Options

Chris and Hannah - Engagement Photos

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Weddings
Ok, so this is my first real engagement shoot. I will be shooting their wedding in May, and am super excited about it, as are they!

I've been friends with Chris for a couple years now, and he asked me to shoot his wedding a couple weeks ago.

I was hoping to start the session at 4:30'ish, it got dark at 5:25, they called and said they would be late, and showed up at 5:10, so I had pretty much no light at all the whole time we were outside. But, I planned ahead, and brought my lighting setup (light stand, SB-600, umbrella, cactus wireless trigger, and my roommate/assistant).

All in all, I like the ones outside waay more than the ones taken inside. I showed them the photos afterward, and they loved them all. They had a total blast during the session, and so did I.

C&C Welcome! Enjoy!

741499800_WkzS7-XL.jpg

741500565_LpaeL-XL.jpg

741500330_rQtpg-XL.jpg

741500212_ZWNQ6-XL.jpg

741500036_QsKU6-XL.jpg

741500861_WWpAA-XL.jpg

741501113_ry7HX-XL.jpg

8. The next two were taken at an abandoned pool near campus. A little tricky to get inside. Had to slip past a big plywood wall that is broken, and crawl through a couple windows to get to the pool. The pool is filled with rain water and is slightly frozen over so I had my assistant place the light stand out on the ice, holding it to make sure it didn't blow over and sink to the bottom. I then leaned out in front of him/around him to get the desired angle. There was literally NO light here. My camera wouldn't even focus. I had to give Chris my cell phone to light up his face, I then auto focused on his eye, and switched my camera to manual focus. So ridiculous! But so worth it!
741501393_FLQq3-XL.jpg

741501244_5UZv4-XL.jpg

741501885_pzLpu-XL.jpg

741501658_GovZH-XL.jpg

EDIT: Fixed exposure... they were a tad underexposed.
Jer

Comments

• Options
    DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Nice pictures. I'm sure you will have fun shooting the wedding. They look they would be good to work with.
    Dale Childress
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Oh, very nice set clap.gif Maybe a bit too dark (for my taste anyway - but nothing you couldn't fix in post ...). Cute couple, I'm sure you'll do a great job at their wedding.

Just one thing. What's hanging out of his pocket? A key"chain"?? deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    DECinNC wrote:
    Nice pictures. I'm sure you will have fun shooting the wedding. They look they would be good to work with.
    Thanks DECinNC, They are extremely easy to work with, especially since we're friends.
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh, very nice set clap.gif Maybe a bit too dark (for my taste anyway - but nothing you couldn't fix in post ...). Cute couple, I'm sure you'll do a great job at their wedding.

Just one thing. What's hanging out of his pocket? A key"chain"?? deal.gif
    Thanks Agnieszka :ivarbowdown.gif

I need to figure out how to properly calibrate my screen. I think I have the brightness set too high. I have a calibrator, so I just need to learn how to use it correctly.

Ack, yeah... we like to call those Lanyards. I didn't notice that till I downloaded them onto my computer. I can clone it out, but I'm gonna wait to see which ones they want to use for stuff before I waste time editing.
    Jer
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    I like the set, but here are some thought for what they're worth: I'm a big fan of smoothing the skin of my subjects in post. I think a bit of gaussian blur blended into no. 1 and 2 would make them more flattering. Also, she's got her eyes closed on some pics.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    I like the set, but here are some thought for what they're worth: I'm a big fan of smoothing the skin of my subjects in post. I think a bit of gaussian blur blended into no. 1 and 2 would make them more flattering. Also, she's got her eyes closed on some pics.

I know alot of people are into the whole, smoothing the skin out trend... but I personally don't like that. It makes them look fake to me.

And I'm curious as to why her eyes being closed in some of them is bad?
    Jer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    really nice setthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif................Glad you pointed me here.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I know alot of people are into the whole, smoothing the skin out trend... but I personally don't like that. It makes them look fake to me.

And I'm curious as to why her eyes being closed in some of them is bad?

Jeremy, there's smoothing and smoothing. I HATE overprocessing in general, but a little bit NEVER hurts - c'mon, don't you want to look your very best in photos? Stray hairs, obvious blemishes, that kind of thing. Especially for engagement and wedding pictures, most gals want the Pretty Pretty Princess treatment so they feel like they're looking their best. Not fake, but lookin' good. Look at Angie's and Heather's work - their ladies NEVER look plasticated or fake, but instead like gorgeous women on a Really Good Hair and Makeup Day. :D

In general, my comment about these is that they're short on processing to really give them some pizzazz. You've got some good shots that are technically sound and capture some sweet moments. Now make them GREAT shots that will make people say "wow!". 5, 7, 9 and 10 are the ones I like the best.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I definitely love #8 so the story of what you had to do to get it too!

I am not too fond of the kissing behind the light pole idea though. And a slight tip, like the Offspring song, gotta keep them separated! I do believe you did a great job with the two, but, you need to change it up a bit with them being close and separate.

I have to say though, I don't like your watermark. ne_nau.gif It is really big and odd.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    Diva, Thanks for your comments, I haven't had time to really go through and edit them extensively yet, but I will try to do some smoothing even though I hate it 98% of the time.
    I definitely love #8 so the story of what you had to do to get it too!

I am not too fond of the kissing behind the light pole idea though. And a slight tip, like the Offspring song, gotta keep them separated! I do believe you did a great job with the two, but, you need to change it up a bit with them being close and separate.

I have to say though, I don't like your watermark. ne_nau.gif It is really big and odd.

Thanks Man! Yeah, that pool was fun, and my abs definitely got a work out trying to get that angle.

They were pretty much glued to each other the whole time! I tried to separate them, but it didn't work so well because it was sooo dark. I only had one flash, so one of them would be lit and the other would be really dark. so I just gave up and had them next to eachother.

I'm having slight issues with my watermark in SmugMug. I'm going to get rid of it. It was fine, but then it got screwed up. headscratch.gif Oh well... come back in a few minutes to see how they look without it. It was meant to be nice and small in the corner, but it somehow became huge and annoying.
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    haha! Especially in #8, it looks like it is gonna skewer your pal's !

If the lighting indoors was a pain, the outdoors could be the spot to do the separation.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    haha! Especially in #8, it looks like it is gonna skewer your pal's !

If the lighting indoors was a pain, the outdoors could be the spot to do the separation.

No, outdoors was pitch black! It got dark out 5 minutes after they showed up... late. The only light I had was some street lights, my flash, and high ISO (only 640 though) The inside wasn't too bad, but by the time we got inside we were all exhausted so the inside pictures didn't turn out too great.
    Jer