the cube. It looks like you cloned a bit past the edge in a couple of spots.
    Thanks! I'll fix that up :D .. i see it too
    Courtney
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Although I like the idea, I get a sense that the letters are lying outside of the correct three-dimensional plane of the cube. What I mean is, when placing the letters on top, you should tilt them a bit so as to align them with the angle of the cube, otherwise it looks a bit artificial to me.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
    edited December 13, 2009
    Although I like the idea, I get a sense that the letters are lying outside of the correct three-dimensional plane of the cube. What I mean is, when placing the letters on top, you should tilt them a bit so as to align them with the angle of the cube, otherwise it looks a bit artificial to me.
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. How would I do that?
    (BTW love your screen name lol)
    Courtney
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. How would I do that?
    (BTW love your screen name lol)
    Thx, the name has a Washington-zoo story behind it :)

Anyway, what I meant is that I'd use the warp function when placing text on the box so that the letters as slightly skewed. What I'm thinking of is when going in CS, pick warp text [T with the curved arrow under it] - style: rise; no horizontal distortion but a slight vertical distortion that makes the letter look more fitting in with the angle of the cube. Mainly the y gave me the sense of being 'slightly off'
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
    edited December 13, 2009
    Thx, the name has a Washington-zoo story behind it :)

Anyway, what I meant is that I'd use the warp function when placing text on the box so that the letters as slightly skewed. What I'm thinking of is when going in CS, pick warp text [T with the curved arrow under it] - style: rise; no horizontal distortion but a slight vertical distortion that makes the letter look more fitting in with the angle of the cube. Mainly the y gave me the sense of being 'slightly off'
    Gotcha! I'll try it and repost .. thanks!
    Courtney
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Nice, doesn't look very photoshopped to me thumb.gif

I didn't get the word 'baby' at first, though, maybe because of the way the letters are positioned or something? or because of all the other letters? I'm not sure. I see it now of course, but if you wouldn't have said it, I may have looked passed it.
  • WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    You know, the only thing that really bothers me for some weird reason is that the mom is standing on the garden and the dad is out of it... either both in or both out...

I took me a while to see that the letters say baby because of the order. It does look photoshoped, but you can fix that in post... the feet thing... good luck.

Kind regards.

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I like the idea and I think it is a keeper. I also see where the cloning has spilled over the edges of the cube. You might be able to mask the cube from the background in PS and get a cleaner edge.
  • dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    I had a photoshoot today w/ a couple who are going to have a baby in a few months. We went downtown to the art district and I saw this block. It had different letters on it (as you can see) however I took them out of the top and put in "b a b y" does it look convincing or does it look cheap?
    TIA
    Court
    DSC01610.jpg

On the photoshop side I think you did an excellent job (it isn't obvious that it's photoshopped). As for the photo itself, I don't like the pose very much (I feel like it would look better perhaps from a lower angle with a wide-angle lens, and with the couple physically closer together). I think it's a good idea but you need to play with the execution and framing a bit for it to come out with more three-dimensionality.

Just my two cents :) keep up the good work,

Daniel Chui