Pears new image

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited July 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I tried a whole new idea here. What do you think of this compared to the one I have on the challenge entry thread?
How's this composition?
Does the shadow of the pear add or detract?
Does the texture of the wood add or detract?

I didn't do much to it except a little curves and minor sharpening and slight crop.
29355391-L.jpg

Taken 7/21/05, f11.0, ISO 400, 1/30 sec. 75mm
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    YOWSER! - at the risk of seeming egotistical enough to think I could possibly win a challenge I'll say now that I may as well remove my entry if it has to compete with this.

I simply LOVE it Snappy. clap.gif
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    You won me over
    snapapple wrote:
    I tried a whole new idea here. What do you think of this compared to the one I have on the challenge entry thread?
    How's this composition?
    Does the shadow of the pear add or detract?
    Does the texture of the wood add or detract?
    I liked your original and I really appreciated the comparative shots. Picked up some great pointers from you for when ever I attempt to work on classic still life shots.

The shadow doesn't bother me and the wood really works for me. Gives the shot a "natural" appearance. Looks like the Pears were set out in the morning for breakfast... lighted by the morning sun.
    thumb.gif

Just my opinion.
    Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    YOWSER! - at the risk of seeming egotistical enough to think I could possibly win a challenge I'll say now that I may as well remove my entry if it has to compete with this.

I simply LOVE it Snappy. clap.gif
    Gosh, Angelo, :feelgood (blush) , you really know how to thrill a girl. That was unexpected, to be sure. I don't know what to say. So, thanks. Thanks a bunch. Now I guess I should change my entry?
    edited July 22, 2005
    I liked your original and I really appreciated the comparative shots. Picked up some great pointers from you for when ever I attempt to work on classic still life shots.

The shadow doesn't bother me and the wood really works for me. Gives the shot a "natural" appearance. Looks like the Pears were set out in the morning for breakfast... lighted by the morning sun.
    thumb.gif

Just my opinion.
    Dan
    Thanks Dan,
    I'm glad you like it.
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Hi Snappy,
    I guess I'm going to go against the grain here.

First, I do like this new shot better than the previous ones as a still life. The shadow adds as well as the grain in the wood. I think this is a superior shot to all the other attempts, for a still life.

On the other hand, this challenge is for curves. So, on this note, I think the shadow, wood grain and linear lines detract from the theme of curves. The pears are wonderfully curvatious as they are and the background takes from these whereas in the original shots, the background worked nicely to keep the curves of the pears.

Now, with these two sides being said, I do notice that there are quite a few votes that pictures get when they don't really match the theme as well as others, but are superior photos. When I vote, the first thing I look at technically is whether or not it fits the theme and where it places with other entries. I've been known (not by many) to vote for the best photo that fits the theme, not just the best photo.

Now, I must stay that I really like this shot and feel it should be printed and displayed. I like the cool colors, wonderful lighting and the comp all the way aroundthumb.gif.

Nice Shot,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

edited July 22, 2005

First, I do like this new shot better than the previous ones as a still life. The shadow adds as well as the grain in the wood. I think this is a superior shot to all the other attempts, for a still life.

On the other hand, this challenge is for curves. So, on this note, I think the shadow, wood grain and linear lines detract from the theme of curves. The pears are wonderfully curvatious as they are and the background takes from these whereas in the original shots, the background worked nicely to keep the curves of the pears.

Now, with these two sides being said, I do notice that there are quite a few votes that pictures get when they don't really match the theme as well as others, but are superior photos. When I vote, the first thing I look at technically is whether or not it fits the theme and where it places with other entries. I've been known (not by many) to vote for the best photo that fits the theme, not just the best photo.

Now, I must stay that I really like this shot and feel it should be printed and displayed. I like the cool colors, wonderful lighting and the comp all the way aroundthumb.gif.

Nice Shot,
    Chris
    Thanks for the honest critique Chris. That's exactly what I was getting at. I was afraid all the additional "character" in this shot would detract from the curves theme. All the while I do feel the additional interest adds to the image as a photograph and pears are the classic embodiment of curves. Boy, what do I do? I think this is the better photograph, but the other one is more curvey. If I were voting on them side by side, I'd say they both fit the theme, the other one more, but this one is the better photograph, so I'd vote for this one.

Are there any other opinions on this? Can anyone help me out here?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Very well done SA. I like the blueish wood against the brownish pearish.

The stem shadow looks nice in the shot also.

Gus
    edited July 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Very well done SA. I like the blueish wood against the brownish pearish.

The stem shadow looks nice in the shot also.

Gus
    Thanks Gus,
    You know what they say. It's all about the light....

Oh wait, that goes, "It's all about the food." rolleyes1.gif
    But, hey, pears are very tasty.:eat
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    Yes, Snappy, I really like it. I cannot answer re the topic of curves.

I am thinking of working up a few abstracts from today's birds........keep looking. I am tired right now, but it is very tempting. I am just worried that the feathers don't curve enough.

Other than that, I would like to try a high key abstract (with eye, of course)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DewDropDewDrop Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2005

Nice Shot,
    Chris
    Awesome shot! Couldn't agree more with Higgmeister.
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    Very good! And I love the shadows... very very nice. thumb.gif
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
    edited July 23, 2005
    Thanks Purified and Dewdrop,
    I appreciate your input. :curtsey
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks for the honest critique Chris. That's exactly what I was getting at. I was afraid all the additional "character" in this shot would detract from the curves theme. All the while I do feel the additional interest adds to the image as a photograph and pears are the classic embodiment of curves. Boy, what do I do? I think this is the better photograph, but the other one is more curvey. If I were voting on them side by side, I'd say they both fit the theme, the other one more, but this one is the better photograph, so I'd vote for this one.

Are there any other opinions on this? Can anyone help me out here?

Actually I think the shadow adds - there's a curvey trend-line that includes the stem of the shadow, the two "sides" of the shadow, and continuing with the pears. I think this suggests two types of curves - that large-scale one I just described, and the inherent curvaciousness of the pears themselves.

Granted, that large-scale curve is a bit imperfect in this arrangement of the pears - they could more strongly support the suggestion of the larger curve - maybe arrange to suggest an S-curve by ending with the down-curved stem of the left pear.