Options

A warm up exercise for TYIR

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited December 15, 2009 in Street and Documentary
OK, we all want to pick three great images from the last year to show everyone what great stuff we are capable of. But let's take B.D.s signature seriously: "He not busy being born is busy dying." So how have we changed?

Here's a little warm up exercise.
  1. Pick one of your very favorite all time shots from before 2009. I mean one of your very most favorites of all time.
  2. Pick your very favorite from this past year. OK, the rest are going to be burned and flushed down the bit bucket. You get to keep just one from the whole year and it goes in your Wikipedia page and that's what people will think you are.

Now how do you feel? DId you learn something this year? Did you lose something?

I'll kick it off:

69321531_nCiVX-XL.jpg
Tai Jimenez in Boston Ballet's production of Balanchine's Serenade, 2006

567300417_BQieS-XL.jpg

It was hard to pick my favorite from this year, harder than from all the years before, which I guess is a good thing indeed.

B.D. deserves a lot of thanks for the difference in what I did this year compared to all previous years. Maybe next year, I'll integrate what he has taught me with what I brought to the party.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Rutt,

I just commented in your "Blunt critique and feeling good" thread and this is a great example!
    In regard to Street & PJ you get a thumb.gif in my book for your 2009 transition - and that's saying a lot because the 2nd image really had me sitting looking at it and thinking, and that's a gift. Thank you!

The ballerina photo is very nice but it means nothing to me and I quickly scrolled down. I hope I'm not offending! No offense intended.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    OK, I'm game. By coincidence, I was thinking about this earlier today, before I read your post.

All time favorite street shot (2006)
    739626862_Preiz-L.jpg

Favorite from 2009
    682413821_Ps9Yg-L.jpg
    If one only had these two data points, the inescapable conclusion here is that I should quit before I get any worse rolleyes1.gif. But of course, it's not that simple. Overall, I'm quite sure that I am doing better now than I was three years ago. But there's an element of chance in street shooting which can't be ignored. Not in technique, once you are experienced enough, but in what you come across.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    The nun shot is DA BOMB!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    OK, I'm game. By coincidence, I was thinking about this earlier today, before I read your post.

If one only had these two data points, the inescapable conclusion here is that I should quit before I get any worse rolleyes1.gif. But of course, it's not that simple. Overall, I'm quite sure that I am doing better now than I was three years ago. But there's an element of chance in street shooting which can't be ignored. Not in technique, once you are experienced enough, but in what you come across.
    [/CENTER]

The nun shot is a killer, Richard - really, really lovely. clap.gifclap.gif

NOW - Not to rain on Rutt's parade - But I'd really like to bring this one to a screeching halt. If people want to post their favorite all time image, so be it. But rather than steal your own thunder for the 2009 exercise, I'd really rather people didn't start posting their favorite 2009 shots now. Please save them to post as part of your best three group. Thanks. bowdown.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    Thanks, Damon and PF. thumb.gif

BD: I don't understand your objection. headscratch.gif Seems like Rutt's exercise and the YIR are different and could co-exist easily enough. While it's true that this year's favorite will appear in both places, I'm guessing that in most cases we will have already seen those pics here on Dgrin anyway. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    Yeah I saw these as complimentary exercises. In fact, I found this one a little easier than YIR because I do have an absolute favorite, but have some ties for 2nd and 3rd places.

But I'll give B.D. this: hold the comments on this year's favorites here and put them in the YIR gallery. Perhaps that will turn the red light green?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks, Damon and PF. thumb.gif

BD: I don't understand your objection. headscratch.gif Seems like Rutt's exercise and the YIR are different and could co-exist easily enough. While it's true that this year's favorite will appear in both places, I'm guessing that in most cases we will have already seen those pics here on Dgrin anyway. ne_nau.gif

Well, I'd really like people to be thinking about their best three - and in doing that, what they pull out today as best may not hold up.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Well, I'd really like people to be thinking about their best three - and in doing that, what they pull out today as best may not hold up.

They're free to change their minds, both here and in the gallery. But I agree that some thought needs to go into the selection. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    In fact, I don't think my best here is one I'll use for YIR. Not because I didn't think it was a best at the time, but because I've thought harder since. In fact, I've also rethought my all time best before 2009. I don't know how useful this thought was, but it was thought after all.

My idea was that it would be interesting to see if 2009 had brought about some change compared to previous work. In my case, it certainly has...
    If not now, when?