Santa Pictures!

jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in People
Recently a friend of mine who runs an Edward Jones office asked me if I would come take pictures of some of his client's and their kids along with Santa Claus for Christmas. I thought it would be a good way to get some free advertising, since I'm just starting out. I think the photos turned out pretty well, although the experience taught me a few things.

1). Relying on optical slave flashes is not reliable. I can't afford pocket wizards yet, but I'm definitely going to invest in some more gadget infinity radio triggers soon.

2). Dogs + leashes + light stands = broken radio trigger. My only flash trigger snapped when the light stand took a tumble (umbrella and all).

3). Duct tape. You should always carry duct tape. I was able to repair the radio trigger enough to get through the shoot. Otherwise I would have had to rely on bounce flash or my 35mm f/1.8.

Anyway, here's some of the results, I hope the clients end up liking them.

739395649_8XcqS-L-1.jpg

739392266_qdGEm-L-1.jpg

739398933_Hi3r6-L-1.jpg

739332260_WAbZM-L-1.jpg

739401743_mgQwe-L-1.jpg

PS. Best Santa and Mrs. Claus Ever.
J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey

Comments

• l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    739401743_mgQwe-L-1.jpg

PS. Best Santa and Mrs. Claus Ever.

That is just beautiful!!!

I love that they're non-traditional, not the "sit on Santa's lap and click" pictures that you get at the mall. So super sweet.

I think Santa and Mrs. Claus need that one of them blown up to hang up in their house during the holidays as a thank-you, don't you? clap.gif
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    That is just beautiful!!!

I love that they're non-traditional, not the "sit on Santa's lap and click" pictures that you get at the mall. So super sweet.

I think Santa and Mrs. Claus need that one of them blown up to hang up in their house during the holidays as a thank-you, don't you? clap.gif

I agree totally. I liked all of the shots but the last one was the winner to me.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • MikepicMikepic Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Very nice !
    I like them all.

what was your set-up ?

Mike
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Mikepic wrote:
    Very nice !
    I like them all.

what was your set-up ?

Mike

Nikon D40x, 55-200mm VR
    SB-600 with an umbrella to the left with my gadget infinity remote on it, a promaster flash on a stand bouncing off the ceiling for fill light on the left (in optical slave mode), and one more promaster flash on the floor behind them pointing up towards the wall (although this one was not reliable and didn't go off most of the time, so my wall and background was pretty dark in some of the shots)
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    those are all super cute.. I agree.. looks like the best santa and mrs. clause ever!
    Courtney
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I think Santa and Mrs. Claus need that one of them blown up to hang up in their house during the holidays as a thank-you, don't you? clap.gif[/quote]

I totally agree.. wouldn't that be a great gift!
    Courtney
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    These are great! Love the last one, it's a bit on the warm side, but very nice thumb.gif Judging by the smiles it looks like a fun time was had!