duotone,tritone,quadtone problems

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited July 24, 2005 in Finishing School
Hi

Whilst I am temporarily cameraless I have been enjoying printing of some older infrareds from last summer(my 20d and ef-s 60mm macro will be here soon..)

I have been playing around with black and white and have a canon i9950 printer(a great printer).I am however a novice printer and my photoshop skills are still rather rudimentary.I really need to undertake some formal training...in the meantime I am burning up ink and using some rather ordinary paper on which to experiment.

The problem is that in PS -Modes I tried to use duotone and tritone etc to improve my image.

After processing, when I tried to save the image as a jpeg in order to print it , this was not allowed ,as apparently some of the tagged information had changed to the point that conversion was not allowed...whats going on here?

Should I even be bothering with duotone etc and instead be able to achieve the same result through another method in PS?

I look forward to your opinions and advice.

Greg
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    There are a few things that might stop you saving as a jpeg, having the file in 16 bit mode or in lab mode being a couple.

I've found that a quick solution (not always ideal, I'd be the first to admit) is to use "save for web". This seems to remove all those little quirks that jpegs don't like and should let you save your photograph in that format.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    david_h has it right.

Photoshop will not let you save a duotone mode image as a JPEG. You'll first have to convert from duotone mode to RGB mode. Once you've done that, you'll be able to save your file as a JPEG. As david_h suggested you could also just do a Save For Web command to generate your JPEG.

As far as finding a different way to get duotones... I've never played with them, so I really can't offer any advice. I would think that any alternate approach would involve adjustment layers so maybe try some searches for duotone and "adjustment layer" ne_nau.gif
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    thanks david /cletus
    ..thats the ticket,thanks both.

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    quadtone happy
    got it to work nicely-now thanks to your tip I can duotone,tritone and even quadtone.it makes a real difference to my black and white infrareds.i think it also helps me chew through a lot of black ink...g