Last summer's dragonflies

mtullymtully Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited December 28, 2009 in Holy Macro
After lurking in this forum for months and enjoying the outstanding work of the many contributors I decided I should also contribute.

I realize my shots aren't really macro, but they don't really fit into the wildlife forum description.

All are shot handheld in natural light with a Nikon D40 and ancient micro Nikkor 105mm f4 or micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5.

I hope to try working with a flash next season to increase DOF, but I do like the look of the natural light.

Blue Dasher

740089463_vb5Jn-X3-1.jpg

Blue Dasher

740089505_cdEMD-X3-1.jpg

another Blue Dasher

740090052_9VwAu-X3-1.jpg

Ruddy Darter

740090219_Rxbmc-X3-1.jpg

Eastern Pondhawk

740090361_vsvBt-X3-1.jpg

12 Spotted Skimmer

740090709_NqRFx-X3-1.jpg

Black-Shouldered Spinyleg

740090762_YmRWk-X3-1.jpg

Ruddy Darter

740090832_excBQ-X3-1.jpg

Swamp Darner

740090955_2wk86-X3-1.jpg

Blue Dasher

740091225_y3yzk-X3-1.jpg

Ruddy Darter

740091743_VMjLX-X3-1.jpg

Common Green Darner

740091868_8TV7b-X3-1.jpg

C & C appreciated

Mike

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    WELCOME :D

very good series of dragons, love the 12 spot skimmer

the full dragon shots are a bit too tightly framed,try to leave a bit more room infront of the insect in the direction they are looking.
    phil
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Some wonderful images. I particularly like the last. Sure look macro to me, BTW. Thanks for posting.
  • mtullymtully Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I see what you mean Phil. The big guys look like they were treated as shapes in a frame rather than creatures in their environment. The little dashers, darters and skimmers are able to balance themselves on tops of things in nice poses, but the darners with their long bodies are only able to hang like pendants. I'll have to work on a different approach. Too bad my next opportunity is many months away.

Mike
  • WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Those are great! I love dragonflies.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Wonderful series of dragon shots. Especially like #4 ! :D
    Brian V.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Great Light!
    mtully
    I could not pick a favorite, loved them all. I'd say stay with the natural light. To me it looks like you reached out, grab the light and placed it where you wanted to. Was there much post processing? Thanks for sharing, I'd like to see more! Mark
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • mtullymtully Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Was there much post processing? Mark

Thanks for the compliment Mark. I'm fairly new to digital photography and didn't do much with post processing before last summer. My old macro lenses don't talk to the camera body, so there is no through-the-lens metering. My exposure guesses were somewhat erratic, so I was advised to shoot in RAW format to allow more exposure latitude. Shooting in RAW was a huge step forward for me. The post processing on these consists of fiddling with the exposure, contrast, color temp and adding some color saturation to combat the drabness of shooting in direct sunlight. The last step was to clone out the sensor dust, which I now realize I didn't do completely on these.

Please visit my gallery at www.miketully.smugmug.com to see more.
  • shadeofhisheartshadeofhisheart Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2009
    fantastic! i have thought about getting a nikon D40..i think perhaps you have made up my mind. great work ^-^