Latkes Are Ready

Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in People

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Those are some fine looking Latkes, and happy Latke Chefs. Happy Chanukkah!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Um... what is Chanukah?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Um... what is Chanukah?
    Um, you're kidding, right?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanukah
    edited December 12, 2009
    Jewish Festival of Lights starting on the 25th of Kislev (Jewish month, so it moves a bit year on year relative to the Gregorian calendar). It's orgins are in the successful uprising against the Greeks and Helenists (Jews wanting to adopt Greek society) and the retaking of the Temple Mount and its rededication. There is a story of there only being enough oil for the Temple Menorah to burn for 1 day, but it lasted 8 while more oil was being pressed. Thus the 9-candle candleabra (one candle is the candle for lighting the others). The oil theme is carried over into the foods of the holiday, which are fried potato pancakes called Latkes and jelly-filled donuts called Sufganiyot. Each originate from different traditions in Jewish history.

In the grand scheme of things, Chanukkah (which literally means 'dedication') is a minor Holiday (it is not from the Torah, but rather the books of First and Second Maccabbis, which are only actually in the canon of the Catholic church -- they are not in Hebrew Bible or Protestant Bibles). The books are much more about the military victory, which the Rabbis of 2000 years ago (when the canon was set) were nervous about including (additionally there are questions as to the sources and if they are on par with the divinity of other books, but that's a whole different theology discussion there).

Thus the holiday, which had large grass-roots support, was re-directed toward the themes of miracles, light and retaining identity. It is a fun holiday of food (none of it good for you), family, games and and lights that get brighter each night as the moon fades to black and a new month begins, and the nights are very dark indeed. The Jewish calendar months are lunar-aligned, so day 1 is always a new moon.

Hopefully that was long enough to be useful and not too long to be boring.... Thanks for asking....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 12, 2009
    Or I could have just linked the Wiki.....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Um, you're kidding, right?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanukah

Andy, there are kids in my friends middle school here in Central Texas who have no idea what it is, and she was the first Jew they ever knowing knew. There are teachers at the same school who also have never known a Jew or know nothing of Jewish culture. There is a healthy Jewish community here in Central Texas, so I am not surprised at all for someone in China to have no idea of what Chanukah is.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Andy, there are kids in my friends middle school here in Central Texas who have no idea what it is, and she was the first Jew they ever knowing knew. There are teachers at the same school who also have never known a Jew or know nothing of Jewish culture. There is a healthy Jewish community here in Central Texas, so I am not surprised at all for someone in China to have no idea of what Chanukah is.
    I find it hard to believe :D

And, it's a shame for Central TX kids to be so unworldly. Crack a book, newspaper, etc. Chanukkah, Hannukah, however you want to spell it, is not exactly a minor holiday.

deal.gif
    edited December 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I find it hard to believe :D

And, it's a shame for Central TX kids to be so unworldly. Crack a book, newspaper, etc. Chanukkah, Hannukah, however you want to spell it, is not exactly a minor holiday.

deal.gif

Sad, but true.

In the US it sure isn't a minor holiday, you are right. Proximity to Christmas and all helped it evolve into a more significant holiday. I have no idea to what extent the Jewish community in China celebrates it beyond their homes. Here, there is a big chanunkiah (9-candled menorah) the gets lit, and my daughter's school choir is singing with about 4 other synagogue choirs down at a park tomorrow as part of a program.

I only refer to it as minor as it isn't a core holiday from the point of view of the canon. It is a wonderful holiday with great tradition and meaning, but isn't a major holiday vis-a-vis the liturgical calendar -- relative to Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, or Passover.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    Happy Chanukah

M

Mmmmm....latkes. binge.gif
    edited December 13, 2009
    Please remember that I live in China :D

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited December 13, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Jewish Festival of Lights starting on the 25th of Kislev (Jewish month, so it moves a bit year on year relative to the Gregorian calendar). It's orgins are in the successful uprising against the Greeks and Helenists (Jews wanting to adopt Greek society) and the retaking of the Temple Mount and its rededication. There is a story of there only being enough oil for the Temple Menorah to burn for 1 day, but it lasted 8 while more oil was being pressed. Thus the 9-candle candleabra (one candle is the candle for lighting the others). The oil theme is carried over into the foods of the holiday, which are fried potato pancakes called Latkes and jelly-filled donuts called Sufganiyot. Each originate from different traditions in Jewish history.

