Options

Biz Idea -- Groupons --

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited December 22, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I've heard about Groupons before, but have never used them; they're basically group coupons on a web site for certain cities.

However, I came across this today.

Photographer uses Groupons

In a nutshell, a photographer offered a 3 for 1 deal for about $70 sitting fee (dvd slideshow, one small print, etc), and over 300 people signed up. So... about $21,000 in sitting fee alone for the next year and clients will probably buy more prints.

It might work for you...

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Being in Denver, I saw this offer when it came via Groupon a few weeks ago. I was pretty skeptical at first, because I wasn't sure how many people would dig deeper into this and see what the final costs would be for extra prints, etc (they are not inexpensive per the website) and be turned off.

However, the follow-up work the blogger did was extremely eye-opening. I'd like to know what the cost was to advertise on Groupon, based on that $23k in sales. Groupon's model is such that they take a percentage of each item sold (each $69 package in this case). Still, not accounting for the photographer's time, this is an impressive amount of business in such a short time. And yes, despite what feels like extremely high ala carte print prices, should still yield some incremental sales...
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Just got off the phone with the Groupon people.

1) They have a large number of photographers in the Denver pipeline, so it would be some time before you would get a chance (if you were in Denver at least);
    2) Groupon takes 50% of the sales. So that $23k in the example dropped by 50%. Then you factor in taxes, etc. and wow...
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter