Janelle

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in People
Heya folks,

I did a small shoot with a friend Friday evening and thought I'd get your opinions on a few of the shots. I appreciate you all taking the time to check them out.

1)
739311631_ycWAf-L.jpg

2)
739303207_S2G9Q-L.jpg

3)
739310199_7GHcA-L.jpg

Thanks, again, for looking!
Travis

Comments

• MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Really nice series and lighting.
    I especially like the expression in number 2.
    Personally, I think I might have gone for a wider aperture to give them a shallower depth of field and a bit more bokeh but that's personal preference.
    It may well just be this uncalibrated work monitor but I'd have chilled out on the saturation of that pink top a little bit too.

Good work! :)
    Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
    Lenses:
    Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
    Lighting:
    Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
    Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Really nice series and lighting.
    I especially like the expression in number 2.
    Personally, I think I might have gone for a wider aperture to give them a shallower depth of field and a bit more bokeh but that's personal preference.
    It may well just be this uncalibrated work monitor but I'd have chilled out on the saturation of that pink top a little bit too.

Good work! :)
    Thank you for the comments. As my monitor is not color-calibrated it's always a crap shoot with the saturation. I'll revisit them and cool it down a bit. thumb.gif Thanks for the suggestion!
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Nice images, Travis.
    Of the set, I prefer the first. She has a nice pose overall. You did cut her off at the knuckles, but that doesn't really bug me (perhaps because I do it all the time). Color may be a tinge to the magenta, but still fine by me.

Second one I like the pose overall, and she has a great smile. I don't think that position though is doing her nearest eye any favors. Her eyebrow is a little off, and the crows feet at the eye make her seem much older than in the prior picture. There is definitely some magenta reflection from her top hitting the lower part of the face as well. Love the idea, though.

Third is very similar to the first in most respects. I like her facial expression much more in the first, though.

Season opinions with appropriate amounts of salt....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice images, Travis.
    Of the set, I prefer the first. She has a nice pose overall. You did cut her off at the knuckles, but that doesn't really bug me (perhaps because I do it all the time). Color may be a tinge to the magenta, but still fine by me.

Second one I like the pose overall, and she has a great smile. I don't think that position though is doing her nearest eye any favors. Her eyebrow is a little off, and the crows feet at the eye make her seem much older than in the prior picture. There is definitely some magenta reflection from her top hitting the lower part of the face as well. Love the idea, though.

Third is very similar to the first in most respects. I like her facial expression much more in the first, though.

Season opinions with appropriate amounts of salt....
    Kosher or sea? :D

Thanks for the comments, Andrew, I appreciate them. I'll revisit the saturation and see if that doesn't help with that magenta cast as well. The second shot isn't as flattering as I would have liked it to be but, overall, I was happy that I got one in that pose to work at all. I'll be shooting her again one of these days and definitely want to give that one another go. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Nice series thumb.gif to me #2 is the stronger one here. The (cut off) hand in 1 bothers me a tad too much to really like the shot. Her expression in #3 doesn't seem so natural to me as in the other 2. I really like her smile in #2, as well as her hand/fingers hold her shirt.
    edited December 14, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Nice series thumb.gif to me #2 is the stronger one here. The (cut off) hand in 1 bothers me a tad too much to really like the shot. Her expression in #3 doesn't seem so natural to me as in the other 2. I really like her smile in #2, as well as her hand/fingers hold her shirt.
    Thanks, Ivar. It's always nice to hear other's preferences. thumb.gif
    Travis
    edited December 14, 2009
    Either variety of salt works mwink.gif

If you re-pose the first, there general wisdom that says to not shoot a woman's hands wide. Get her hand tilted along the pillow so you have more of a profile so they look longer and narrower.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Either variety of salt works mwink.gif

If you re-pose the first, there general wisdom that says to not shoot a woman's hands wide. Get her hand tilted along the pillow so you have more of a profile so they look longer and narrower.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Andrew. That's actually one of those things that I know and instantly forget once a camera is in my hand. rolleyes1.gif I'll try and keep that in mind next time, though.
    Travis
    edited December 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Andrew. That's actually one of those things that I know and instantly forget once a camera is in my hand. rolleyes1.gif I'll try and keep that in mind next time, though.
    If I could do what I know I should do when I have the camera in hand, I'd be a much better photographer. I think the weight in my hand causes a lack of blood flow the brain...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    If I could do what I know I should do when I have the camera in hand, I'd be a much better photographer. I think the weight in my hand causes a lack of blood flow the brain...
    rolleyes1.gif

To hell with new sensors with high ISO and extreme fps, I want a camera that says "turn her hand moron"!
    Travis
    edited December 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

To hell with new sensors with high ISO and extreme fps, I want a camera that says "turn her hand moron"!
    rolleyes1.gif

Some apple app (iPix or Picassa) was touting the facial recognition sw for tagging. So we just need to amp that up a bit and have it operate in realtime on the data coming through the lens before we press the button. Not inconceivable. Ironically, it is more conceivable on the P&S since they all work off of 'Live View' mode as a default.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Some apple app (iPix or Picassa) was touting the facial recognition sw for tagging. So we just need to amp that up a bit and have it operate in realtime on the data coming through the lens before we press the button. Not inconceivable. Ironically, it is more conceivable on the P&S since they all work off of 'Live View' mode as a default.
    I've actually done a little work with facial recognition for the hospitality industry. I guess I could modify the scope of that project a bit... thumb.gif

In all seriousness, the next 10 years will see cameras with enough processing power to intelligently coach a model(s) into appealing positions. The algorithms either exist or are conceivable now. What a time we live in... (is that good or bad? ne_nau.gif).
    Travis
    edited December 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I've actually done a little work with facial recognition for the hospitality industry. I guess I could modify the scope of that project a bit... thumb.gif

In all seriousness, the next 10 years will see cameras with enough processing power to intelligently coach a model(s) into appealing positions. The algorithms either exist or are conceivable now. What a time we live in... (is that good or bad? ne_nau.gif).

Jury is still out. We had a wonderful discussion on the goods and bads of our communication systems at our Passover Seder this past year. When people type things that they would never say to a person who was in front of them, and many other ills, as well as the upside in how these systems, like DGrin, allow us to meet people we would never otherwise meet and learn so much from each other.

I still like the shocked expression on our kids/teens faces when you tell them about living in a world without cell phones or answering machines.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Jury is still out. We had a wonderful discussion on the goods and bads of our communication systems at our Passover Seder this past year. When people type things that they would never say to a person who was in front of them, and many other ills, as well as the upside in how these systems, like DGrin, allow us to meet people we would never otherwise meet and learn so much from each other.

I still like the shocked expression on our kids/teens faces when you tell them about living in a world without cell phones or answering machines.
    My family didn't have a home phone, let alone an answering machine, until I was 17. Granted, we didn't have much money and were a bit behind the times but it wasn't all that uncommon. We've yet to see the worst from technology, I'm afraid, but someday we'll all learn to make the most of it I hope. If nothing else, maybe the next generation of iPhone will make it unnecessary to think about what bad things can happen from it. :D
    Travis