In the grand scheme of things, Chanukkah (which literally means 'dedication') is a minor Holiday (it is not from the Torah, but rather the books of First and Second Maccabbis, which are only actually in the canon of the Catholic church -- they are not in Hebrew Bible or Protestant Bibles). The books are much more about the military victory, which the Rabbis of 2000 years ago (when the canon was set) were nervous about including (additionally there are questions as to the sources and if they are on par with the divinity of other books, but that's a whole different theology discussion there).

Thus the holiday, which had large grass-roots support, was re-directed toward the themes of miracles, light and retaining identity. It is a fun holiday of food (none of it good for you), family, games and and lights that get brighter each night as the moon fades to black and a new month begins, and the nights are very dark indeed. The Jewish calendar months are lunar-aligned, so day 1 is always a new moon.

Hopefully that was long enough to be useful and not too long to be boring.... Thanks for asking....

Thank you very much for the explanation!

I was just hungry two minutes ago, but thanks to you, I am now famished clap.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Those look delicious!! Nice photo!

My wife added spinach to her latkes this year. They were "Wicked"! mwink.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Happy Hannukah!

(And Mitchell, while I haven't had latkes of any kind in many MANY years, spinach latkes sound absolutely divine and make me want to learn how to make them. You care to share your wife's recipe by PM?! :D)
    edited December 13, 2009
    Mitchell, curious as well. "Wicked" latkes sound yummy....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I'm especially glad to trigger some vital learning for my young friend Aaron. It's a big world and a small world at the same time.

Mitchell, tonight we'll attempt the addition of spinach (though I'm sure our chefs would appreciate the original version, or perhaps latkes spiked with candied ginger). Please share your recipe right here!
    Thanks.

M
    edited December 13, 2009
    Miguel, mind if we add more Latke pix to this thread?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:

You know you're a photography addict when you want to take pictures of latkes instead of gobbling them down. lol3.gif
    edited December 13, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    You know you're a photography addict when you want to take pictures of latkes instead of gobbling them down. lol3.gif
    Easier on the digestive tract... rolleyes1.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Not at all. Chanukah is an 8-day party after all wings.gif

M
    adbsgicom wrote:
    edited December 13, 2009
    1. Creation.
    739690952_Trsmi-O.jpg

2. Tasting
    739690914_NtQcz-O.jpg

3. Satisfaction
    739690843_5wymz-O.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Fun series, Andrew.

Here's the recipe for the spinach latkes.

3 large potatoes
    1 sweet onion
    2 oz fresh spinach
    Salt and coarse black pepper to taste
    2 eggs
    3 tbsp flour or matzo meal

Of course you also need oil.:D We use canola oil.

Grate the potatoes and onion.

Mix together with the spinach, eggs, flour and S&P to taste

Coat the bottom of a pan with oil over medium heat.

Spoon in the mixture and flatten until 3-4 inches across and cook 4 minutes on each side.

Best if eaten immediately.

I prefer the latkes with the above recipe. The coarse texture of the grated potatoes is really a treat. My kids prefer the potatoes, spinach and onions blenderized to a very smooth texture. This turns the mixture into a "Wicked" green color. The exact shade of Elphaba!rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 13, 2009
    Thanks, Mitchell. We now have our next recipe.... Need to get through the overage we have from tonight first...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Now I am hungry for some Latkas!!

Happy Chanukah and keep the pics and recipes coming! :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    738545179_GVTBr-L.jpg

Happy Chanukah

M

Great photo! I love latkes and now have latke envy.