Options

Catch of the day ?

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited December 15, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Apparently the Thames river in London is cleaner than it has been for 200 years according to fishing experts who say that more than 125 species, including wild salmon, trout, plaice, haddock and bass now live in the waterway which was declared biologically dead in 1957.

699600690_jBPqL-L.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    Is he taking a leak? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Apparently the Thames river in London is cleaner than it has been for 200 years according to fishing experts who say that more than 125 species, including wild salmon, trout, plaice, haddock and bass now live in the waterway which was declared biologically dead in 1957.
    Nice silhouette - but there is nothing here that tells me anything about the Thames, London, salmon, trout, plaice, haddock, bass, the fact that the Thames was declared biologically dead, is now alive - or that this guy is fishing. Sorry. :ivar :ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    The photo was intended to illustrate the important fact that the Thames in London is once again clean enough to support life.

The location (London and more specifically the Thames) is anchored by the London Eye seen over the figure's right shoulder (http://www.londoneye.com/) and the activity (fishing) by the fishing rod arched over his back.

Hopefully it now makes sense ?
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    The photo was intended to illustrate the important fact that the Thames in London is once again clean enough to support life.

The location (London and more specifically the Thames) is anchored by the London Eye seen over the figure's right shoulder (http://www.londoneye.com/) and the activity (fishing) by the fishing rod arched over his back.

Hopefully it now makes sense ?

I'm familiar with the London Eye and I've spent a lot of time in London over the years. But the connections were still somewhat tenuous for me in the image. Not sure if it would have been possible, but getting more of the London skyline or a glimpse of the river might have helped. That and/or increasing the DOF so that the Eye was in sharper focus.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, very useful and something to bear in mind for future reference.

The picture should speak for itself........
    Syncopation

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    I'm sorry (pun intended mwink.gif ) but I like the photo and I find it goes great with the caption.
    The photo itself is very pleasing visually and it illustrates to me fishing in the Thames as noted in the caption. The photo could very well be used to illustrate an article on the subject stated in the caption.
    The picture should speak for itself........
    Very rare! Something I struggled with for a long time until I realized that words and photos can complement each other to create a greater whole.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Too many words to describe what should be seen. If I was editing a news story (and it's a good story), I would have asked for a reshoot to capture more landmarks in the background. The silhouette approach is great, but the lower 20% black horizontal band needs to go. It would be better to capture the man in action engaged with the fishing rod.

Of course these prescriptions move this further away from street photography into editorial work but those are only labels.

M