708027021_hdPoB-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:

Okay, your starting to lose me now...rolleyes1.gif One's fine. Two? Essentially the same? Maybe People's the place for these.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay, your starting to lose me now...rolleyes1.gif One's fine. Two? Essentially the same? Maybe People's the place for these.

I guess I'm struggling to determine what constitutes "street". Both of these shots were taken at an American Indian PowWow in Orlando. Both are candid shots of the people in the crowd. Neither was posed.

Does "street" have to be taken on a street? These are people representative of the crowd.

To me, the "People" forum is for photographs taken of people who were aware their photographs were being taken. Not necessarily posed or arranged, but at least aware that someone was pointing a camera at them.

My "technique" at an event like this, if I can dandify what I do, is sit on the ground and shoot up at people walking by. Shoot up because the backgrounds are usually cluttered and ugly and I like to catch faces. I don't see how that's different from shooting a street scene where the background doesn't add to the image.

Set me straight if I'm wrong.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I guess I'm struggling to determine what constitutes "street". Both of these shots were taken at an American Indian PowWow in Orlando. Both are candid shots of the people in the crowd. Neither was posed.

Does "street" have to be taken on a street? These are people representative of the crowd.

To me, the "People" forum is for photographs taken of people who were aware their photographs were being taken. Not necessarily posed or arranged, but at least aware that someone was pointing a camera at them.

My "technique" at an event like this, if I can dandify what I do, is sit on the ground and shoot up at people walking by. Shoot up because the backgrounds are usually cluttered and ugly and I like to catch faces. I don't see how that's different from shooting a street scene where the background doesn't add to the image.

Set me straight if I'm wrong.

You are wrong, as much as I hate to use that word. You are going out on the 'street,' and then shooting as though you were never there. The idea isn't to remove the subject from any connection with the environment, it's to capture that connection. Show us your subjects relationship with, or, for that matter, isolation from, the world around them. Again, go look at the work of Helen Levitt
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed