My site crashes iPhone browser - why?

mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
edited January 12, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I just got an iPhone a few days ago, and of course one of the first things I wanted to do was check out my site on the iPhone's Safari browser.

I have a problem though. It appears to kill the browser. The main page mostly loads and then everything disappears and I'm dumped back to a blank browser window. If I navigate back to my site a second time, it does then load and operate normally.

However if I close that page, exist the browser, and then start the browser, the whole thing starts over again - the first load crashes but is fine after.

I've only minimal customization which I tried removing, but that didn't help. I tried switching my main page to the default smugmug theme, but that didn't help either.

The special iPhone version of the site works fine.

My site is www.ruama.com

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Comments

• albumflipalbumflip Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Sounds like the same basic issue, except that it happens for me just from putting in my site's URL rather than clicking a link from an email (which I have not tried).
    edited December 15, 2009
    Have any iPhone using Smugmug support people had a chance to check this out?
    edited December 17, 2009
    bump
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Hi guys I don't know the exact status but I'll get someone to respond as soon as I can.
    edited January 10, 2010
    Any news on this?
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 11, 2010
    Matt,

I just tested your site from my iphone and it loads fine. I was able to replicate the other bug from the link. But this one is not happening the same way.

Can you tell me what phone model you are using, and what OS version?

I am using the 3G so I just want to make sure it is not a 3GS issue or maybe an older software version involved. Some of the new phones come loaded with older software. I had to get a replacement and it took 20 minutes just to update several times.

Does your phone crash on other sites? Like my www.docwalkersphotography.com or cmac.smugmug.com try both so that we can tell if it is custom domain related or not.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited January 12, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Matt,

I just tested your site from my iphone and it loads fine. I was able to replicate the other bug from the link. But this one is not happening the same way.

Can you tell me what phone model you are using, and what OS version?

I am using the 3G so I just want to make sure it is not a 3GS issue or maybe an older software version involved. Some of the new phones come loaded with older software. I had to get a replacement and it took 20 minutes just to update several times.

Does your phone crash on other sites? Like my www.docwalkersphotography.com or cmac.smugmug.com try both so that we can tell if it is custom domain related or not.

--Doc

Keep in mind that it only crashes the first time, it will work after that. You have to close the browser window again before you can replicate the crash. If you got the crash first at the other link, then mine might work after that (unless you did close the browser window).

I'm using an iPhone 3GS. The software version is 3.1.2. It's not jailbroken or anything like that.

I think you may have stumbled across something though. It looks like it only crashes if I use my domain name, but not when using the smugmug address.

Here's exact sequence:

Start iPhone Safari (there are no other browser windows, just the first blank one)
    Type in www.ruama.com
    The page loads about 90% and then disappears back to a blank browser window
    In that same blank browser window, type in www.ruama.com again - this time it will load without crashing
    Press the little Safari multi-page icon in the bottom right and close that browser window, now you'll have a new blank window.
    Typing in www.ruama.com on that new blank window will start the cycle over again.

If I try the exact same sequence with ruama.smugmug.com, then it never crashes.

I DO get the same crash sequence when trying www.docwalkersphotography.com
    I DO NOT get the same crash sequence when trying cmac.smugmug.com

So it looks like it's somehow related to using a custom domain on a new browser window.

Unfortunately the iPhone Safari browser doesn't actually show an error and I'm not aware of any sort of log that it creates so I don't know what it's actually complaining about though.

I spot checked some other Smugmug sites that I found in other recent dgrin posts to see if the pattern holds up:
    www.paul-griffiths.net - CRASH
    peterslens.smugmug.com - No crash
    www.moonriverphotography - CRASH
    denise.smugmug.com - No crash
    craigd.smugmug.com - No crash
    www.Peloton-Pix.Com - CRASH

so that does seem to confirm that the crash only happens with custom domains (and only on the first load on a new browser window).

Hopefully that helps.

Matt
    edited January 12, 2010
    Matt, I think I figured it out. I believe its the cookie for the iPhone version. When you visit the site and click the link "are you using an iphone" it sets a cookie.

Then when you go back later, the cookie tries to load the iphone version and that is when it crashes for me. I am going to run this by the programmers and see what they think about it.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 12, 2010
    Matt, just to make sure, do you have any other tabs open at the same time? Like the iphone version?
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 12, 2010
    Nope, no other tabs open at the time.

I have visited the iPhone version of my site in the past, but not lately.