Options

Bus stop

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Street and Documentary
First time posting in this forum, but I've been a regular poster in other DGrin forums. Just checking to see if this what constitutes "street" photography in the view of the participants here.

472027227_nRQon-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    First time posting in this forum, but I've been a regular poster in other DGrin forums. Just checking to see if this what constitutes "street" photography in the view of the participants here.
    It is indeed street photography, Tony. And welcome to the streets - and world of documentary and photo journalism. rolleyes1.gif
    And now that the polite welcome is out of the way rolleyes1.gif...what we have here is a guy sleeping. But what more do we know than that? Should we know more?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2009
    Looks more like a girl to me ... headscratch.gif
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Looks more like a girl to me ... headscratch.gif
    My sentiments, too! Going by the pigtails!

To me the story is 'Too pooped to move!' rolleyes1.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    It is indeed street photography, Tony. And welcome to the streets - and world of documentary and photo journalism. rolleyes1.gif
    And now that the polite welcome is out of the way rolleyes1.gif...what we have here is a guy sleeping. But what more do we know than that? Should we know more?

I need some help here understanding your comment. The guy - and it is a guy to answer the other posters - is tired and waiting for a bus. I'm not sure what other "story" could be determined when we take a candid photograph of a stranger.

I haven't read this forum before. I've been the other dgrin forums. I'm not sure what you mean by "story".

In this case, I like the photograph because of the composition - the diagonal of the subject - and that shoe that isn't on the foot. It isn't a great shot, but it works for me. I debated about straightening the "horizon" (the bench top rail) but left it.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Interesting picture, and I've no idea of how long you had to take it; I'm worried about the horizontals, and it's a shame about the foreshortening, but the intriguing thing to me is the shoe… "Yes! yes! Behold, a sign! The Shoe! we will become disciples of The Shoe!" headscratch.gif

Interesting subject!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Interesting picture, and I've no idea of how long you had to take it; I'm worried about the horizontals, and it's a shame about the foreshortening, but the intriguing thing to me is the shoe… "Yes! yes! Behold, a sign! The Shoe! we will become disciples of The Shoe!" headscratch.gif

Interesting subject!

thumb.gif

- Wil

Taken from the window of my automobile as I drove by. Had to go around the block to get it and shoot from the driver's side through the passenger window. Time for one quick shot.

I kinda agree about the "horizon", but I was torn between straight and a combination of angles.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    In this case, I like the photograph because of the composition - the diagonal of the subject - and that shoe that isn't on the foot. It isn't a great shot, but it works for me. I debated about straightening the "horizon" (the bench top rail) but left it.
    It works for me, too. The tilt makes me worry a bit about him sliding off...I might even exaggerate it some, but then I can be nasty at times naughty.gif.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I need some help here understanding your comment. The guy - and it is a guy to answer the other posters - is tired and waiting for a bus. I'm not sure what other "story" could be determined when we take a candid photograph of a stranger.

I haven't read this forum before. I've been the other dgrin forums. I'm not sure what you mean by "story".

This is "Street" and the shot itself is somewhat interesting to me. The gender is ambiguous*, the shoe intriguing**, the pose slanting. rolleyes1.gif

The problem with the story is that you've given us a title. There is no indication in the shot itself that this is a bus stop. You've provided a filter to interpret the image and there are no supporting elements, thus I'm left flat. Oddly enough, not providing a title would allow me to create my own story. Couldn't this just as easily have been an exhausted Community College student taking a break on the way home?

* how did you determine this is a bloke if the shot was from your car? Could be a gal.
    ** Long live the shoe!
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    This is "Street" and the shot itself is somewhat interesting to me. The gender is ambiguous*, the shoe intriguing**, the pose slanting. rolleyes1.gif

The problem with the story is that you've given us a title. There is no indication in the shot itself that this is a bus stop. You've provided a filter to interpret the image and there are no supporting elements, thus I'm left flat. Oddly enough, not providing a title would allow me to create my own story. Couldn't this just as easily have been an exhausted Community College student taking a break on the way home?

* how did you determine this is a bloke if the shot was from your car?
    Could be a gal.
    ** Long live the shoe!

The hair style, which is what seems to be fooling most, is pretty common on African American males here. That's a big person, too. I can tell that because of the relation of the body to the bench and the size of the shoes compared to the bus stop bench.

That's not to say I'm 100% sure, but the whole look is consistent with a male judging by others I see in the area. Granted, I'm a old white guy, but I am observant of what I see around.