William

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 14, 2009 in People
Hi everybody! I just wanted to share a few black and white portraits I took of William recently. I met William and his father in the park near my house and they agreed to be part of the Free Portrait project (i.e. I take portraits for free and mail them to the parents, in return I get to have fun, build portfolio and give back to community).

Thanks for looking!

740404519_ebyz3-L-1.jpg

740404439_ADufT-XL-1.jpg

740404429_BBau2-XL-1.jpg

740404440_qjV8J-XL-2.jpg

It was a fun day :). Still trying to figure out my 1DS MK II. All shots taken with Canon 50MM 1.4 USM.

- Daniel Chui

Comments

• OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I know you said it was a fun day...but picture number 4 looks like he is looking at the end of the world.

Regardless great pictures.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I take portraits for free and mail them to the parents, in return I get to have fun, build portfolio and give back to community

The demise of the professional industry....
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I don't like the b/w treatment here. It makes his face look very gritty and dirty. Not a day in the park sort of look.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    #1 & 2 look a bit noisy (high iso?) and he appears to have one antenna sticking out of his head on #1

I like #4 - but it does look like he is waiting on the aliens to land
    Devin
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Give it a rest, the guy likes to take pictures for people. rolleyes1.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I like #1 and #4 very much. I also think the grain works with the b&w.

I like #2 as well, but it gives me a slight "The Omen" vibe rolleyes1.gif .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Hey!
    Ozzwald wrote:
    I know you said it was a fun day...but picture number 4 looks like he is looking at the end of the world.

Regardless great pictures.

Thanks for the comment, Ozzwald! I agree about picture 4 looking foreboding. It kind of reminds me of this photo of Elijah Wood.

FellaElijahWood_450Sq.jpg

Gotta love the end of the world.
    edited December 14, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:

Hey Swartzy! Don't worry, I still do charge.. it's just that with my fulltime job it's hard for me to schedule shoots (my boss is terrible about giving me my calendar a month in advance).
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I don't like the b/w treatment here. It makes his face look very gritty and dirty. Not a day in the park sort of look.

Hey Andrew! Thanks for the feedback. Usually my B&W treatment is a bit lighter (and the photos themselves more smiley), but I wanted to try for something different this time.
    edited December 14, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    #1 & 2 look a bit noisy (high iso?) and he appears to have one antenna sticking out of his head on #1

I like #4 - but it does look like he is waiting on the aliens to land

Hey there! Actually, the 1DS MK II did a great job with the noise. In the originals there is virtually no noise. I actually overlaid textures on a couple of the photos, and overlaid film noise on others... this explains the noise. It's just personal taste :).

And #4 I do like for the end of the world aspect. Hey, I"m a big fan of zombie literature.
    edited December 14, 2009
    I like #1 and #4 very much. I also think the grain works with the b&w.

I like #2 as well, but it gives me a slight "The Omen" vibe rolleyes1.gif .

Hey Lizzard :)

Yay! The entire reason I chose #2 is because of the omen vibe. Not all my pictures are meant to elicit "AWW" responses. I suppose this photo I won't show to the parent due to the entire devil reincarnated aspect ;).
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    dychui wrote:
    Hey Lizzard :)

Yay! The entire reason I chose #2 is because of the omen vibe. Not all my pictures are meant to elicit "AWW" responses. I suppose this photo I won't show to the parent due to the entire devil reincarnated aspect ;).

I would show it to the parents. IF they know their kid at all, then they will appreciate the slightly evil look (all kids have that streak I think), it's funny to see it on film.

As a parent it reminds me that I'm not as much the boss as I think I am. clap.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited December 14, 2009
    dychui wrote:
    Hey there! Actually, the 1DS MK II did a great job with the noise. In the originals there is virtually no noise. I actually overlaid textures on a couple of the photos, and overlaid film noise on others... this explains the noise. It's just personal taste :).

And #4 I do like for the end of the world aspect. Hey, I"m a big fan of zombie literature.

ah, my mistake.. i shouldn't have assumed as I sometimes will add some texture to my shots as well. thumb.gif
    Devin
    edited December 14, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    ah, my mistake.. i shouldn't have assumed as I sometimes will add some texture to my shots as well. thumb.gif

Hey Devin, have you tried Totally Rad Actions? They are totally awesome (and totally expensive)... but for overlays I haven't found better!

http://www.gettotallyrad.com/

- Daniel Chui
    edited December 14, 2009
    No - i haven't, but i'll sure give it a look. many thanks
    Devin
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Love these shots! For some reason they made me think that they belong with to a story, as in "a day in the life of William " :D
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    #2 is the winner
    Not a bad set, I actually don't mind the noise, nice texture, gives it a film feel. Don't like #1 as I can't stop looking at the stick he's holding coming out of the back of the head - too distracting I guess.

#2 is the best of the four, leaves a bit of a powerful statement to me, like having to look up to such a small guy and the expression on his face sets a more serious tone to me.

3rd is forgettable (sorry ne_nau.gif )

4 is a good shot (just not a good as 2 imho) but I do like the apocalyptic feel to it.

Not bad, you can always grab a cheapie Olympus E-500 with kit lens, pump up the ISO to about 1000 and get the same grain, just to save yourself some pp.
    Lee Wiren
    edited December 14, 2009
    Wiren wrote:
    Not a bad set, I actually don't mind the noise, nice texture, gives it a film feel. Don't like #1 as I can't stop looking at the stick he's holding coming out of the back of the head - too distracting I guess.

#2 is the best of the four, leaves a bit of a powerful statement to me, like having to look up to such a small guy and the expression on his face sets a more serious tone to me.

3rd is forgettable (sorry ne_nau.gif )

4 is a good shot (just not a good as 2 imho) but I do like the apocalyptic feel to it.

Not bad, you can always grab a cheapie Olympus E-500 with kit lens, pump up the ISO to about 1000 and get the same grain, just to save yourself some pp.

Hey Wiren!
    Thanks for your support and for your honest reply! I agree that #3 is the weakest of the set, I just couldn't capture that decisive moment :(. I appreciate that you took the time!