Pine Valley Fall colors

sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Fall colors are not only an East coast thing ...
I've been driving by Pine Valley on HWY 8 between San Diego and Phoenix for years now and always loved the trees and colors in this valley.
I finaly went to get some shots last week and as usual the experience of taking the shots was way better than the outcome.740171960_FgPCY-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Beautiful Shimon. I love the composition and the colors with the animals in the bg clap.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 13, 2009
    Very nice shot, Shimon! Looks like a peaceful place. I had to google it to find out about it. I too like the cows in the shot, and I think I see a heron or some bird in the left foreground. The colors are subdued, but I really like the golden look of the grass. Was it a cloudy day?

As an aside, you go right buy the Salton Sea on that route to Phoenix. That's a great place to do some photography you know. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Nice Shot, Shimon! Who needs the East Coast?! :D

Have you tried Julian for fall colors? I keep telling myself to head over there and check it out, but pretty much every weekend lately something's come up and I haven't made it yet.

And as Joel said, there's awesome photo ops at the Salton Sea. I've wanted to get over there since I first saw shots of it. Sadly haven't put a trip together yet, but it's on the bucket list!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Beautiful Shimon. I love the composition and the colors with the animals in the bg clap.gif
    Thanks Danny
    kdog wrote:
    Very nice shot, Shimon! Looks like a peaceful place. I had to google it to find out about it. I too like the cows in the shot, and I think I see a heron or some bird in the left foreground. The colors are subdued, but I really like the golden look of the grass. Was it a cloudy day?

As an aside, you go right buy the Salton Sea on that route to Phoenix. That's a great place to do some photography you know. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks, yes is was cloudy and raining actually, it was right before the big storm (California wise) hit San Diego. I'll have to check out the Salton Sea, thanks.
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Nice Shot, Shimon! Who needs the East Coast?! :D

Have you tried Julian for fall colors? I keep telling myself to head over there and check it out, but pretty much every weekend lately something's come up and I haven't made it yet.

And as Joel said, there's awesome photo ops at the Salton Sea. I've wanted to get over there since I first saw shots of it. Sadly haven't put a trip together yet, but it's on the bucket list!

Thanks Chris, I've been to Julian but usually with family etc., need to go there myself one day so I can get some shots.
    We could plan a day trip together one day to Salton sea.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    sgonen wrote:
    Thanks Chris, I've been to Julian but usually with family etc., need to go there myself one day so I can get some shots.
    We could plan a day trip together one day to Salton sea.

I'm in!! I'm going to be busy running around through the end of the year but let me know what works for you in the new year and we'll get out there for some shooting! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Shimon,

I go out that way all the time. Was out that way on a stormy Saturday right after Thanksgiving. You did very well on the colors, it looks. I am glad you did not overprocess the scene. I live in San Diego myself. I thought this was right off old Highway 80, next to Buckman Springs road, when I first saw this image. The cows are the icing on the cake, for this shot. I love the perspective, as well.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    cfrey6 wrote:
    Shimon,

I go out that way all the time. Was out that way on a stormy Saturday right after Thanksgiving. You did very well on the colors, it looks. I am glad you did not overprocess the scene. I live in San Diego myself. I thought this was right off old Highway 80, next to Buckman Springs road, when I first saw this image. The cows are the icing on the cake, for this shot. I love the perspective, as well.

Cool, thanks for your comments - yes it was right off old HWY 80 - I parked right here and walked up a trail a bit to get this shot: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32746+Old+Highway+80,+Pine+Valley,+CA,+United+States&sll=32.732274,-116.483274&sspn=0.020397,0.035834&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=32746+Old+Highway+80,+Pine+Valley,+San+Diego,+California+91962&ll=32.732292,-116.483231&spn=0.040505,0.071669&z=14